When playback incomplete vids, often old deleted vids play

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
neuroxik
New Cone
New Cone

When playback incomplete vids, often old deleted vids play

Postby neuroxik » 14 Dec 2010 09:56

Hey everyone,

I figured these forums would be the best place to ask. First: I'm on Windows XP (SP3) and using VLC 1.1.4 (stable release).

Okay, so often when I want to preview a currently downloading video file, I use VLC to playback the bits it has got if the chunks are large enough to read. Sometimes though, when it fails to do so, it will playback old media (video) that in most cases, I've deleted from my harddrive. Now I'm thinking: either VLC keeps a large chunk of videos in "cache", or it simply still has the reference as to where it's found on the disc. In the case where it's streaming it from a cached version, is there any way to delete that cache? And if so, could somebody be kind enough to tell me where VLC's video cache is stored, or if there's some GUI option inside VLC. I've tried Application Data and stuff, but found nothing relevant yet.

Thanks in advance.

darek82
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows

Re: When playback incomplete vids, often old deleted vids pl

Postby darek82 » 14 Dec 2010 10:52

I just asket exact the same question yesterday. And here's solution: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=85275&p=282215#p282215 and it works :)

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby cybmole » 14 Dec 2010 12:32

it is not a VLC cache issue - easily proven by using a different media player.

VLC is simply playing from the area of your HD which will ( eventually) hold the complete download, and it is playing what happens to be currently at that HD location.

you can prevent it by scrubbing/erasing ( with suitable 3rd pary software) rather than simply deleting old files, so that the old file area is completely obliterated.

neuroxik
New Cone
New Cone

Postby neuroxik » 14 Dec 2010 13:04

it is not a VLC cache issue - easily proven by using a different media player.
VLC is simply playing from the area of your HD which will ( eventually) hold the complete download, and it is playing what happens to be currently at that HD location.
you can prevent it by scrubbing/erasing ( with suitable 3rd pary software) rather than simply deleting old files, so that the old file area is completely obliterated.
Thanks. Yeah, although I had had this "issue" for a while, only tonight did I notice the same thing (and same video playing) when I opened the same file with another player such as KMPlayer.
Anyhow, in my case, these are not sensitive files, so I don't mind them still being playable, but if it were the case, I'd use your method, thanks again.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”