Sound blip's when pausing?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
zxeuk
New Cone
New Cone

Sound blip's when pausing?

Postby zxeuk » 16 Mar 2009 21:53

When I'm using VLC to play video or music when I pause I get a short blip/stutter sound, lasts like half a second. It's only when I pause. not while playing anything. I don't get this in media player or winamp. I use winamp for my music, however I like to use VLC for video as the colour is much better. The only codecs I have installed that I can see is the **SPAM ALERT** codec pack 5.15 with the x64 Components add-on and AC3Filter (newest version). I have tried the player with these uninstalled and it still does it. I also read somewhere it could be something to do with the players low buffering rate. I'm not sure exactly. I've tried default settings and adjusting settings in the player and it still does it. I was wondering if anyone may be able to help me out on here. Or have any suggestions on what settings I need to adjust in the player. At the moment I have everything set to default. These blips are quite annoying...

specs
OS - Vista home premium 64bit
Sound card - Creative X-FI Fatal1ty Pro (latest drivers installed)

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Sound blip's when pausing?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Mar 2009 23:54

try 1.0.0-devel versions.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

zxeuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zxeuk » 17 Mar 2009 00:12

thx for reply, but where can i get the 1.0.0 version? sorry to be a pain.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 17 Mar 2009 13:34

zxeuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zxeuk » 17 Mar 2009 20:37

i tried the 1.0.0 release, but still no luck. any ideas what may be causing this?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 18 Mar 2009 14:15

Have you tried Waveout audio output?
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ#Cra ... _anomalies

zxeuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zxeuk » 19 Mar 2009 04:49

well that win32 waveout extension did improve things, i dont hear any blips, sound when i pause, but when i then play i hear a slight sound, but its not a big deal compared to how it was. What is S/PDIF for?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Mar 2009 18:32

S/PDIF is digital output. For cases where you connect your computer to amplifier using Toslink or coaxial cable.

zxeuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zxeuk » 28 Aug 2010 12:18

Sorry to bump this old thread I created last year, but I just installed the very new 1.1.4 update to try out VLC again, and I'm getting this sound blip issue again... What is the deal with it? I play video, everything's fine, click pause, and it takes a moment for the audio to stop (not instantly), then get this slight audio stutter. It's really bugging me. The Win 32 waveOut extension improves things a little but there is still slight audio blip when I press play to continue playing a video. Also what is with the audio not stopping instantly when pressing pause. Are there certain settings I should be using.

My system
Win 7 Pro 64Bit
E8600 C2D @ 3.33Ghz
4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
ATI HD4870X2
Creative Titanium Fa1tal1ty Pro sound card

Hope this helps!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Aug 2010 18:08

If you have changed caching options, the pause might not be instant anymore. Otherwise it should be instant.

zxeuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zxeuk » 28 Aug 2010 22:40

Only setting I changed was the audio output (Win 32 waveOut extension) everything else default. It's not really a major issue, just thought it wouldn't do it anymore with a newer version of VLC. Maybe it's my sound card :/

SoBugMeNot
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SoBugMeNot » 06 Dec 2010 16:18

Had you installed new drivers for your sound card at the time? I started getting this when I put my sound card into my new system and Windows installed the default drivers. I'm going to install the official Creative drivers and see if it happens, though it shouldn't since it didn't the last time I used the official drivers with this card.

Well I tried using the latest drivers from Creative and I still have stuttering when videos are paused. :cry:

KennyB
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KennyB » 12 Dec 2010 06:02

I have the same problem. I switched to win32 waveout and the blips/pops when pausing went away but when I pause a video the audio keep playing for about 1/4 - 1/2 second after the video stops. When playing a paused video the audio will be out of sync for about 1-2 seconds then it resyncs. I'm using onboard audio(Realtek High Definition Audio) on an intel dh55tc mobo.

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby cybmole » 15 Mar 2012 12:10

I have the same problem. I switched to win32 waveout and the blips/pops when pausing went away but when I pause a video the audio keep playing for about 1/4 - 1/2 second after the video stops. When playing a paused video the audio will be out of sync for about 1-2 seconds then it resyncs. I'm using onboard audio(Realtek High Definition Audio) on an intel dh55tc mobo.
I had this fixed in version 1.somethingr by switching to win out. ( 1.05 , 1.10 not sure which one)

then I rashly upgraded to new version 2.0( keeping my existing perferences) & my audio MP3 playback began dropping out briefly every few secs. so I had to switch from win32 back to default in order to cure that, & now the stutter is back whenever I hit pause.

not happy. what is the best current workaound please.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Mar 2012 16:16

Wait for VLC 2.0.1, it should work better with audio.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 18 Mar 2012 10:17

OK - in the meantime what caching options , if any, could help with reducing stutter ?

also, please note

1. I get the same stutter when reducing playback speed using slower ( fine) hot key to reduce playback speed by 10% ( with time stretch enabled - so that pitch is not altered) that did not happen with v1.1

2. I looked at CPu load during audio playback for both win 32 & directx, in both cases my CPU ( single core pentium 3ghz ) was only at 10 -12 % so it is not lack of cpu that cases stutter or causes audio drop out on win 32 option.

I appreciate i am conbining remarks here, as I have the stutter issue & also the problems with win 32 audio playback option, but I also not that on my dual core PC I can use wither playback option, it is only on my single core that I get win 32 audio drop outs. I suspect there may be a hidden no of threads setting in vlc 2.0 that I need to track down. the old single core pentium is hyper threaded but only 1 core ,

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 18 Mar 2012 13:32

HT matters if you playback certain videos. But forcing threads to 1 should solve it
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2.0 ... r_laggy.29

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 22 Mar 2012 08:47

2.0.1. has not fixed the stutter when you pause or slow the playback speed.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”