VLC closes slowly - Bug in OpenGL output module!!!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Tomorrow

VLC closes slowly - Bug in OpenGL output module!!!

Postby Tomorrow » 25 Nov 2010 11:25

Before it was instantanious but now it just thinks for about 3 seconds(with all files - this is not a specific filetype problem).Source of the problem appears to be "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\vlc\vlcrc" which i guess is the main settings file.With this removed VLC closes instantly when clicked.
The reason i can´t just dump the old settings file is that i have a lot of customized settings there and it would be better to troubleshoot this problem.

So any ideas as to what settings to tinker with that could have effect on VLC closing speed?
I really have no idea what settings to change in order to see if it resolves this problem :?

EDIT:

Ok after 30 min testing i have the culprit: OpenGL video output

Apparently something is wrong with it in 1.1.5 :x
I tested 1.1.4 in virtual machine and 1.1.4 with default settings on clean install closes instantly when using OGL output.1.1.5 with default settings and OGL output thinks about 3 seconds.
I also tested every other output module and none of those exhibited this bug.

Can someone test if they can replicate this problem on 1.1.5?.
Simply open VLC
*Go to advanced settings-video-output modules
*Set the output module to OpenGL.
*Save settings.
*Open any video.
*Close video and observe what happens.

-------------------------------------
This i just great :roll: .It´s not enough that VLC does not(and by the looks of it never will) support EVR output...Now the second best output has this damn bug that limits it´s usability.Well to hell with it.I won´t switch to any other module eiter!(blocky video)

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: VLC closes slowly - Bug in OpenGL output module!!!

Postby solazy » 25 Nov 2010 15:37

Hi Tomorrow :)
I did the test you indicated with Vlc 1.1.5 (under Windows XP), but it closes quickly, even after I set the output module to OpenGL, save settings, quit Vlc (+++), launch Vlc again, open a video, close it etc...

Tomorrow

Postby Tomorrow » 25 Nov 2010 15:51

Im on Windows 7 x64 :wink:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Nov 2010 17:26

The reason i can´t just dump the old settings file is that i have a lot of customized settings there and it would be better to troubleshoot this problem.
You can copy/paste your needed settings to new file.

Tomorrow

Postby Tomorrow » 26 Nov 2010 08:51

You can copy/paste your needed settings to new file.
Unfortunately this won´t work.A friend who tested with mine and his own config file could not reproduce this problem on various OS-es.So it seems this problem is specific to my OS install.
Even if i were to copy all settings to a new file then setting output module to OpenGL - would reintroduce the issue all over again :?

EDIT:
I have downgraded to 1.1.4 for now.Works perfectly.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”