Setting options over the command line

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Fabiroso
New Cone
New Cone

Setting options over the command line

Postby Fabiroso » 13 Oct 2010 15:39

According to the VLC help "vlc --longhelp --full-help" there are a number of command line options that can be used to adjust GUI settings.

The one I was trying to use was the option for disabling update notifications "--no-qt-updates-notif"
But when I launch "vlc --no-qt-updates-notif" and check the options menu, the update notification is still switched on. Also I had a look at the vlcrc file in %appdata%\vlc and the entry in there was qt-updates-notif=1

Just for testing, I also tried "vlc --qt-updates-days=10" to see if I could modify the delay between notifications, but again, looking at the GUI options and the vlcrc file both still showed the default value of 7.

This was on Windows XP so no UAC problems or so on.

Are those command line options maybe buggy in 1.1.4?

Fabiroso
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Setting options over the command line

Postby Fabiroso » 20 Oct 2010 08:51

Tested this on two other PCs too, I'm pretty sure that is a bug in VLC 1.1.4

Can someone maybe verify what happens if they start VLC with the command line option "--qt-updates-days=10" and then goes into Tools->Preferences. The update schedule at the bottom should be 10 days, but it's probably still at the default of 7 days.

secathom
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secathom » 20 Oct 2010 11:32

I can verify.

Win XP
SP3,

regards secathom

ivoire
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: trunk
Operating System: linux (debian sid)

Postby ivoire » 20 Oct 2010 14:11

If you can reproduce it, please fill a bug repport!

tarchon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tarchon » 11 Nov 2010 02:55

I've generally been having trouble with command line options in this version. I can't get any CL option to work if it has an argument, like

Code: Select all

vlc --filter="invert"

vlc --zoom=".1"
don't work but

vlc --fullscreen
does. They do work from the GUI though. I tried the obvious variations like "vlc --filter=invert", "vlc --filter invert". This is kind of a big problem since I need to access a filter that doesn't have a GUI. Same problem whether I use the XP cmd shell or the msys shell. It worked fine as of 1.0.3.

Incidentally, the 1.1.4 tarball distro (vlc-1.1.4.tar.bz2 as of Nov 3rd when I DL'd it) also seems to be missing the Lithuanian language file extras\package\win32\languages\lithuanian.nsh - not sure who that should be reported to, but I ended up having to copy it from git in order to make package-win32.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”