VLC 1.1.0 don't unload when closed under XP

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
achim
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 1.1.0 don't unload when closed under XP

Postby achim » 30 Sep 2010 22:21

I can confirm the bug using Win XP Pro SP3 Patchlevel Sep 2010

The Bug has been present in all Win32 VLC versions since 1.1.0.
1.0.5 was fine.

I have a MS Virtual PC Image of XP3 with VLC installed and the bug does also occur in the VM.

I could send the VPC Image file if there would be any need for it.

Please don't reply to my email adress because I will not read it.

You can contact me via ICQ #340350138 (you will have to answer a question to bypass anti spam robot)
or here in this forum

JoungEunKim
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby JoungEunKim » 01 Oct 2010 01:06

Hello.

I read this part today.

I think most VLC version has same problem.(Start vlc 0.xx...)

Please check about that:

/modules/video_output/msw/event.c

From line No 1157.

if( p_event->hwnd )
PostMessage( p_event->hwnd, WM_NULL, 0, 0);

I think this part is for stop video. But sometimes it lost that message (PostMessage...)

Bye!!!

sacharja
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sacharja » 04 Oct 2010 19:24

This is ridiculous. The problem exists over half a year now and according to the posts here it seems that many users are affected. I think the last posts are very helpful in debugging, so what's the problem? Not reproducable? More info needed?

I think we're all willing to help here to track this down, I already posted some debug info and offered my help to make it reproducable. But we need to know what's needed. Unfortunately I don't know the code and to be honest my programming skills are very poor, but I can track down bugs. I had the hope that we could fix this together within a couple of days, but to be honest I'm getting disappointed without any feedback here.
Last edited by sacharja on 05 Oct 2010 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: windows

Postby rogerdpack » 05 Oct 2010 21:26

@sacharja

problem is reproducing it. Of course, then I haven't had success actually building it in XP, yes, either, so that's my current hangup. That and time.
Cheers!
-r

solazy
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby solazy » 05 Oct 2010 21:43

Hi sacharja,
Here is how I "solved" the problem for weeks now, because i couldn't stand it anymore : I decided to go back to version 1.0.5 and deleted all 1.1.x versions.
At last I don't think of this very annoying bug anymore and with the help of other free players (like MPC - Home Cinema) all goes fine again (if a movie can't be played with VLC, I open it with MPC, or vice-versa)

The day I'll change my OS and quit XP, then only I'll go back to the last VLC version.
Until then, it will be VLC 1.0.5, no matter how many updates are brought to VLC

sacharja
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sacharja » 05 Oct 2010 23:03

@sacharja

problem is reproducing it. Of course, then I haven't had success actually building it in XP, yes, either, so that's my current hangup. That and time.
Cheers!
-r
Thanks, good to hear someones "on it" ;)

As for reproducing. I could reproduce it with a clean Win XP (without codec packs or any software, only a few drivers). This way I could reproduce it:
- installing v1.1.4
- selecting the installer option "delete all settings / cache"
- downloading and saving this test movie to desktop: http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/30129826/file.html (800kb)
- "2Fast_2Furious_720p23.976_51_6.5Mbps.avi" -> right click -> sent to -> vlc
- closing vlc through the "X" after a few seconds playback
The constant result: the tray icon and process remains and can only be closed through the task manager.
Here is how I "solved" the problem for weeks now, because i couldn't stand it anymore : I decided to go back to version 1.0.5 and deleted all 1.1.x versions.
Indeed 1.0.5 works, but there were some serious security issues if I remember it correctly. That's why these version are no solution for me.

solazy

Postby solazy » 08 Oct 2010 18:31

Indeed 1.0.5 works, but there were some serious security issues if I remember it correctly. That's why these version are no solution for me.
Hi sacharja,
I understand your security concern with version 1.0.5, it's detailed here :
http://www.videolan.org/security/sa1003.html

We're not lucky because VLC team never compiled version 1.0.6, though its source program was ready and it solved 1.0.5 security issue as they wrote it in the predecent link :
"Solution : VLC media player 1.0.6 addresses these issues and introduces further stability fixes."

I wonder if it's too late for them to compile 1.0.6 so we'd happily stick with it while our OS is XP : no more "X" button closing issue !
Also the "Building font cache" issue that appeared in 1.0.0 wouldn't show in 1.0.6 :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78236&start=0

PS: please don't ask me to compile it by myself as I don't know how to do that.
If VLC team don't want to compile it, maybe an experimented user could compile 1.0.6 and put it online ?
Sources of 1.0.6 are public, here is the link if anyone is interested :
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/pub/vlc/1.0.6/

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Oct 2010 14:45

I have a MS Virtual PC Image of XP3 with VLC installed and the bug does also occur in the VM.
Can you sahre the VM with us?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

achim
New Cone
New Cone

Postby achim » 12 Oct 2010 01:40

you can download the vpc image with xp sp3 and vlc 1.1.4 from:
it is compressed as a rar archive containing 2 parts:

http://rapidshare.com/files/424502862/S ... .part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/424502770/S ... .part2.rar

compressed size: 661mb
uncompressed size:1,45gb

i could also upload the file to a ftp server if you give me a login, direct download form me is NOT possible because of restrictive firewall policy

ltsnow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ltsnow » 12 Oct 2010 04:53

Hi sacharja,
I understand your security concern with version 1.0.5, it's detailed here :

We're not lucky because VLC team never compiled version 1.0.6, though its source program was ready and it solved 1.0.5 security issue as they wrote it in the predecent link :
"Solution : VLC media player 1.0.6 addresses these issues and introduces further stability fixes."

I wonder if it's too late for them to compile 1.0.6 so we'd happily stick with it while our OS is XP : no more "X" button closing issue !
Also the "Building font cache" issue that appeared in 1.0.0 wouldn't show in 1.0.6 :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78236&start=0

PS: please don't ask me to compile it by myself as I don't know how to do that.
If VLC team don't want to compile it, maybe an experimented user could compile 1.0.6 and put it online ?
Sources of 1.0.6 are public, here is the link if anyone is interested :
Here is the last Windows nightly build of 1.0.6. It is the one that I'm using:

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0329-0202/

solazy

Postby solazy » 12 Oct 2010 13:18

Here is the last Windows nightly build of 1.0.6. It is the one that I'm using:
Thx a lot, I'm gonna use it too.

dnutting1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dnutting1 » 13 Oct 2010 15:11

Just in case it helps pin down where this bug is, I've just installed VLC (fresh download of v1.1.4, Win XP SP3) and experienced the failure to unload.

After a little bit of investigation:
1. The bug appears when I open a .WMA file.
2. But when unloading it isn't that it doesn't unload at all - but that it can take 20 to 30 seconds before it unloads - window disappears and tray icon vanishes - but Task Manager still shows the process - wait 30 seconds and the process has gone. Double-click to open another file during the waiting period and nothing happens - VLC does not reappear / file does not play - and VLC process still eventually quits. Bug is the same whether I click the red X / use Media Quit menu or double-click system menu.
3. Try the same thing but with .AVI or .3GP video and the process unloads / terminates immediately.
4. Haven't tried any other file types, but for the ones of these that I've tried the results are consistent. This is on a PC that has never had VLC installed before.

Good luck!

David

achim
New Cone
New Cone

Postby achim » 13 Oct 2010 17:04

I just wanted to keep you guys on track:
j-b tested my VPC Image and is finally able to reproduce the bug. Although we still have no idea what does the bug occur on some xp machines and others not, he now will be able to track the bug down.

We all can sit and relax now and let the pros do the work.
There might be a fix for this annoying bug very soon.
Until then I suggest using the 1.0.6 nightly build announced by "itsnow".

ltsnow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ltsnow » 14 Oct 2010 13:22

Glad you folks liked the link to 1.0.6 because it took some time to find. Now, however, I am having some problems with 1.0.6 (1.0.5 has always been good). Without going into them I have now tried 1.1.4 as a portable (zip). All my movies are in flv, ogv, or avi formats. I have tried repeatedly to open and close them, and have found that VLC always terminates when I right-click and select "Quit". But with the X in the corner it does not. I can live with that until the fix is found.

Reinhart
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Reinhart » 21 Oct 2010 22:27

*bump*

Any news on this topic, which actually prevents most Windows XP users to use the current VLC 1.1.x version?
(I guess many of them will think VLC is buggy and don't use VLC at all. They will hardly know they could still use VLC 1.0.5 ...)

secathom
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secathom » 22 Oct 2010 08:43

I just wanted to keep you guys on track:
j-b tested my VPC Image and is finally able to reproduce the bug. Although we still have no idea what does the bug occur on some xp machines and others not, he now will be able to track the bug down.

We all can sit and relax now and let the pros do the work.
There might be a fix for this annoying bug very soon.
Until then I suggest using the 1.0.6 nightly build announced by "itsnow".
@ reinhart, did u actually read this ???

regards,

secathom

solazy

Postby solazy » 22 Oct 2010 17:19

Hi secathom,

As this topic was bumped, I would like to add some comments (nothing personal with you)
What makes me a bit sad is this :

Why can't XP users (like me and millions else) use the last "stable" VLC release, without that very annoying "X closing" bug, without any security issue, until a fix has been released (if it will ever be fixed one day) ?

The last stable VLC release for XP, without security issues, is NOT the nighly build 1.06 : why ?
1) because it's not the final 1.06 (even user "itsnow", who kindly showed us the link of this nighly build, wrote this : "now, however, I am having some problems with 1.0.6 (1.0.5 has always been good)"

2) More important, because the major security problem affecting all VLC releases from 1.0.5 and under has been fixed in 1.0.6 on 21 April 2010, as clearly written at the end of the following link :

3) And the nighly build 1.0.6 (exe) was released...3 weeks BEFORE (29 March 2010) the security issue was found, which means the nightly build 1.0.6 has real security issues :

4) Now let's go to the FINAL VLC 1.0.6 release found here :
As you can see, the source date is correct : 21 April 2010, which means the major security issues found in 1.0.5 has been fixed in 1.0.6

So the ONLY remaining question is : Why didn't VLC staff compile this 1.0.6 version on 21 April 2010 ?

It's exactly 6 months now we're having problems (21 April => 21 October) when it would have taken them a few MINUTES to compile it and write anywhere : "XP users, until we find a fix for this very annoying "X closing" issue, here is the last stable release 1.0.6 you should use if you want to get rid of this "X closing" issue AND if you want to get rid of the major security issues found in 1.0.5, they have been fixed in FINAL 1.0.6 on 21 April 2010"

If they had done it that way, a lot of us won't be complaining now, using a ridiculous 1.0.5 when we KNOW it's full of security problems.

Honestly guys, I can't understand the purpose of showing us the 1.0.6 source (for 6 months now) when there isn't the corresponding exe ! Just delete the 1.0.6 source page, or compile it quickly, but don't let it show to everybody and tell them : "compile it yourself !"

We don't know how to compile it, and we understand you had a lot of work with 1.1.0+ at the time.
But why didn't it you end the 1.0.6 release completely, by compiling it on 21 April 2010 ?
How much time does it take to compile a release : minutes? hours? days?

That's a question that really makes me wonder : is it too late for you now to compile it ?

I apologize if I was a bit rude with my post, but I loved VLC so much, and because of this stupid bug and the fact I'm forced to use a 1.0.5 release (though I know it has major security issues) when there is a pending final 1.0.6 ... uncompiled, I just can't understand why VLC staff never wanted to compile the final 1.0.6 release :(

ltsnow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ltsnow » 23 Oct 2010 03:14

Solazy, very good post. I am now also wondering the same thing. BTW, give 1.1.4 a try. As I noted all you have to do is get in the habit of using "exit" from the "media" menu. So far it works fine on every media file I have played.

secathom
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secathom » 25 Oct 2010 08:05

Hi,

i did not want to offent somebody. I actually didnt like this rude behaviour against the developers, who do their best at this topic.
I am running into the same problem, so I can understand ur mentioning.
at least I think we have to wait until the next release is getting out :)

vlcclv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcclv » 10 Nov 2010 12:37

Greetings. I am a brand new VLC user - got the archive straight from www.videolan.org and verified the md5 signature. The program looks absolutely incredible, but I have had so many issues, that I have already removed it. Unlike typical users who find a problem and probably just remove the software and never make a post on the community forums, I am so impressed with the potential of this software that I thought I would take the time to make a considerate post here to hopefully help the developers and community address some of the issues.

All experimentation I performed was with XP Pro SP3 with all current patches. Several of the issues are covered in this thread: When exiting using the close 'x' icon in the upper right corner, the application never exits properly. Using Ctrl+Q is a workaround, but I rarely use the keyboard when viewing videos, so I tend to keep on hitting the 'x', resulting in VLC not closing properly.

I read that turning on the skinnable mode could fix this problem, so I did that. But when skinnable mode is turned on, pressing Ctrl+P no longer brings up the preferences dialog box. Manually opening the Preferences dialog box, then closing it, and then trying to exit VLC causes VLC to not close at all, requiring Task Manager to close it. So, basically, in skinnable mode, the user cannot access the Preferences dialog box without causing VLC to not be able to close. So skinnable mode is not an option.

I also noticed that when experimenting with VLC, the right-click context menu would not appear at all in some cases (especially when trying out the skinnable mode).

When attempting to open all files in a large directory with many subdirectories ("open folder option"), VLC would crash every time.

When trying to use the Goom visualization option, VLC would crash every time (in both skinnable and native modes).

When in skinnable mode, right clicking (get context menu) -> Interface -> Effects and Filters, and then selecting the Spatialization tab and then the Equalizer tab and then clicking the little red 'x' in the upper right corner to close the Effects and Filters dialog box would cause right clicking anywhere in VLC to stop working; also exiting VLC would stop working after doing this procedure. A workaround I found was to minimize and then restore the VLC window.

After spending a few hours experimenting with VLC, I was amazed by its potential. I looks absolutely incredible. But it crashed so many times, could not close probably, lost its own context menu, and had so many problems that I chose to remove it.

Hopefully this post can help the developers and community improve VLC. I would love to try it again sometime.

vlcclv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcclv » 12 Nov 2010 07:47

I was thinking about why would so many users of such a popular program have so many identical reproduceable problems (which I gather by this thread having relatively a huge number of hits and posts, combined with plenty of similar posts in the forums), but others would have no problem. Then it dawned on me: perhaps we are not all running the same program. So I downloaded the installer version, the zip version, and the 7-zip version for Windows. I would expect the zip version and 7-zip archives to be identical (just with different compression), but I was surprised to see that they are not. The 7-zip version has .nsi and .nsh files as well as uac.dll, where the zip archive does not. The installer version has files related to the installer (which is to be expected) as well as iospecial.ini, which just guessing, is not related to the installer (but that is just a guess).

As far as the compressed files that are duplicated amongst the different downloads, I could find no binary differences between them, which is a good thing!

Bottom line is that the contents (which files are included) of the zip and 7-zip archives are not the same (but files in common are the same), and there MAY be some differences in what files are included between them and the installer version which goes beyond what is required for the installer (meaning, something to look into, but I do not have the experience with vlc to know which files are required by its installer).

Since files in common amongst the archives and installer version are all identical (assuming I did not make an error!), I think my hypothesis that this could be a reason why some people experience problems and others do not is probably false. However, given that there are some differences of WHICH files are in the different compressed archives and installer, someone with more experience with vlc may want to look into it.

achim
New Cone
New Cone

Postby achim » 12 Nov 2010 21:17

IMPORTANT:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 1112-0203/
the latest nightly build of 1.1.5 fixes the X-Closing-Bug for me!!!
Finally no security issues and no bug! I'm glad :-)

(1.2.0 nightly (trunk-20101112-0003) seems still broken...)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Nov 2010 00:13

IMPORTANT:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 1112-0203/
the latest nightly build of 1.1.5 fixes the X-Closing-Bug for me!!!
Finally no security issues and no bug! I'm glad :-)

(1.2.0 nightly (trunk-20101112-0003) seems still broken...)
Confirmed. I fixed the bug... But so far, fixing it provoke another issue... I've spent my last 2 days on it... This is insane.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Nov 2010 19:43

1.1.5 should fix the bug. Thanks to achim, who instead of complaining and insulting the team has provided a VM to reproduce the issue.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

solazy

Postby solazy » 14 Nov 2010 02:34

Oh yessssssss "X" closes fine in 1.1.5 release
Thanks Achim and JB :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”