vlc 1.1.3 not opening on clicking registered file types

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

vlc 1.1.3 not opening on clicking registered file types

Postby MacEachaidh » 20 Aug 2010 22:54

Hi all,
I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem?

Since I allowed the update to VLC 1.1.3 (running on Windows XP), I find that the app no longer responds to double-clicking on a registered file type when it's already open.

If VLC is already running (but not actively playing anything), and in Windows Explorer I double-click on a file type that's registered to VLC, then nothing happens. It doesn't open the file into VLC, and VLC doesn't play. If I shut down VLC first, then double-click on the file, it opens a session of VLC again and plays the file. And in VLC, if I open the file from the "File" menu, then VLC will play it fine.

I've never had this problem in previous versions of VLC - only since the update to 1.1.3. When I installed the update, I allowed it to remove the previous installation, including the cache and user settings. When it had installed, the only two changes I made to the defaults were in the interface settings - to choose to allow only one instance of VLC at a time, and to deselect the option for the window to resize according to the video file.

I haven't seen any mention of this issue in the forum, so I wonder if this is not the general experience of this version. Has anyone else encountered this?

Icicle
New Cone
New Cone

Re: vlc 1.1.3 not opening on clicking registered file types

Postby Icicle » 21 Aug 2010 02:22

My install does something similar, but it will *eventually* open the file. It now (with 1.1.3) takes about 25 seconds to respond and open the new file. During this time my explorer folder window gives me the hourglass. This didn't used to happen before I upgraded (today).

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MacEachaidh » 23 Aug 2010 15:54

Thanks for confirming I'm not alone in this at least, Icicle. I'm sorry to hear you're having a similar experience.

But I'm very surprised no-one else has responded, or apparently lodged similar questions in the forum. If it's not the behaviour most people are observing, I'd love some help in finding what makes the difference. I've tried to troubleshoot, but it happens even in safe mode with no other apps running, so it seems to be the app itself, not a conflict with anything else.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them.

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MacEachaidh » 31 Aug 2010 19:43

Sheesh.

Mods, Admins, whoever ... a comment in this thread might have been nice, even if it was just to say "We have no idea".

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Sep 2010 18:12

Long opening times are usually cured if you remove %appdata%\vlc folder. (some security tools like Anti Virus tools can also cause additional delay)

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MacEachaidh » 01 Sep 2010 18:30

VLC_help, I'm not experiencing long opening times - the files aren't opening at all.

Since I posted here, the 1.1.4 update has come through. It hasn't resolved the problem.

eSPee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eSPee » 05 Oct 2010 13:02

I also have the same problem. Can anybody help or shall I just uninstall this program and try something else?

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MacEachaidh » 06 Oct 2010 09:21

Hi eSPee, I think the problem may be generated somehow in the automatic update process. For several versions now, every time it's auto-updated this problem has arisen.

VLC_Help may be right in what he/she has posted above, but I found the only way to fix this was to uninstall (including the customised settings) and re-install from scratch, after deleting all the program folders (in "Program Files" as well as in "Documents and Settings\%user%\Application Data). Just deleting the folder in "Application Data" wasn't enough.

Gotta say that having to post multiple times before getting any reply, and then getting the dismissive one I got, hasn't exactly endeared me to the program. Yes, it's free, and they owe me nothing, but I'd also like to think that the developers care about whether it works or not, even if only for their own purposes. That's not the impression this incident has given me.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth, I've found this has worked for me: uninstall and delete both app folders, re-install from scratch, and disable automatic updates.

Raptur
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Raptur » 27 Jan 2014 00:46

Just had this problem, fully updated, no apparent recent auto update. Checked task manager, found a vlc process while no application was running. When I ended the process double clicks started working agian. I was tipped off because the file that gave me the first problem was on external media, and when i tried to safe remove it I got an access error though no application was accessing it. I guess its just a hickup. I had been checking if the files worked and opened a dozen in less than a minute closing vlc between each. Must have gotten something confused.

Harlequin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Harlequin » 05 Feb 2017 16:28

An old thread, I know, but I've been experiencing the same this problem recently, which is cured by Raptur's suggestion above.

I'm using Windows 10 and VLC 2.2.4 and found that clicking on media files (any sort) in File Explorer would no longer launch VLC even after double-checking associations. If I changed an association to Windows Media Player, for example, it would auto-launch. But returning the association to VLC it again stalled out.

Opening Task Manager, I found VLC open in Processes. Deleting it with End Task did the trick and VLC now auto-launches from Explorer again.

This has happened a couple of times now, so maybe worth exploring what's going on, so it can be corrected for the next update?

Again, thanks to Raptur for posting his tip!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”