Codec Error: Use Windows Media Player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
grace
New Cone
New Cone

Codec Error: Use Windows Media Player

Postby grace » 11 Sep 2009 20:55

Everytime I try to play my downloaded utorrent movies in VLC, the screen says "Codec Error: Use Windows Media Player", then "Aborting Video, Redirecting to Microsoft Codec Download Page" And when I try to play the same video in Windows media player, screen says the same thing. Is this a problem with the downloaded videos or with my media players? I have the latest VLC and K lite Pack. I got my movie torrents from the Seedpeers site. Please help!

kemahudson
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Codec Error: Use Windows Media Player

Postby kemahudson » 12 Sep 2009 06:02

Exact same problem Im having.

Not as an error message but a text overlay atop the video anytime I try to open one in VLC.

Codec Error : Use windows media player

Both the video and audio plays for a moment behind the message and then vlc closes.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Sep 2009 14:06

You have downloaded trojan videos. I would suggest removing them and doing virus and spyware scans to your computer.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 12 Sep 2009 14:11

These videos are 'hacked' videos that contain scripts which can be executed by WMP only. The purpose of this is to force you to be redirected to another site and/or to download some stuff in the background.
If you can't play them in WMP then it's a good sign meaning that your Windows and WMP are correctly patched with the latest security updates.

Anyway you should delete these videos as soon as possible because they may compromise the security of your computer if they are played in WMP.

EDIT:
Bah VLC_help beats me :P

grace
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grace » 14 Sep 2009 18:37

Helo guys i think you are both wrong, i found out that my utorrent was infected by a trojan that infects every movie torrent i downloaded with it, so i shifted to vuze and everything's ok now. Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

XweAponX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.5 and 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows 7 and 8

Postby XweAponX » 15 Sep 2009 00:39

Krikes! I know to look out for THAT now!

Thanx for the warning... I always scan everything I get anyway.

I can't imagine uTorrent itself getting hackeysacked!

Try deleting it... and getting rid of all the leftover files.

I like the uTorrent client cos I can control what I'm doing better... On the Mac I gotta use Transmission, and there is practically no control over anything.

Brase
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Brase » 17 Sep 2009 09:29

I agree with Lotesdelere..When u try to open it in WMP they send u to wmvlicense.com/pluginerror/..don't try to download it if u aren't protected, it will try to download and open Trojan horse SHeur2.BDRX...After scaning wmvlicense.com/pluginerror/ :"When we tested this site we found links to xxxlexelink.com, which we found to be a distributor of downloads some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs."

grace
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grace » 27 Sep 2009 14:31

Well, after deleting the infected movies, my infected utorrent and all its left over files,and running my anti spyware, anti virus, etc., the fresh utorrent i downloaded still showed trojan spyware in it. Anyway I am happy with Vuze, uninfected and downloads the movies much much faster as is than utorrent does.:D

grace
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grace » 26 Oct 2009 08:01

Vuze downloads, so far so good. It even has a built-in player. I get my movie torrents from Mininova thru Torrentz.com (choose those with checked marks), all good quality and have never encountered fake ones.

evamelavc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby evamelavc » 08 Nov 2009 11:45

is it posible that the movie that i downloaded from utorrent doesn't work beacuse it's not in the cinemas yet??

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 Nov 2009 13:57

is it posible that the movie that i downloaded from utorrent doesn't work beacuse it's not in the cinemas yet??
Wrong forum. Release date doesn't matter unless file is DRM-protected which is quite rare in proper releases (videos spiced up with Trojan downloaders can contain DRM).

vikas
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vikas » 08 Dec 2009 08:49

Everytime I try to play my downloaded utorrent movies in VLC, the screen says "Codec Error: Use Windows Media Player", then "Aborting Video, Redirecting to Microsoft Codec Download Page" And when I try to play the same video in Windows media player, screen says the same thing. Is this a problem with the downloaded videos or with my media players? I have the latest VLC and K lite Pack. I got my movie torrents from the Seedpeers site. Please help!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Dec 2009 12:16

This is a pirated movie with spyware.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

sblair2049
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sblair2049 » 25 Dec 2009 03:54

It was mentioned that using Vuze solves this problem. I've never used anything but Vuze and it even happens when I try to play the video right on Vuze or if I burn it to a DVD and try to play it with VLC or Media Classic Player. Sometimes it happens with Xvid or avi and sometimes they work just fine. I've tried everything. I've got the latest VLC and all of the available updates and codec fixes for WMP. I keep checking for viruses and my three checkers say there is nothing wrong. HELP!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Dec 2009 16:17

HELP!
What is the problem?

1madkiwi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 1madkiwi » 02 Jan 2010 22:47

Well every time i download a demonoid movie i get the use windows media is it something with the tracker?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Jan 2010 15:42

Don't download sh!tty files. You have downloaded videos which will try to download virus/trojan/spyware to your computer if you try to open them with WMP.

nonnonsky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nonnonsky » 01 Mar 2010 20:07

it's a virus, so update your antivirus, then rename the video file estensions from avi to exe, your antivirus will automatically detect the virus in the video file, so click repair or clean button... then rename the file to avi

sorry for my english....

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Mar 2010 18:57

it's a virus, so update your antivirus, then rename the video file estensions from avi to exe, your antivirus will automatically detect the virus in the video file, so click repair or clean button... then rename the file to avi
Don't do that. Just remove the file, it doesn't contain any good video.

yakacm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yakacm » 17 Aug 2010 23:25

Thanks for that guys, I have seen this a few times, it always has the spining world, and trumpet riff you get @ the start of Universal filums, I have always wondered what it was, I think it probably occured to me that it was something dogey, you have got to give them props for trying thou it's pretty original infection vector, evil genius you might say, wwwwhhhoooooohahahaha Etc, Etc.

guzelino
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guzelino » 30 Aug 2010 01:08

Hello,

I recently encountered the same error (I guess it is a trojan video file).

But the question that keeps ringing in my head, is that the video file is about 700 MB, which would mean that the movie is there, so any luck or hints as to how to remove the "trojan" that wants to open the webpage and continue watching the movie ??

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby cybmole » 30 Aug 2010 09:10

when did the VLC forum becaome an advice centre for piracy ?

can we get back to fixing the bugs in the 1.1 vlc series please.

PS - if previous poster is that desparate to watch his infected + stolen "movie" - then burn it to CD or DVd, put DVd into stand-alone DVD player... then go away.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Aug 2010 15:41

It won't work in stand-alone DVD player.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 31 Aug 2010 08:57

HELP!
What is the problem?
the "problem " has nothing to do with VLC - it's about playing illegal downloads of movies which are virus infected - just lock the thread.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 31 Aug 2010 16:30

Those files usually don't contain copyrighted material. So they aren't illegal in that sense.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”