VLC can't recognize the input's format:

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
kr-

VLC can't recognize the input's format:

Postby kr- » 21 Aug 2010 23:02

In folder I have mp3 media file named "Maggie Reilly - Everytime we touch.mp3" and txt lyrics file named "Maggie Reilly - Everytime we touch.txt".

Whenewer mp3 file is played, vlc show me error with this text:
"VLC can't recognize the input's format:
The format of 'file:///G:/%21%21%21Mp3/2-mp3/Maggie%20Reilly%20-%20Everytime%20we%20touch.txt' cannot be detected. Have a look at the log for details."

Maybe vlc think it's subtitle file, but mp3 is not video format...

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC can't recognize the input's format:

Postby gazzawazza » 22 Aug 2010 02:46

hi kr

Don't worry - the same thing happens to me.

I cannot explain why but I simply know that this happens (I'm using VLC 1.1.4 on vista 32bit... but it has happened to me with earlier versions as well).

I have a lot of internet radio DJ mixes and I keep the track listings for the mixes in .txt files in the same folder. These .txt files have the same name as the mp3 files e.g. "djmix.mp3" and "djmix.txt"

I think it is simply because VLC tries to play .txt files because they are in the same folder as your mp3 files and have same name as the mp3 file. I don't know why VLC does not not ignore them.

I have found that if you just play, as in my example, "djmix.mp3" and no other track, everything is fine... but if you have more than one track in the playlist (or are just playing your media Library), VLC will try and process the .txt file as well.

I know this is not a fix but at least you know you are not alone :)

Cheers,

Gazza

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Aug 2010 17:31

Known issue. VLC tries to autoload .txt files as subtitles. I sent patch about this to mailing list, but people didn't want to merge this.

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 22 Aug 2010 18:06

Known issue. VLC tries to autoload .txt files as subtitles. I sent patch about this to mailing list, but people didn't want to merge this.
Hi VLC_help

Thanks for the update.

I'm not sure what this mailing list is?

Do you mean you've got a patch but people have decided not to add it to a new build (as yet)?

Cheers,

G

kr-

Postby kr- » 23 Aug 2010 07:36

can you shed more details into this, who and why don't want?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”