Alright, Alright I Won't Use Media Library Anymore! Sheesh!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
OliverSudden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Alright, Alright I Won't Use Media Library Anymore! Sheesh!

Postby OliverSudden » 21 Aug 2010 22:37

By disabling the Media Library functionality since 1.1.0, you've convinced me to change my evil Media Library-using ways. I vow to never use it again, you have my word. Think about altering the UI to remove these Media Library elements. Me? I'm good to go...but leaving these UI elements intact could confuse others. They might erroneously believe there's a functioning Media Library feature otherwise. Food for thought.

I shall think back fondly on those heady pre-1.1.0 days when I could add an entire folder to the media library. With 1.1.3, adding folders doesn't work at all anymore but boy, when it did work, it was the shiznit. Woo! I could add folders, and not just parent/child folders but multiple folders on different drives. Ahh, it was great.

Well, back to reality! Ta!

-Oliver

[edit] I've uninstalled 1.1.3 and am now happily using 1.0.5 since it features a working Media Library. I guess I broke my word. Sorry. I guess I needs my ML fix, I needs it, I needs it! :shock: But as a bonus, 1.0.5 doesn't spend several minutes pointlessly building a font cache. :mrgreen:
Hey, why don't you have a compiled version of 1.0.6 on your ftp legacy page? Only the source is available. What gives?

dragonAMD
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Alright, Alright I Won't Use Media Library Anymore! She

Postby dragonAMD » 22 Aug 2010 12:42

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Aug 2010 15:20

By disabling the Media Library functionality since 1.1.0, you've convinced me to change my evil Media Library-using ways. I vow to never use it again, you have my word. Think about altering the UI to remove these Media Library elements. Me? I'm good to go...but leaving these UI elements intact could confuse others. They might erroneously believe there's a functioning Media Library feature otherwise. Food for thought.

I shall think back fondly on those heady pre-1.1.0 days when I could add an entire folder to the media library. With 1.1.3, adding folders doesn't work at all anymore but boy, when it did work, it was the shiznit. Woo! I could add folders, and not just parent/child folders but multiple folders on different drives. Ahh, it was great.

Well, back to reality! Ta!

-Oliver

[edit] I've uninstalled 1.1.3 and am now happily using 1.0.5 since it features a working Media Library. I guess I broke my word. Sorry. I guess I needs my ML fix, I needs it, I needs it! :shock: But as a bonus, 1.0.5 doesn't spend several minutes pointlessly building a font cache. :mrgreen:
Hey, why don't you have a compiled version of 1.0.6 on your ftp legacy page? Only the source is available. What gives?
You are so not clear...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

OliverSudden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OliverSudden » 28 Aug 2010 16:38

You are so not clear...
That's what I get for trying to inject sarcasm in written compositions. My comp professor warned me this would happen.

That is, in fact, the trouble with the internet: it relies too heavily on the written word during a time which very few can write well. If the internet came out 50 years ago, I think it would've been better for the written word. As it stands now, print has been dead for decades and for people to expect to communicate effectively using only print...

Let me put it this way, people communicating with only the written word works just about as well as the Media Library in VLC post-1.1.0. ZING! :lol:

The language barrier doesn't help either, or am I being presumptuous?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Aug 2010 18:12

More details, please. We cannot fix anything unless someone tells exactly what the problem is and how it can be replicated.

OliverSudden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OliverSudden » 28 Aug 2010 21:52

My troubles with the Media Library feature (the original post of this thread) in VLC had specifically to do with version 1.1.3 so it's more or less moot now. Why is it moot, you may ask? Because 1.1.4 is out, obviously. 1.1.4 criticisms will be made moot once 1.1.5 is released and so on.

I brought my Media Library (ML) concerns to light on with version 1.1.0 on July 18. 1.1.1's ML mixed all the files together despite the "display tree view" being checked. And on Aug 4 with 1.1.2 when adding folders to the ML crashed VLC entirely. I was told that 1.1.3 would fix this. Granted, adding folders to the ML in 1.1.3 no longer caused a crash. Instead, the act of adding folders to the ML in 1.1.3 had no effect at all. The program did not provide any response whatever. Program testing be damned! :shock:

It was as though you were slowly removing the Media Library function altogether, like evolution slowly eliminates superfluous organs like the appendix and our vestigial tail. I interpreted this progression as an inducement to stop using the Media Library, tongue-in-cheek: is that strictly an American idiom? If so, let me say simply that this original post was written in jest but meant to address a problem in earnest.

Plus, this issue of the font cache. Based on a response to my Aug 3 post, the font cache is created because "some MKV files have very font heavy A SS subtitle files." So is it normal for a font cache to be created if you're opening an xvid avi file?

I've solved these problems by using version 1.0.5. Am I adventurous enough to give 1.1.4 a try? Probably not, given the way I use this program. I do not stream anything nor do I remote control anything. I just require a simple video player due to the fact that I loathe Divx (which is itself very buggy) and Windows Media Player (winner of the World's Least User-Friendliness Award 10 years running). And how about that name? Talk about creativity!

Your claims of 1.1.x being more stable than 1.0.5 are belied by my experiences so I'll continue to wallow in instability. :mrgreen:

Ta for now,
Oliver

ldhateley
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ldhateley » 02 Sep 2010 13:26

Hi Guys,
just installed v1.1.4 and when l try to play avi files the picture flashes at me unwatchable v 1.0.5 works like a charm went back to that version.
all versions l have tried since 1.0.5 have had issues ie color mismatching on avi files and picture flashing.
as l only use this as a basic player to play files been very happy upto version 1.0.5 later versions have issues.
using basic asus 1000h netbook avi file recorded by camstudio v 2.00 screen capture program 1024x600 resolution

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Sep 2010 10:59

Does this happen with all AVI files? Or only with certain ones?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”