vlc icons not working

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MaximilianKohler
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

vlc icons not working

Postby MaximilianKohler » 16 Aug 2010 06:26

I've been running xp pro and haven't ever had any problems. Just upgraded to win7 64bit and I think this started happening after I tried the mozilla plugin... not sure though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it without the plugin though and it's still happening.

icons on video.mpg for example still show the cone icon properly but as you can see in the taskbar and every where else the vlc program icons are broken http://www.flickr.com/photos/41780822@N ... /lightbox/

I've reinstalled it and cleared preferences and cache a number of times. They come back sometimes, usually after I uninstall dvix or quicktime. I tried deleting iconcache.db then restarting like I saw in another thread here but that didn't work either.

MaximilianKohler
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: vlc icons not working

Postby MaximilianKohler » 18 Aug 2010 03:24

will I have to reformat to get the normal icons back? but even if I do reformat I want to know what not to do so this doesn't happen again :/

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 18 Aug 2010 18:38

How does it look if you navigate to VLC install directory?

MaximilianKohler
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MaximilianKohler » 20 Aug 2010 04:16

Only the uninstall.exe has the cone icon http://www.flickr.com/photos/41780822@N ... otostream/

when I uninstall there is a folder left - I think it's the plugin one - and I've deleted that after I uninstalled but I don't think it did anything

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Aug 2010 15:02

If you extract .zip version to some folder, does the icon show up correctly? Or if you rename vlc.exe to vlc2.exe?

MaximilianKohler
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MaximilianKohler » 20 Aug 2010 17:06

lol the icon shows after I renamed it to vlc2.exe - but just for the main file in that folder, not all the other shortcuts

I can't extract the binary version into that folder, "cannot open output file" or "access is denied - cannot create output folder xxxx"

oh, I extracted it somewhere else and yes the icon shows in the folder and when I open it it shows in the taskbar

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”