vlc 1.1.0 subtitles auto mode regression

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: vlc 1.1.0 subtitles auto mode regression

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 27 Jun 2010 03:04

Perhaps for some reason VLC consider the msgid part instead the msgstr part ?
vlc_pgettext() was bugged in 1.1.0 but that's not really specific to subs. I can see that function used in 7 different places at least, one of which is subs. The PO file is fine.

But I am afraid that's only part of the problem. Currently, we have:
  • 46 locales that do not define the character encoding (and use the US default, CP1252),
  • 16 locales with CP1252 explicitly (some of them are clearly wrong, e.g. Japanese),
  • 2 locales with CP1250 (seems smaller than it should),
  • 1 locale with CP1255, CP1257, CP950 and GB18030 each.
So the same old problem with missing settings for some locales remains. There is only so much developers can do without translators or with translators that don't read comments and the translators mailing list.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 27 Jun 2010 08:32

vlc_pgettext() was bugged in 1.1.0 but that's not really specific to subs. I can see that function used in 7 different places at least, one of which is subs. The PO file is fine.
Can you enumerate a few so I can check the functionality ?

Cristi
... I think it's too hard to think

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 27 Jun 2010 17:02

The real question is: what has changed between 1.0.5 and 1.1.0 and when was the first regression?
Exactly.
The root of the trouble needs to be found out.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 27 Jun 2010 19:23

Code: Select all

modules/codec/subtitles/subsdec.c: const char *acp = vlc_pgettext("GetACP", "CP1252"); modules/gui/qt4/components/controller_widget.cpp: volMuteLabel->setToolTip(qfu(vlc_pgettext("Tooltip|Unmute", "Unmute"))); modules/gui/qt4/components/controller_widget.cpp: volMuteLabel->setToolTip( qfu(vlc_pgettext("Tooltip|Mute", "Mute")) ); modules/gui/qt4/util/customwidgets.cpp: clearButton->setToolTip( qfu(vlc_pgettext("Tooltip|Clear", "Clear")) ); modules/video_output/xcb/window.c: vlc_pgettext ("ASCII", "VLC media player")); modules/video_output/xcb/window.c: vlc_pgettext ("ASCII", "VLC"));
Rémi Denis-Courmont

ApostolPavel
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.0
Operating System: a lot

Postby ApostolPavel » 05 Jul 2010 19:42

I confirm the same problem with CP1251 (cyrillic, russian) subtitles after upgrade to 1.1.0 version of VLC player for Windows.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Jul 2010 08:11

Can you try to force it?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ApostolPavel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ApostolPavel » 06 Jul 2010 10:14

After setting the default encoding as "Cyrillic (Windows-1251)" it shows correctly.

Damien
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Damien » 22 Jul 2010 03:02

Ηello.I just tried 1.1.1 and the problem remains,needs manually(at least with greek).I have my system in english and greek as a regional setting.When installed and checked the subtitles tab it was set at windows 1252(my system language,english) instead of windows 1253(my regional setting and preferred subs language,greek).

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 22 Jul 2010 07:42

Ηello.I just tried 1.1.1 and the problem remains,needs manually(at least with greek).I have my system in english and greek as a regional setting.When installed and checked the subtitles tab it was set at windows 1252(my system language,english) instead of windows 1253(my regional setting and preferred subs language,greek).
For some weird reason, in 1.1.x they decided that the default subtitles encoding in VLC rely on the VLC interface language translation at the time the movie is played, instead of taking that info from the system regional setting (perhaps based on Linux philosophy, ignoring the fact that in Windows the UI language, even of the OS itself, has nothing to do with the regional settings).

In your case, the simple fact that VLC interface is set to English will tell to the automatic subtitles encoding that the subtitle is supposed to be in Western. More than that, it appears that even if you would set the VLC interface to Greek, the automatic subtitles encoding will still go wrong, because the Greek translation is incomplete and misses the part that instruct VLC what encoding Greek language uses.

Cristi
... I think it's too hard to think

ApostolPavel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ApostolPavel » 22 Jul 2010 18:06

In the new version 1.1.1 I have "Default (Windows-1252) instead former option "Auto" in Subtitles > Default encoding.
Now I should to switch the encoding any time I have different encoding of my russian subtiles file: 1251, KOI8-R, Unicode. Manual setting works good, but it's not good.
Please, restore this option as it was in 1.0.5.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 Jul 2010 20:00

I personally agree and support that.
But I have the feeling it's going to take a LONG time to get rid of this stupid regression...

New Cone
New Cone

Postby 6462 » 03 Aug 2010 21:43

same problem with persian subtitle.
plz back auto encoding option just like vlc 1.0.5

Damien
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Damien » 04 Aug 2010 23:11

For some weird reason, in 1.1.x they decided that the default subtitles encoding in VLC rely on the VLC interface language translation at the time the movie is played, instead of taking that info from the system regional setting (perhaps based on Linux philosophy, ignoring the fact that in Windows the UI language, even of the OS itself, has nothing to do with the regional settings).

In your case, the simple fact that VLC interface is set to English will tell to the automatic subtitles encoding that the subtitle is supposed to be in Western. More than that, it appears that even if you would set the VLC interface to Greek, the automatic subtitles encoding will still go wrong, because the Greek translation is incomplete and misses the part that instruct VLC what encoding Greek language uses.

Cristi
Just to confirm you are right,I tried 1.1.2 on a friends system that's in greek(and of course installed vlc in greek) and still had the same (wrong) result.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 17 Aug 2010 17:57

In the new version 1.1.1 I have "Default (Windows-1252) instead former option "Auto" in Subtitles > Default encoding.
Now I should to switch the encoding any time I have different encoding of my russian subtiles file: 1251, KOI8-R, Unicode. Manual setting works good, but it's not good.
Note that "Auto" was doing the exact same thing as "Default (Windows-1252)" does now. That is to say, it tries UTF-8 and falls back to the encoding inside the parenthesises. This model has been in place since VLC version 0.8.something. In other words, the same setting just got a more accurate name. Getting the name back to "Auto" is not going to help in any way.

There was however a bug in VLC 1.1.0 that made VLC always pick Windows-1252 as the fallback regardless of the user language. This bug was fixed in VLC 1.1.1 on Linux; I don't know what's the status on Windows. This bug was the main motivation for renaming "Auto" to "Default (xxx)". Now we clearly know what the default is from the preferences.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

ApostolPavel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ApostolPavel » 17 Aug 2010 21:39

May be it's a more accurate name, but earlier versions recognizes encoding automatically, and now I should change it manual before loading every new file.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 20 Aug 2010 17:16

Due to an unrelated bug in the user interface, the subtitle encodings are not localized, including but not limited to "Default (Windows-1252)" (you can see the other values are also in English). This will be fixed in VLC 1.1.4.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 20 Aug 2010 17:21

May be it's a more accurate name, but earlier versions recognizes encoding automatically, and now I should change it manual before loading every new file.
I reviewed every language for default character one by one before version 1.1.1 was released. If it's still not working, either the default choice is wrong for the VLC language, or gettext is buggy. There should be messages similar to this on in the VLC logs:

Code: Select all

subsdec decoder debug: trying configured character encoding: not specified subsdec decoder debug: trying default character encoding: CP1257 subsdec decoder debug: using automatic UTF-8 detection main decoder debug: using decoder module "subsdec"
In this example, VLC was in Estonian, so the encoding is CP1257. In English, it would be CP1252.

If you have configured VLC in a language not from Western Europe, and it still prints CP1252 there, you have a bug. Otherwise, it's working as expected.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”