dvd with multiple screens / angles won't time seek / jump ?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

dvd with multiple screens / angles won't time seek / jump ?

Postby cybmole » 16 Jul 2010 09:12

I have two specific DVDs for which all seek / jump controls appear disabled. if I e.g. hit my hot key for 10 secs jump the video seems to try to obey but immediately reverts to its previous position. the go-to specific timestamp command does not work either.

at first I thought it was a prohibited operations setting in DVD IFo, but when I test with powerdvd I have full control

so I now suspect it is because the DVD is using a split screen playback trick i.e. it's running two syncnhronised videos at once- you see the guitar player in top section of screen, and scrolling guitar tab in lower section of screen.
and that VLC cannot jump / seek on two feeds at once - would that make sense and is there any workaround.

NB within the dvd format there are mulitple files for each title set- if I load it into DVD fab I see many titles with suffixes (1), (2) etc.

the dvd is guiar play-along vol 16 pink floyd dark side of moon

I also have a John McLaughlin dvd set ( that's the way I do it box set ) which uses similar split screen techniques- that also will not time skip / jump in VLC. in that instance there are 3 video panels running on screen showing player left hand, player right hand, and scrolling guitar tab. I was able to rip some of this to video, ages ago, & get a single .avi with all 3 screens combined, but as I recall I had to try more than 1 DVD ripper to find one that could cope with the layout.

there must be other educational DVD material out there using similar techniques

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: dvd with multiple screens / angles won't time seek / jum

Postby VLC_help » 16 Jul 2010 17:02

Multiangle or multivideotrack files are problematic for VLC. Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before playback and it should complain something when you try to seek.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”