v 1.1.0 Fails to play audio cd .cda files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

v 1.1.0 Fails to play audio cd .cda files

Postby packzap » 08 Jul 2010 19:29

I just installed version 1.1.0 of VLC player and it crashes when loading an audio CD from Media, Open Disc, Audio CD, Play. I also tried manually playing a .cda track from the CD and nothing plays in VLC - no crash this time. Other audio file types like mp3 and wav play fine.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: v 1.1.0 Fails to play audio cd .cda files

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Jul 2010 20:56

All CDs?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby packzap » 08 Jul 2010 23:14

Upon rechecking with other audio cd's, I see that VLC media player does play the CD if I right click the cd in Windows Explorer and select from the menu "play with VLC media player". It also now plays in VLC, when I select, Media, Open Disc, Audio CD, Play. However, if I double click a single track in Windows Explorer, or select a single track in VLC by choosing, Media, Open file, and navigating over to a single track and choosing "open", nothing plays. This is in Windows XP, SP3.

RuCla
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RuCla » 15 Jul 2010 19:33

Hi I also can confirm the bug. I have a WIN 7 (64). Even if I try to start the Audio CD via Win explorer VLC crashes

Best regards
Rudi
Best regards
Rudi

Fallon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fallon » 16 Aug 2010 12:20

Another confirmation. VLC player 1.1.2 does not play .cda files at all (winxp 32bit).
Thanks for looking into this.

Luftmensch
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Luftmensch » 17 Aug 2010 17:20

I have the same problem. Using VLC 1.1.2 on Windows 7 64-bit, with all permissions. VLC is set to open cda files, but when I try to play a CD nothing happens. If I click on a track, VLC crashes. If I right-click on the CD in Explorer, and select Play CD, it opens in Windows Media Player, even though this is not the default player for cda files.

Fallon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fallon » 20 Aug 2010 20:35

Update chat. Installed VLC media player 1.1.3. The .cda files problem is still there.
On the good side...
I had just noticed 1.1.2 didn't make proper snapshots from mkv. And Maybe not at all - period.
This problem is fixed or, if you will, gone in 1.1.3. :mrgreen:

hardynicks
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hardynicks » 21 Aug 2010 00:51

Upon rechecking with other audio cd's, I see that VLC media player does play the CD if I right click the cd in Windows Explorer and select from the menu "play with VLC media player". It also now plays in VLC, when I select, Media, Open Disc, Audio CD, Play. However, if I double click a single track in Windows Explorer, or select a single track in VLC by choosing, Media, Open file, and navigating over to a single track and choosing "open", nothing plays. This is in Windows XP, SP3.
In 1.1.4 none of this is working, right clicking from explorer, or opening Audio CD in VLC, W7 HP 32bit.

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 21 Aug 2010 05:16

packzap wrote:Upon rechecking with other audio cd's, I see that VLC media player does play the CD if I right click the cd in Windows Explorer and select from the menu "play with VLC media player". It also now plays in VLC, when I select, Media, Open Disc, Audio CD, Play. However, if I double click a single track in Windows Explorer, or select a single track in VLC by choosing, Media, Open file, and navigating over to a single track and choosing "open", nothing plays. This is in Windows XP, SP3.

In 1.1.4 none of this is working, right clicking from explorer, or opening Audio CD in VLC, W7 HP 32bit.
Hi all.

I'm using build 1.1.4-git-win32.exe on vista home premium 32bit (all patched up).

What Works:
* audio CDs autoplay with VLC
* audio CDs play with "play with VLC media player"
* if you use "open disc" and select a single track using "starting position" (although chosen track is not named in Playlist I.e. it's reported as "CDDA://driveletter"). If you use "0" for "starting position", this plays whole CD.

What doesn't Work:
* double-clicking a single audio track via Explorer. Track is added to Playlist but doesn't play, even if you highlight item in Playlist and click the Play button or double-click Playlist item.
* using "open file" and selecting a single track. Track is added to Playlist but doesn't play, even if you highlight item in Playlist and click the Play button or double-click Playlist item.

Cheers,

Gazza

hardynicks
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hardynicks » 21 Aug 2010 18:09

Hi all.

I'm using build 1.1.4-git-win32.exe on vista home premium 32bit (all patched up).

What Works:
* audio CDs autoplay with VLC
* audio CDs play with "play with VLC media player"
* if you use "open disc" and select a single track using "starting position" (although chosen track is not named in Playlist I.e. it's reported as "CDDA://driveletter"). If you use "0" for "starting position", this plays whole CD.

What doesn't Work:
* double-clicking a single audio track via Explorer. Track is added to Playlist but doesn't play, even if you highlight item in Playlist and click the Play button or double-click Playlist item.
* using "open file" and selecting a single track. Track is added to Playlist but doesn't play, even if you highlight item in Playlist and click the Play button or double-click Playlist item.

Cheers,

Gazza
I was using the 19th Aug build of 1.1.4, just downloaded latest 21st Aug build (the .exe from here http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0821-0203/ ) and I am only getting one thing partly working compared to you on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit:

What Works:
* if you use "open disc" and select a single track using "starting position" (although chosen track is not named in Playlist I.e. it's reported as "CDDA://driveletter").

What doesn't Work:

* if you use "open disc" and use "0" for "starting position", a crash occurs.
* audio CDs do not autoplay with VLC, a crash occurs.
* audio CDs do not play with "play with VLC media player", a crash occurs.
* double-clicking a single audio track via Explorer, a crash occurs. Track is added to Playlist but doesn't play, even if you highlight item in Playlist and click the Play button or double-click Playlist item.
* using "open file" and selecting a single track, no crash occurs, track is added to Playlist but doesn't play, even if you highlight item in Playlist and click the Play button or double-click Playlist item.

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 21 Aug 2010 18:57

I was using the 19th Aug build of 1.1.4, just downloaded latest 21st Aug build (the .exe from here http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0821-0203/ ) and I am only getting one thing partly working compared to you on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit:

What Works:
* if you use "open disc" and select a single track using "starting position" (although chosen track is not named in Playlist I.e. it's reported as "CDDA://driveletter").

What doesn't Work:

* if you use "open disc" and use "0" for "starting position", a crash occurs.
* audio CDs do not autoplay with VLC, a crash occurs.
* audio CDs do not play with "play with VLC media player", a crash occurs.
* double-clicking a single audio track via Explorer, a crash occurs. Track is added to Playlist but doesn't play, even if you highlight item in Playlist and click the Play button or double-click Playlist item.
* using "open file" and selecting a single track, no crash occurs, track is added to Playlist but doesn't play, even if you highlight item in Playlist and click the Play button or double-click Playlist item.
Hi hardynicks

Sorry to hear of your continued problems. It's a real bummer when things don't work as anticipated/hoped for.

Please don't shoot me down for saying this (since it's fairly obvious) but it has to be asked...

You are doing a full uninstall / clean install of VLC (Incl. deleting cache / preferences & double-checking you've deleted VLC folders, just in case there could be remnants of data from previous installations - ok.... I'm clutching at straws a bit with that but just trying to start from a clean install perspective)?

Also, make sure you're not retaining old config files or other data from old versions then copying them into the new installation (I.e. to preserve a custom setup)?

Additionally, you've not got - or previously had - other media players installed (not that you'd need them with VLC :wink: )?

Finally, you've reviewed Autoplay options & checked default program settings, file associations, etc?

Cheers,

Gazza

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Aug 2010 14:50

Upload a CD audio image sample that we can burn to reproduce.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

hardynicks
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hardynicks » 23 Aug 2010 16:32

Upload a CD audio image sample that we can burn to reproduce.
It happens with every single CD so not much point, one thing that occurred to me, I have get_iplayer ( http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/ht ... layer.html ) that installed vlc 1.05 as part of its installation, could that be conflicting with 1.1.4 git somehow in the registry, maybe?

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 23 Aug 2010 17:30

j-b wrote:Upload a CD audio image sample that we can burn to reproduce.

It happens with every single CD so not much point, one thing that occurred to me, I have get_iplayer ( http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/ht ... layer.html ) that installed vlc 1.05 as part of its installation, could that be conflicting with 1.1.4 git somehow in the registry, maybe?
Hi hardynicks.

Sounds perfectly possible. I couldn't say if it's a registry issue or what... but as far as I'm concerned, the media-library file (ml.xspf), your interface.ini and a couple of other files (that could be config data) are stored in the same place (on vista it's \\systemdrive\users\yourusername\AppData\roaming\vlc), so I could easily see your installation potentially overwriting stuff (although, by default, on installation, cache and preferences are deleted).

However, one of the devs will be in a better position to confirm this. My background is more of a power-user (although I was a desktop support engineer for a while, so have a background in troubleshooting).

I'd definitely uninstall 1.1.4 fully (delete cache and preferences). I'd also fully remove get_iplayer and any additionally installed components (I.e. make sure 1.0.5 is fully removed too)... then re-install 1.1.4 and see what happens :wink: I'd like to think this will fix some of the audio CD issues you're experiencing.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Gazza

RuCla
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RuCla » 23 Aug 2010 18:33

I also got the error with 1.1.3.. I got the following error log:
[version]
OS=6.1.7600.2.
VLC=1.1.3 The Luggage

[exceptions]
c0000005 at 75b243f9

[context]
EDI:0234fb78
ESI:00000000
EBX:05658ef0
EDX:00002000
ECX:00000000
EAX:00000000
EBP:0234fa98
EIP:75b243f9
ESP:0234fa7c

[stacktrace]
#EIP|base|module
75b243f9|C:\Windows\syswow64\msvcrt.dll
6eb4cf76|D:\VLC\plugins\libcdda_plugin.dll
6eb468ad|D:\VLC\plugins\libcdda_plugin.dll
6eb4229f|D:\VLC\plugins\libcdda_plugin.dll
Best regards
Rudi

hardynicks
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hardynicks » 23 Aug 2010 20:07

I'd definitely uninstall 1.1.4 fully (delete cache and preferences). I'd also fully remove get_iplayer and any additionally installed components (I.e. make sure 1.0.5 is fully removed too)... then re-install 1.1.4 and see what happens :wink: I'd like to think this will fix some of the audio CD issues you're experiencing.
Well, it almost certainly isn't the problem as I am pretty sure I wasn't using get iplayer when I installed 1.1.0/1.1.1 and I get the same issue with audio CDs as I did now with 1.1.4 as I did then. I may test uninstall as you suggest, I'm not holding out any hope though.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Aug 2010 13:44

Can you run it through gdb?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

hardynicks
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hardynicks » 24 Aug 2010 14:16

What's gdb :-| ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Aug 2010 15:06

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 24 Aug 2010 19:16

gazzawazza wrote:I'd definitely uninstall 1.1.4 fully (delete cache and preferences). I'd also fully remove get_iplayer and any additionally installed components (I.e. make sure 1.0.5 is fully removed too)... then re-install 1.1.4 and see what happens :wink: I'd like to think this will fix some of the audio CD issues you're experiencing.

Well, it almost certainly isn't the problem as I am pretty sure I wasn't using get iplayer when I installed 1.1.0/1.1.1 and I get the same issue with audio CDs as I did now with 1.1.4 as I did then. I may test uninstall as you suggest, I'm not holding out any hope though.
Fair enough. However, I've personally had problems with VLC crashing, when I tried to use an older ml.xspf with a newer build, which was why I had concerns about 2 different versions of VLC co-existing on the same system.

I would encourage you to just try a clean, single install of VLC, if only to exclude the problem. You could perhaps do this with the debugger version?

Remember you can also make copies of your config files, so you don't lose your settings. From what I've seen, your media library & interface configs are stored here (on vista anyway: \\systemdrive\users\yourusername\AppData\roaming\vlc).

Album art is also stored in this location.

Cheers,

G

hardynicks
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hardynicks » 24 Aug 2010 20:24

OK I downloaded the 19th Aug debug version from here
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0819-0203/

I am just running it from a folder, and the Media>Open Disc>Audio CD seems to work fine, which doesn't work if I install the exe. As the debug version isn't installed I can't test whether Autoplay works though.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Aug 2010 15:52

Autoplay just passes some parameters to VLC. So if

Code: Select all

vlc.exe --started-from-file cdda://X:
(where X is the drive letter of CD drive) works, then it is OK.

hardynicks
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hardynicks » 26 Aug 2010 01:16

Autoplay just passes some parameters to VLC. So if

Code: Select all

vlc.exe --started-from-file cdda://X:
(where X is the drive letter of CD drive) works, then it is OK.
So can you explain why the debug version works but the exe does not?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 26 Aug 2010 15:09

Nope. The binaries of same build should have same functionality (difference is that debug builds have some debug data inside which can be used with debugger to get more verbose output).

MT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MT » 15 Oct 2010 01:37

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”