VLC 1.1.0 no picture!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Syenta
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.1.0 no picture!

Postby Syenta » 22 Jun 2010 21:21

Hi all,

I have just installed version 1.1.0. Sound works great but there is no picture. All the videos previously worked with the last version. Can anyone suggest what I can do to rectify this problem?

My machine is a Dell XPS, M1710 with NVidia Quadro NVS 510M video card.

Regards

Syenta

Errorfied
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 1.1.0 no picture!

Postby Errorfied » 22 Jun 2010 22:30

I'm having the same issue on a Sony Vaio, with a 8400m GT

Syenta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Syenta » 22 Jun 2010 22:44

Hi All,

I should have mentioned that I have Windows 7 Professional installed with all the latest updates. I had tried to run both DVDs and video tutorials from HeathenX's web site but with all I tried the picture failed to appear.

As said previously I have never had a problem with VideoLAN in the past and I was really looking to try out version 1.1.0. With luck this will happen soon.

Regards

Napapa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Napapa » 23 Jun 2010 01:20

Hi,
Same issue here, there is no video output when playing a video file (tried with a XVID video and a X264 encoded one, both does not work). The audio works just fine though. Didn't have these issues with the 1.0.5 version.

I'm on Windows 7 Professional, on a Toshiba Satellite with a nVidia Geforce 7300 GO.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 23 Jun 2010 02:03

Delete VLC's preferences and cache files by going to (enter into Windows Explorer address bar and press Enter):
%appdata%

And delete the "vlc" folder.

Then open VLC and try a video. If that doesn't help try changing the video output module by going to
Tools >> Preferences >> (Select "All" for "Show settings") >> Video >> Output modules

And try e.g. DirectX. Press "Save", restart VLC and try a video. If there's no change then try another output module - e.g. Direct3D then Windows GDI.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Napapa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Napapa » 23 Jun 2010 10:02

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
In my case, I managed to get the video back with the OpenGL output module, but then, it doesn't seems to beneficiate from the GPU decoding (my cpu goes up to 76%+ and the playback is a little slow on h264 720p video). The "DirectX (DirectDraw)" one works but it disables Windows 7 Aero Interface whenever I try to play a video (well, it is actually written in the Preferences tabs that it is not compatible with Windows Vista Aero), so it is a little cumbersome when I just want to watch a short video.
With the "Windows GDI" one, there is some blocks appearing on the video (mostly visible on HD video). The Direct 3D one doesn't work (no video).

Clak
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Clak » 23 Jun 2010 10:05

I found a way to make it work

leave video setting to default (Tools >> Preferences >> (Select "All" for "Show settings") >> Video >> Output modules)

just uncheck "acceleration video output (overlay)", and "use hardware YUV->RGB conversions"

save, and restart vlc, should work now.

Napapa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Napapa » 23 Jun 2010 10:14

Thanks Clak, it works now :D
I would have thought that playback would not beneficiate from GPU decoding without those options checked, but my CPU average is kept below 40% even on a 720p video, so all seems to be OK.

Regards.

nomagicsmoke
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nomagicsmoke » 23 Jun 2010 18:21

I had the same problem as Sienta, with an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M card in a Dell Latitude D620. clak's fix works for me as well, and I get silky smooth playback of 1080p content at 20% CPU. Kudos to VLC team for making the best video player even better!

Syenta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Syenta » 23 Jun 2010 20:23

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the responses. I went for Clak's suggestion in the end and it worked great! I will say I was a little confused at first (or perhaps I'm a little slow). For those who like me and find it difficult to understand simple instructions please find my even more simplified instructions below but follow Clak's instructions first to find the preference page.

Now do:

Within Preferences I selected Video -> Output modules -> DirectX -> then leave "Use hardware YUV -> RGB conversions" ticked and untick "Use triple buffering for overlays" -> Save.

Thanks again Clak you are my hero for today.

Regards

mcgon1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mcgon1979 » 29 Jun 2010 01:32

hi guys,

I basically had the same problem on Windows 7. No video.
I left all the settings the same (default) but I chose OpenGL as the output in the tools/preferences/video section. It works fine.
I left all other tick boxes and settings as they were after the install.

edit: forget that, its slow and uses too much CPU. Windows GDI works well and does not disable windows 7 aero themes

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Ludrax » 07 Jul 2010 14:44

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
In my case, I managed to get the video back with the OpenGL output module, but then, it doesn't seems to beneficiate from the GPU decoding (my cpu goes up to 76%+ and the playback is a little slow on h264 720p video). The "DirectX (DirectDraw)" one works but it disables Windows 7 Aero Interface whenever I try to play a video (well, it is actually written in the Preferences tabs that it is not compatible with Windows Vista Aero), so it is a little cumbersome when I just want to watch a short video.
With the "Windows GDI" one, there is some blocks appearing on the video (mostly visible on HD video). The Direct 3D one doesn't work (no video).
same problem!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976170
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

ishel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ishel » 09 Jul 2010 01:37

My problem with having no picture has a particular origin which maybe someone can use to help me identify the solution:

I was attempting to use 'Print Screen' to take a screenshot of a video (the screenshot I got from using Video > Snapshot within VLC was very poor quality for some reason)... I would get the screenshot, crop it and save it as a jpeg, but when I then opened the jpeg it was just black; I also noticed that if I moved the window of my picture editor by grabbing the top bar, the cropped image would remain static on the screen.

In the end I was unsuccessful in using this technique to make a screenshot, so I just gave up for the time being.

The next time I came to use VLC, it gave me only sound but no picture.

I have tried uninstalling, including the reset preferences and cache option; I have also using the opportunity to upgrade to 1.1.0 (from 1.1.0). However, at this stage nothing is working.

It seems that whatever I did, changed some setting somewhere else in my system. (BTW, other media players, specifically Media Player Classic, still work just fine).

I am running on Windows XP Pro SP3

I am wondering if any information I have provided would give any clues about what happened and how to rectify it. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

---------------------------
EDIT: I had tried some of the above solutions in 1.0.0 without any result. Finally, in 1.1.0 I tried again the following routine, which worked for me:

- Tools > Preferences

- Leave Show Settings selection at bottom left as 'Simple', and choose 'Video' on left-side menu

- Uncheck 'Accelerated video output (overlay)' (This seems to be the critical one, for my problem anyway... it seems to make no difference whether I uncheck 'Use hardware YUV>RGB conversions' or not, in my particular case)

- Save, and restart VLC to activate the new setting
----------------------------

Hopefully the above may be useful to someone else too.

A couple of followup questions, if anyone has any clues:

1) Any ideas why the attempt to save screenshots as I did would have altered that setting?

2) Why didn't reinstalling VLC, even as a different version, fix this problem - surely it installs with the right settings to start with?

3) Has this fix made VLC operate less satisfactorily in any other way - under what circumstances would a user expect to use the program with 'Accelerated video output (overlay)' checked?

(All of the above purely in the interest of broadening all of our knowledge about this fantastic piece of software! BTW, I love the new deinterlace selections in 1.1.0!!)

Rabbitok
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rabbitok » 13 Jul 2010 09:09

Delete VLC's preferences and cache files by going to (enter into Windows Explorer address bar and press Enter):
%appdata%

And delete the "vlc" folder.

Then open VLC and try a video. If that doesn't help try changing the video output module by going to
Tools >> Preferences >> (Select "All" for "Show settings") >> Video >> Output modules

And try e.g. DirectX. Press "Save", restart VLC and try a video.
This stepped worked :D
Changed out to DirectX ...

Dell XPS M1210
nVidia GeForce GO 7400

stevet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevet » 13 Jul 2010 22:29

Hi m'8

After a couple of hours of trying to play a film on VLC. this is how (it works for me)??

Goto tools ==>pref==>then click on reset pref (this will reset all your settings if you have unchecked or checked a box) you will now go back to vlc.
Now Goto tools again ==> pref ==> Select Simple(in the lower left hand corner)==>click video (on the left) ==>Uncheck (Accelerated Video Output Overlay)
==> Uncheck (Use hardware YUV->RGB conversions). now goto Output (On the same page under skip frames) In the default dropdown window (to the right) scroll down to "Directx (directDraw) Video Output" And click. Thats it all done, All you have to do is save (on the same page at the bottom).
now close VLC to set the settings.

stevet
o/s vista

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”