option to not save last file / folder opened?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

option to not save last file / folder opened?

Postby Chrisi22 » 03 Jul 2010 22:46

Hello, Question about VLC 1.1.0 privacy & not retaining info about last files / folders opened.

Read a post here about entering (or altering) the vlc-qt-interface.ini file in C:\users\<name>\appdata\Roaming\VLC,
by adding or altering the line: filedialog-path=
then putting in what you want for the path. So far, it seem to retain the path I entered even after opening files from another path (that's what I want).

Are there other files or registry entries where this info is stored?

Don't know if this is a permanent solution? Assume the path showing before I changed it was the 1st one I opened after installing latest VLC ver?

If that's true, why doesn't the path / filename change in the .ini file w/ each new file opened? I'd played many after the one that WAS showing in vlc-qt-interface.ini.

Isn't / shouldn't there be an OPTION in Preferences to have it not save or show last file/ folder opened info?

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: option to not save last file / folder opened?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jul 2010 23:35

Your issue is the list of the recent files or the open dialog getting at the last location?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chrisi22 » 04 Jul 2010 01:06

Ummm,

My issue is how to stop VLC from showing the last file(s) or folder accessed (or any accessed, for that matter), when you click:

Media>Open File, or Open Folder, or Save Playlist to File.

As a privacy issue, there should be an option somewhere to have VLC NOT show this. I believe even WMP has this option in recent versions.

You can keep VLC from automatically creating a playlist, but info about last files / folders used still shows up in several places.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Jul 2010 15:59

Those options are Windows Explorer related.

Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chrisi22 » 04 Jul 2010 18:30

Thanks.
No, they're not. I'm not talking about recent files, etc., in Explorer.

Many prgms have the option to show / NOT show - from the prgms' interface - the last file(s) / folders accessed,

Or option to not save that info in any prgm files, in appdata or not write it to registry,

Or, to automatically save files to a playlist, or not create a playlist at all. Or to delete private data on shutdown / command.
Like Firefox, Down Them All, WMP, ... there's a long list.

Those aren't explorer options. They're built into the prgms.
I asked if there was a settings option / way to keep VLC from showing that data. Anyone know the answer?
If no such option, I'll add it to wish list.

For now, modifying the VLC file: C:\users\<name>\appdata\Roaming\VLC\vlc-qt-interface.ini
and adding or modifying the line: "filedialog-path=" , then entering a file / folder name / path you want, seems to remain unchanged after opening subsequent files. An easier way should be provided for avg users, IMHO.

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby solazy » 04 Jul 2010 18:54

Chrisi22 pointed out an interesting privacy question, and Jean-Baptiste (hello j-b) showed us the 2 places where this privacy occurs :

1) "list of the recent opened files" found in Media Menu => Recent Media option
Vlc_help (hello !) just detailed correctly in another post how to disable this feature :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78917

Vlc_help wrote :
"You can disable VLC's remember feature from Tools -> Preferences (Show Settings: All) Interface -> Main interface -> Qt and Remember..."
In fact, when we uncheck the option "Remember..." (named "Save the recently played items in the menu"), then Save the Preferences, quit VLC and run it again, we then notice the "Recent Media" option has totally disappeared in the Media Menu, perfect !

2) " open dialog getting at the last location"
That's what Chrisi22 would like to be in the Preferences too, when he wrotes :
"My issue is how to stop VLC from showing the last file(s) or folder accessed (or any accessed, for that matter), when you click: Media>Open File, or Open Folder, or Save Playlist to File."

There was a time when VLC didn't remember correctly the last folder accessed (remember j-b ?) and gladly this issue has been fixed. I really enjoy the program to remember the last folder used but I understand Chrisi22's concern about privacy and I'm pretty sure the staff could add an option in Preferences to keep or forget the last folder used when closing VLC

After all, great programs like WinRar (3.71) have these kind of options in their Settings Menu :
* Options => Settings => General => Keep archives history (you check it or not)
* Options => Settings => General => Allow history in dialogs (you check it or not)
* Options => Settings => Path => Start up folder (you indicate your start up folder...or you leave it empty)
* Options => Settings => General => Restore last working folder on start up (you check it or not)

If WinRar made it, I'm 100% sure VLC staff could do it too and Chrisi22 will have his privacy :)

Concerning another interrogation of Chrisi22, when he writes :
"why doesn't the path / filename change in the .ini file w/ each new file opened? I'd played many after the one that WAS showing in vlc-qt-interface.ini"

I just tested this feature in that .ini file found here on my computer (Windows XP SP2) :
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Application Data\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini"

This file starts, for example, with the following lines :
[General]
filedialog-path=C:\\Temp

Why C:\\Temp ?
Because during the last VLC session, I opened a file from the VLC Menu "Media" => "Open File", choosed any file in the C:\Temp folder, then quit VLC and the .ini file is updated during the quit

But Chrisi22, this path=C:\\Temp will NOT be updated in the .ini file if you open files directly from Windows Explorer, no matter the folder you are in Windows Explorer (that was probably what Vlc_help had in mind in his last answer) : those files opened from Windows Explorer will launch VLC, you'll watch the movie, quit VLC and...the ini file will not be updated because you didn't use the VLC menu to open a file : you opened it directly from Windows Explorer
I guess the line filedialog-path=... will only be updated if you open files using the VLC's menus.

Arrgh... I just noticed Chrisi22 answered to Vlc_help, but I won't change my post lol
Chrisi22, when you write "opening subsequent files", do you mean opening them in VLC's Media menu or opening them through Windows Explorer ?

solazy

Postby solazy » 04 Jul 2010 19:38

Chrisi22 : here are the results of 2 tests that could help you : the tests show how VLC react to the line filedialog-path=... found in the file vlc-qt-interface.ini

In case of manual modification of the line (which isn't recommended for sure), VLC needs to be closed, open the .ini file with Notepad, modify manually the line, save the ini file, close Notepad, run VLC, Media Menu, Open File...then :

filedialog-path=C:\\Temp
* Opens in C:\temp if the "temp" folder is found
* Opens in C:\ if the "temp" folder is not found (after a voluntary rename of the Temp folder for experimentation), then a FILE named "temp" is proposed in the dialog box)

filedialog-path=C:\\Temp\\Conv
* Opens in C:\temp\conv if that explicit path is found (if folder Temp and sub-folder Conv both exists)
* Opens in C:\temp if folder Conv doesn't exist and "conv" is proposed as a FILE name in the dialog box
* Opens in "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC 1.1.0" if folder Temp doesn't exist and "conv" is proposed as a FILE name in the dialog box

Chrisi22, in my opinion , you shouldn't enter manually a FILE name in this line, because VLC by itself never keeps any file name in this line when it updates automatically the .ini file while quitting.

Of course it shoudn't freeze anything if you enter manually, for instance :
filedialog-path=C:\\Temp\\myvideo.avi
It will search for a folder named "myvideo.avi" and as it doesn't find it, "myvideo.avi" will be proposed as a file name in the dialog box, but as VLC never saves a file name in the line, it's better to do same.

Hope the staff will be able to satisfy your needs, they're great people there !

Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chrisi22 » 04 Jul 2010 20:43

Thanks lolazy, for a very helpful reply. Many "less advanced" users will benefit from some of it. Are you sure I'm a guy? Chrisi sounds pretty sissy. :D
Re:
Chrisi22, in my opinion , you shouldn't enter manually a FILE name in this line, because VLC by itself never keeps any file name in this line when it updates automatically the .ini file while quitting.
In: Tools -> Preferences (Show Settings: All) Interface -> Main interface ->, I did have "Save the recently played items in the menu" UNchecked. (To users: important to check the "Show Settings: All", as prev. mentioned).

1) when open a file from VLC MENU, Media> Open file, then close VLC, reopen it, & click on Media>Open file, it shows the last folder path & the names of all files in that folder. So, it does remember the last folder & shows all files in it - maybe not the last file PLAYED.

* Seems if have UNchecked "Save recently played items," the behavior shouldn't be showing last folder & all file names in it. There is no privacy benefit of unchecking that option.

* The last folder also shows when click Media>Save Playlist to file, when w/ "Save the recently played items in the menu" UNchecked, even though there IS NO playlist.

2) In "vlc-qt-interface.ini" it changed the path name from what I previously entered (E:\temp), to the folder PATH of last file opened. No, didn't put the file name in the .ini file, but from VLC interface, can easily see / browse those files.

3) UNchecking "Save the recently played items in the menu" may prevent displaying a LIST of files ( or possibly not create a playlist?), but does NOT prevent seeing the last folder accessed & all files in it.

That's what I'm referring to. Even Windows (Vista, ? 7 ?) has the options under
R-click Start>Properties, to check / UNcheck:
__Store & display a list of recently opened files
__Store & display a list of recently opened programs
and Windows isn't known for privacy concerns.

So, should I put in a request to change this (or option to show / not show) last folder accessed & files in it, when click Media>Open File / Open Folder / Save Playlist to File, or do these things get passed along to right people from forum posts?

solazy

Postby solazy » 04 Jul 2010 22:44

Hi again Chrisi22,
I read your last answer which explained your problem in a good way, but I'm not sure the problem is simple to resolve (with my poor knowledge)
The 4 following attached pics are here just to show that Windows takes control (as said Vlc_help) when a program (VLC or any other program) calls the Windows API that manages the "File Open/Save dialog box" .

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/1630/1vlc.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2964/2winrar.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5203/3mpc.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8874/4opera.jpg

As we can see, it's the same "Open file" Windows API in the 4 pics and it's a Windows functionnality : Vlc / Winrar / MPC / Opera didn't program it, they use it directly from Windows.
The question is : if VLC programmers had to satisfy your need, they should rewrite that API

Because you don't want the movie file names (let's say .avi files) appear in a special folder (the last one you used) while Browsing for opening a file ?
But you certainly want to see all other .avi in all other opened folders, except in the folder you used during the last session. Where is the program that does this kind of thing : hiding files (and probably folders) while Browsing in a standard "Open File" window ?

I agree with you that, as you wrote, "Many prgms have the option to show / NOT show - from the prgms' interface - the last file(s) / folders accessed" : that's what we discussed concerning the "Recent Media" option that disappears when you uncheck "Save the recently played items in the menu"

"Or option to not save that info in any prgm files, in appdata or not write it to registry" : this could probably be done in VLC

"Or, to automatically save files to a playlist, or not create a playlist at all. Or to delete private data on shutdown / command. Like Firefox, Down Them All, WMP, ... there's a long list" : I agree with that, even my Opera Browser deletes private data, when asked, or automatically.

"Those aren't explorer options. They're built into the prgms" : yes, but the "File Open/Save dialog box" is a 100% Windows API : if VLC programmers decides not to use this API, they'll have a lot of work to rewrite it to mask some file names (and last used folder, why not ?)

Now what they could easily do for you and many others, it's to add a preference for remembering (or not) the last PATH used during the last session :
* if checked : yes remember and open files in the last path used (I like that !)
* if unchecked : forget all paths and always open files in (for instance) VLC installation folder (you like that)
j-b, I hope you'll read this request :)

If that request is accepted by VLC programmers (I really hope they'll add this preference) then your problem should be partially solved because noone will ever know in what folder you were during your last VLC session.
But if you're not satisfied with this request (which will always, for you, Open files in the VLC installation folder), then you should try to hide a folder (and its subfolders) on your computer : there are external programs that do the job really well.

Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chrisi22 » 04 Jul 2010 23:55

Thanks solazy,
"Those aren't explorer options. They're built into the prgms" : yes, but the "File Open/Save dialog box" is a 100% Windows API : if VLC programmers decides not to use this API, they'll have a lot of work to rewrite it to mask some file names (and last used folder, why not ?)
I don't know about using / not using the Widows API, but many prgms, esp. if concerned about privacy, do NOT show ANYTHING when you click on "open file." Some (TrueCrypt, for ex.), you can't find a single freakin' bit of info from prior sessions.

Maybe they don't use the API - but developers must think it's worth it. VLC isn't a 1 or 2 man operation - seems they could follow the lead of other developers.
Other prgms have some option to save / not save info or SHOW anything from prior sessions - or they're just programmed diff.

solazy

Postby solazy » 05 Jul 2010 00:40

Hi Chrisi22
I agree with you, but the TrueCrypt program you mentioned is created for that special "encrypting/hiding" purpose.
"TrueCrypt is free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux. In case an attacker forces you to reveal the password, ..."

These crypting programs will do the job of course, it's their main concept : they launch themselves when Windows start and they take control over Windows to encrypt and/or hide some special sensitive folders & subfolders

But I'm not sure you'll find this "hiding folder/files" feature in other programs while you want to open/save a file : the only "privacy" I notice in many programs is what you well mentioned in your detailed examples : deleting registry entries when quitting, deleting last opened files from a menu list (VLC does it), forget the last used path (i hope VLC will program this last option)

It was an interesting question you mentioned, and I'm sure you'll be satisfied if VLC programmers add this option to remember (or not) the last folder path used... You won't have any more problem if the "Open/Save" dialog opens each time at the same location, for instance : "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC 1.1.0"

But please, VLC programmers, don't go back and force all users to open files in the same folder !
Just add a preference and give us a choice to remember (or not) the last folder path to be used during the next session, when we will Open/Save files

Have a great week !

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Jul 2010 00:57

Nope.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Jul 2010 00:59

I can fix this issue. I totally know where it comes from... I do not have the time now, but file a bug, and I might.

If I have some incentives, it might get faster though....
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chrisi22 » 05 Jul 2010 01:06

Well, solazy - don't quite know what to make of j-b's comments. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but his comments seem to invalidate some of previous stmts (not dissing anyone). BTW, TrueCrypt isn't only prgm - just example.

What do you think he means by, "If I have some incentives, it might go faster..."? Surely, he couldn't...(stop calling me Shirley)... he wouldn't... nah!

solazy

Postby solazy » 05 Jul 2010 03:01

j-b ? He's always funny and likes to joke, I can assure you he's a very cool person.
Some people in this forum (not you !) don't realize how much time it requires to j-b (and other programmers) in this never ending Vlc process : a day has only 24 hours, that's the reason why he can't verbose when he answers daily to many posts (he just answered 13 posts), because if he answers in details to each post, added to his regular job and the vlc programming, compiling and so on, he won't have 1 minute left to do any other thing !

Concerning Vlc_help's answer : "Those options are Windows Explorer related"
I'll give you exactly the way I thought before i wrote my 1st answer :

1) I first thought "Vlc_help is right" (Windows related) because I assumed Vlc_help was thinking about the Windows "Open file" dialog, which normally shows all files and folders as discussed before.

2) Then I thought "Vlc_help is wrong" (not Windows related) in case the problem could be simply solved by adding a VLC preference, avoiding the "Open file" dialog to start in the last used folder.

3) Now j-b writes : "I can fix this issue. I totally know where it comes from"
We'll have to see what is exactly the "issue" he's talking about : hide files/folders under VLC or (simplier) forget all paths and always Open/Save in a specific folder ?

The funniest thing is...that's me who alerted j-b in a precedent VLC version, warning him that VLC didn't remember the path between sessions (and I didn't like that lol, I really wanted VLC to remind the last path used)

Maybe that's why j-b says now : "I totally know where it comes from" because he fixed that issue a 1st time ?
Anyway, if he has another way to satisfy your special need (hiding last folder / files), that would be really great for you, let's wait for a future VLC release and discover the changes :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Jul 2010 08:03

Thx.
In fact, yes, every time you have an open folder, I save the location, so it opens the same folder next time, because people complained it didn't do that.

Now it does, and people complain...
Let me add something. Your posts are TOO long for anyone to understand... Summary, anyone?

"I would like that the open dialogs do not remember the last location." <= Is that too hard to formulate?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Jul 2010 16:51

I misunderstood the request, I understood the poster meant
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8964 ... places.jpg

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Jul 2010 11:54

I misunderstood the request, I understood the poster meant
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8964 ... places.jpg
Yes, the post wasn't very clear.
Make concise posts and clear.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

don544
New Cone
New Cone

Postby don544 » 04 May 2014 23:25

I know that this is an old thread but this is a Windows issue.
To turn off the display of recent documents (for all programs, not just for VLC):

- Right click on the Start button and click on Properties.

- Click the Start Menu tab of the properties dialog.

- Uncheck the "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" box.

Dane Cole
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dane Cole » 01 May 2020 09:30

Uninstalling VLC media as an attempt to clear 'file name' dropdown menu history is pointless, as it remembers - indicating it is a Windows issue. Resolve is as follows: a) select START > Settings > Personalization > Start > switch 'OFF' for 'show recently opened items in jump lists...'

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”