VLC 1.10 hangs on shutdown

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
amuk
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.10 hangs on shutdown

Postby amuk » 26 Jun 2010 15:34

When finished using VLC (Win32), it stays in the tray and will not be shut down even right clicking and using exit. It's necessary to use task manager to shut it down everytime. This was NOT the case with 1.05. I'm running Windows 7 64bit.
It also seems to hang while playing and will not shut down though this problem is more occasional. Seems to be not so stable.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 1.10 hangs on shutdown

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Jun 2010 18:59

Does it happen if you use Ctrl+Q?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby solazy » 27 Jun 2010 12:50

Hello Jean-Baptiste,
Amuk will certainly answer your question, but having nearly the same problem of VLC 1.1.0 staying in memory after shutdown, I confirm you that using Ctrl-Q really solves the problem : vlc.exe disappears immediatly from the Task Manager list when I quit vlc using Ctrl+Q

Thx to Wraythex for suggesting the Ctrl+Q workaround in this topic :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78337

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jun 2010 20:46

I am waiting for a confirmation, then.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

mikebald
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mikebald » 30 Jun 2010 01:25

I'm having a very similar problem, the Ctrl-Q workaround doesn't seem to work. With my problem, it causes my whole system to hang after a shutdown and it hangs until the tray icon disappears.

Edit: Followed steps here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78587, changed to Windows GDI video output and it's working fine now.
Edit #2: Would be nice to be able to close VLC normally [using the X] without having to hit Ctrl-Q everytime. If I don't use the Ctrl-Q method, the VLC.exe process stays open.
Edit #3: Tried downgrading back to 1.0.5 [where these problems weren't occurring earlier] and the problems are persisting there too. Also, opening up High-Def youtube videos causes my computer to hang for 5-10 seconds. Should I open a new post?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Jul 2010 18:15

I'm having a very similar problem, the Ctrl-Q workaround doesn't seem to work. With my problem, it causes my whole system to hang after a shutdown and it hangs until the tray icon disappears.

Edit: Followed steps here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78587, changed to Windows GDI video output and it's working fine now.
Edit #2: Would be nice to be able to close VLC normally [using the X] without having to hit Ctrl-Q everytime. If I don't use the Ctrl-Q method, the VLC.exe process stays open.
Edit #3: Tried downgrading back to 1.0.5 [where these problems weren't occurring earlier] and the problems are persisting there too. Also, opening up High-Def youtube videos causes my computer to hang for 5-10 seconds. Should I open a new post?
OS ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

johnmeyer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby johnmeyer » 05 Jul 2010 17:50

If I don't use the Ctrl-Q method, the VLC.exe process stays open.
I have this same problem with version 1.1.0. If I close using any other method (besides Ctrl-Q or Alt-F4), VLC stays in memory. If I open again without flusing vlc.exe from the process list in Task Manager, I get another copy of VLC.EXE in memory. This is a bug that did not exist in the previous versions of VLC (the last version I had installed was 1.0.5).

Just to be clear, if I close VLC by double-clicking on the close button (the upper left corner of the window, i.e., double-clicking on the VLC icon on the upper left corner of the window), then VLC appears to close normally, but inspection of the processes in the task manager reveals that VLC is still running. The same thing happens if I close by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner of the windows.

If I then double-click a video file in Windows Explorer, or if I try to run VLC by opening it in the Programs list on the Start button, nothing happens, and I end up with a duplicate VLC running in memory. Only if I then force these processes to be closed (via "End Task" in the Task Manager) can I run VLC.

While a minor bug, this does diminish the usability of the program.

JonnyDeath
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JonnyDeath » 06 Jul 2010 00:01

I'm running XP, never had this problem before but it does the same for me. Video ends, VLC locks up and I have to right click, close then end task the dog. Love this program, almost never use anything else. Unfortunately this update is glitchy for many of us so I'm switching back to the previous version unless or until we get a fix.
But, if we don't tell, how will they know?

Love the program just the same guys, thanks for the time you put into it!

timetec
New Cone
New Cone

Postby timetec » 03 Aug 2010 19:47

Fix - after installing the latest version (1.1.2 The Luggage)

Run the program - from the TOOLS menu, select PREFERENCES

On the 'Interface Settings' page (default) , uncheck 'Show Systay Icon' and 'Systray Popup when minimised'

Press the SAVE button at the bottom of the screen - shutdown VLC completely and then resart - all should be well ;)

squadjot
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby squadjot » 03 Aug 2010 20:15

I downed 1.1.2, and this still doesent work..

I guess thats not the "luggage" version..

i hope this gets fixed soon =/

ineuw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.04
Operating System: Windows 10, LM 19

Postby ineuw » 03 Aug 2010 20:29

I am having the identical problem of hanging after close and must use the task manager to shut it down. This happens when I used version 1.0.5 and then with 1.1.2. - Windows XP SP3 32bit
64bit VLC in Win 10 Pro, and Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.0.

timeless
New Cone
New Cone

Postby timeless » 12 Aug 2010 09:02

I just installed VLC 1.1.2, running on Windows XP SP3 32bit, and I'm also having the problem of vlc.exe continuing to run after I close the program by clicking the "X". If I use Ctrl-Q to exit, all is well.

(BTW, I tried unchecking "Show systray icon" and "Systray popup when minimized" but it didn't solve the problem.)

I downloaded the 1.1.2 "The Luggage" version, Help|About says compiled Jul 30,2010 14:49:49.

Clearly, this is a bug that needs to be addressed! Thanks!

shred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shred » 25 Aug 2010 12:12

I'm also using version 1.1.2 "The Luggage" version on WinXP Home Edition 32bit w/ SP3 and getting the same hanging problem.

I also have the problems of having the program lock up under too much frame by frame use and the mouse pointer disappearing from the screen when I move it across any video playing in either windowed or full screen mode.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”