How to use Hauppauge Remote Control with VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DrHow
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to use Hauppauge Remote Control with VLC

Postby DrHow » 09 Jun 2010 00:03

I have a remote that came with my Hauppauge HVR-1250. (The sensor for the remote interfaces via the PCI-express board for the tuner.) It works quite nicely with MCE. For videos I download, I prefer viewing with VLC. However, I am currently controlling VLC with a wireless keyboard, which is a bit cumbersome compared to the remote. It seems to me that it should be possible to configure things so that VLC can use the Hauppauge remote also, but I have failed to figure out how. Is there a way?

If no, I also have (from many years back) an ATI remote that came with an All in Wonder video card. It interfaces via USB. If that can be used, I'd appreciate a pointer for that.

Running under 64-bit Windows 7.

Thanks for any help.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: How to use Hauppauge Remote Control with VLC

Postby VLC_help » 09 Jun 2010 16:51

VLC doesn't have remote controllers support. Only way is to bind remote keys/buttons to normal keyboard keys.

DrHow
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DrHow » 10 Jun 2010 05:30

On the hotkey configuration page, there is another column labeled "Global". I had assumed that that was for handling global events, and I was hoping that the way that the remotes work is by causing global events. Indeed, it would not surprise me with the the ATI remote that the events it causes are in fact keyboard events. So I need a little more to convince me that neither of these remotes is supportable.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Jun 2010 17:33

Global hotkeys are ones that work even VLC doesn't have focus. Normal hotkeys only work when VLC has focus.

Nodnarbius
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nodnarbius » 25 Jun 2010 11:59

I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me.

http://www.arenddeboer.com/mce-remote-with-vlc/

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”