VLC can not handle high definition movies?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
warakawa
New Cone
New Cone

VLC can not handle high definition movies?

Postby warakawa » 28 May 2010 09:13

I usually download low definition and 720p movies ranging from 700mb to 2gb, and play them with VLC player with no problem at all. But this time I've decided to download a 1080p movie that 4gb in size, and VLC could not handle it. When played with VLC, the movie stops and skips, impossible to enjoy. Then I played with windows media player, which plays it just fine. I still prefer using VLC, is there a way to fix this?

rpfaas
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC can not handle high definition movies?

Postby rpfaas » 28 May 2010 10:36

most likely windows media player uses hardware accelleration through your graphics card, but it's possible it's not enabled in vlc. check your video settings and make sure "accellerated video output (overlay)" and "use hardware YUV-RGB conversions" are enabled. if that does not work you can try setting the "output" field (the drop down thingy right below the settings i just mentioned) to OpenGL or DirectX 3D instead of the default setting.

this forces vlc to pass the data directly to your graphics card which unloads your processor. a 720p movie might not be a problem yet, but a 1080p movie has over three times the pixels to render, and you'll need a REALLY fast processor to be able to render that through software...

good luck
Richard

warakawa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby warakawa » 28 May 2010 12:28

thanks, I tried all your methods mentioned still no good.

maybe my processor is not powerful enough for 1080p movies? its core 2 duo L9600 @ 2.13GHz,

rpfaas
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rpfaas » 28 May 2010 17:36

that's just it, it propably isn't, so you need to use hardware accelleration through your graphics card... my amd phenom II x 4 905e (quad core @ 2.5Ghz) doesn't cut it either.

maybe someone else can help you further but i'm out of options.

Richard

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 May 2010 19:12

Current stable VLC builds don't support multicore decoding nor GPU decoding. VLC 1.1.0 will support GPU decoding with NVIDIA display adapters in case you watch H.264 videos.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”