cannot run program from start bar - closes immediately

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

cannot run program from start bar - closes immediately

Postby cybmole » 11 May 2010 20:47

vlc 1.05 vista home premium. program works fine if I double click a media file, but I cannot just launch VLC.

when I launch it from start bar it appears for like 1 second then vanishes. no error message. start bar short cut is just vlc.exe no strange command line parameters.

have started & paused a media file & checked VLC preferences that way, but what shouod I be looking for ?
NB quit after playback is not ticked.

it must be something that I have done in preferences, because I can "fix" it by backing up VLCRC then reset preferences.
& f i then restore the backed up vlcrc the problem returns.

but I'd rather fix it properly, as doing the above will wipe out many valid custom preferences. SO idealy I want to go in & change whatever setting is causing this behaviour.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: cannot run program from start bar - closes immediately

Postby VLC_help » 12 May 2010 17:47

If you modify the the start bar shortcut, it still crashes?

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 12 May 2010 18:51

If you modify the the start bar shortcut, it still crashes?
hmmm - modify it to what exactly ?

start bar short cut is just the path to VLC.exe . can't really be anything else , can it ?

I found a vlcrc backup from a few weeks back & switched to that. I have saved the "problem" vlcrc i case I want to go back & do further testing.

beacuse vlcrc is a combined preferences & cahce file ? maybe it;'s the cache bit that was messed up ? - I could not find anything untowrd in preferences and have been watching video files daily by double clicking file name, no problem. I figure maybe I had set VLC to close at end of playback somehow so when it is launched with nothing to playback it closes immediately - is that plauasible.

I'd also been trying to debug a situation where I'd watch a movie, click stop or close VLC & my PC goes immediatly to sleep mode. It's set to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity so it should not auto sleep the minute a video ends.

this was an intermittend issue but maybe the two problems are related ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 13 May 2010 17:35

vlcrc just stores preferences. Cache is stored to %appdata%\vlc

Sleep mode might happen since the current disable method isn't best possible solution.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 13 May 2010 17:50

vlcrc just stores preferences. Cache is stored to %appdata%\vlc

Sleep mode might happen since the current disable method isn't best possible solution.
thanks- so when problems occur it is possible to clear cache but preserve preferences by deleting only %appdata%\vlc and preserving vlcrc ?
pity they don't appear as 2 separate options on preferences & shortcuts

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 14 May 2010 17:45

You might also want to keep vlc-qt-interface.ini and ml.xspf

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 14 May 2010 18:32

thanks for help to date - I reckon I'll go with my restored vlcrc from a few weeks back, as that's reasonably up to date, & take regular copies of that if I mess with program settings in future.

i doubt the mystery of why program suddenly took to immediately closing can be debugged easily - doesn't seem like a common / known issue

but with vlcrc replaced by my earlierbackup version, the start bar shortcut works fine.

actually, FWIW, i note that I'm runnign 1.03 on that PC, not 1.05 as I previously stated. ( i trust that VLC program reports its version number accuratly and that the version number is not actually stored in vlcrc ??? )
I think I'll leave it like that, as it seems very stable now, until an update comes out with new stuff that I'd actually need.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”