remember last open path

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
CyberMew
New Cone
New Cone

remember last open path

Postby CyberMew » 28 Mar 2010 14:55

hi, how can i get it to set a default directory, so that whenever i try to open a folder, the folder/drive is already selected?

some time back i did this somehow and it was always selected at J:\Videos\, when previously it would default all the way to C:\Windows\System32\ which was annoying since the window was so small and i had to scroll all the way down.

for some reason when i tried opening vlc all the settings got resetted (i know that because it prompted me about privacy settings)

i would appreciate if someone told me how again since i tried searching to no avail. using latest 1.05 windows.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: remember last open path

Postby VLC_help » 28 Mar 2010 17:46

%appdata%\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini and line filedialog-path=

CyberMew
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CyberMew » 01 Apr 2010 12:38

thank you, that is very helpful. however since i am downloading the portable version, is it possible to shift all my configuration over to the same folder that vlc is currently in?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Apr 2010 16:32

Videolan doesn't maintain the portable version. So I cannot help you with questions related to portable version.

videohuck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby videohuck » 18 Aug 2010 18:14

%appdata%\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini and line filedialog-path=
This sure looks like a correct solution, but the .ini file you reference does not exist. There is no file "vlc-qt-interface.ini" anywhere on my hard disk.

There is a configuration file in the subdirectory you specify called "vlrc" (no extension), but no parameters in that file look relevant. Perhaps the configuration files have been recently updated since you posted? I tried creating a new vlc-qt-interface.ini file, both starting from an empty file and from renaming "vlrc" - no worky. In frustration, I finally went on a short wild goose chase browsing the registry - no clues.

All I want to do is specify the directory where video files are opened from. Remembering or setting a default browsing directing is a standard feature on most (all?) programs.

thanks

videohuck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby videohuck » 19 Aug 2010 03:19

well, having to rebrowse through a directory tree is an inconvienence, but I guess it is a small annoyance that I can live with.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 19 Aug 2010 17:10

It hasn't changed. %appdata%\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini is still used to store QT4 interface settings (if you don't use QT4 interface, then the file isn't created).

mago66
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mago66 » 16 Jun 2011 21:20

Great - these posts did help me change the default path towards my homeserver/Music-DVD-folder!

VLC 1.1.10, Win 7/64

Thanks!!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”