Screen Tearing isue during fast scenes in a movie

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Zantas
New Cone
New Cone

Screen Tearing isue during fast scenes in a movie

Postby Zantas » 05 Feb 2010 12:47

I actually visited this forum to find a solution to my problem and came across this post :viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43748&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a.Actually It didn't help at all so I thought I stopped being lazy and try to solve it by my self ,so I started to search through the settings and here is how I manage to completely eliminate the problem of Screen Tearing:
Enable Post Proscecing .Put it to 1 and you should be fine.
*EDIT*
It didn't eliminate it, it's barely noticible though
(Media Player Classic Home Cinema plays the same videos Perfectly)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Screen Tearing isue during fast scenes in a movie

Postby VLC_help » 06 Feb 2010 14:19

You tried to set fullscreen controller opacity to 1?

butanebob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby butanebob » 07 Feb 2010 16:48

I've had tearing problems ever since 1.0.3 was released. Try 1.0.2 - it works fine for me.

andy_blah
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby andy_blah » 07 Feb 2010 17:29

Instead of rolling back to 1.0.2, I would suggest you to make sure you have your output video more set to DirectX, and to grab yourself a VLC 1.0.2 pack, you just need a single file from it, namely "libvout_directx_plugin.dll" in the plugins folder. Replace this file with the one you have in VLC 1.0.3's plugin folder. This now should play the video smoothly and with less CPU usage especially if you're on an integrated video card, like it happened to me. Apparently VLC's new DirectX lib has some problems, so rolling back only one file would do best in this case. Hope it helps, but if not, you could try to show us a log for when you play a video so we could take a look at your problem

frypan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frypan » 08 Feb 2010 17:53

There's an easy solution for video tearing during tracking and moving shots. I just discovered tonight, and thought I'd join forum to share. Developers might be interested in this find.

For me, the tearing happened only when playing 1920 x 1080 HD videos - didn't matter what sort of videos either - DivX, .mov, Xvids, they all teared. Googling around I found a few people with same problem, but no solutions. The solution is simple though.

Just untick "Resize interface to video size" on the Interface Settings in preferences, restart VLC and you're done. -- (clicking save is not enough, you need to restart VLC before the change kicks in)

No need to mess with other preferences at all. For me, everything else is left as default. This is the only change I made to stop the horizontal tearing in videos when the camera is tracking during a scene. Works 100%, and probably indicates a bug with that particular setting.

Unticking this option also stops the flickering of the controller in full screen. So it's two problems solved by unticking one little box!

VLC is now perfect for me, no probs at all and I'll be glad to make a small donation. I have VLC on my JB'd iPhone too, and lovin it.

SergeSF
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SergeSF » 10 Feb 2010 11:08

frypan - Many, many thanks for your solution for this long-term problem!!!

How did you find it?

I have this problem on XP only, no such thing in Win7 (apart wrong display frequncy for LCD-TV Full-HD output in NVidida drivers, still in latest version). Probably in win7 resizing is done in hardware...

Thank you for solution!!!

Manu ROSSI
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Manu ROSSI » 10 Feb 2010 22:19

+1 :D

andy_bla : your solution is probably the good one but Frypan's one is so simple and effective that I am satisfied with it.

Thanks

SergeSF
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SergeSF » 22 Feb 2010 16:38

Well, the solution with tearing 1080p by turning interface scaling off does not work either.

Only replacement of directX library with old (1.0.2) one DOES work.

VideoLAN, please, FIX IT!!!!

truthy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby truthy » 23 Feb 2010 01:37

Same problem since v1.03 - tried 1.05 now but I found out how it occured. (in my case)
I have 2 displays in Dualview - a tft (1680x1050) and a LCD (1360x768). If I play any movie with a higher res, like eg 720p/1080p, meaning that the movie window + menubars etc is bigger than the current display res (or in between the 2 displays) - tearing/flickering occurs. for example if I play a 720p movie on my tft there's no tearing - when I move the playing movie to my lcd tearing/flickering occurs - but if I zoom out/make it half the original size/res before moving it to my lcd - it works perfectly and there's no tearing/flickering.
Just untick "Resize interface to video size" on the Interface Settings in preferences, restart VLC and you're done. -- (clicking save is not enough, you need to restart VLC before the change kicks in).
your solution worked for me - but I'm not very fond of it. I would like the see the original size/res of a movie - it also renders the Zoom option useless ...
... make sure you have your output video more set to DirectX, and to grab yourself a VLC 1.0.2 pack, you just need a single file from it, namely "libvout_directx_plugin.dll" in the plugins folder. Replace this file with the one you have in VLC's plugin folder.
worked perfectly like it should (in v1.05 now); this is the best solution until they fix the dxlibs.

thx for the great help :wink: gonna use the most recent version with the old libs now

eomanis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eomanis » 03 Mar 2010 01:58

After being stuck on 1.0.2 where one can't shift playlist entries around for a quite long time now, frypan's instruction did the trick. Thanks a lot!
I don't need it right now, but maybe i'll give the way andy_blah solved that issue a closer look.
Full HD content with overlay support, here I come! :D

grocal
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Screen Tearing issue during fast scenes in a movie

Postby grocal » 04 Mar 2010 02:02

I knew that this tearing reminds me of something. You don't have to do anything in VLC options. You just have to force V-sync in your graphic card's drivers options. That worked for me on my nVidia GF 8800 GTS 320MB with 196.21 drivers under WinXP with VLC 1.0.5.

truthy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby truthy » 05 Mar 2010 19:57

nope tried forcing vsync via nvidia cp and nHancer since v1.03 - didn't work - besides you don't have to force vsync for any other video player sw (wmp, mpc hc, powerdvd ...) so why should you have to for vlc - they should fix the directx libraries and the problem would be solved. the only working solutions are the ones posted above.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Mar 2010 16:14

The issue is that there isn't any changes done to VLC's DirectX outputs between those versions. The common issue was full screen controller opacity which causes tearing when it is on.

Manu ROSSI
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Manu ROSSI » 12 Mar 2010 23:26

...the only working solutions are the ones posted above.
Simply "reset VLC Media player preferences and cache" from the "quick settings" menu with 1.0.5 installed did it too (XP SP3).
No more tearing with all standard settings of VLC (except "skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding" that I always set to "all" but this has nothing to see with the tearing issue I once noticed from 1.0.3 update).
Wish the same for you.

ohbaby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ohbaby » 15 Mar 2010 00:24

I just wanted to thank andy_blah for his solution to vlc's tearing.

I came to this board to see if vlc's latest version 1.0.5 would solve this problem. I'm glad I stumbled on to this thread.

As it seems,...the tearing has been a problem since 1.0.3 came out. Never had this problem prior to that. Thought I might have fried my GPU, as I recently found out it was overheating. Funny thing about that was,.. no heat was being exausted by the fans. My GPU is onboard (intergrated) with a small heat sink,.. so i guess not much heat could be produced, not like a video card. A small fan solved that problem.

Anyway, just wanted to give a big shout out to Andy, Thanks for your kindness. There were a few solutions proposed here, yet this was the ONLY one that worked for me. If you have an onboard GPU, I recommend Andy's trick of,.. directx output and the 1.0.2 .dll (libvout_directx_plugin.dll).

If I may ask, how did you come up with this? I tried everything before coming here!

Also foregoing direct3d output, forces me to adjust the picture quite a bit. (color settings and such)

gweilo8888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gweilo8888 » 25 Mar 2010 06:48

Just untick "Resize interface to video size" on the Interface Settings in preferences, restart VLC and you're done. -- (clicking save is not enough, you need to restart VLC before the change kicks in)
Thanks a million - just got fed up of the vsync-like shearing and came to dig through the forums for an answer. Yours fixed it for me on the first try, watching the same piece of video that exhibited shearing without the fix. :)

Calle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Calle » 31 Mar 2010 20:57

Hi all,
Ive used all the tips i got in this thread ( even the test file vlc-0.9.0-test3-tearing-D3D.zip, of vlc i use now), it has modified the big tearing i got, but this time i surrender. As tearing had completely disapeared it came back as a new kind : an upper line tear all along the display in a big quaking scene ( lift off shuttle in Armageddon film.) I believed i was totally rid of this thing, i was wrong. And now it is there each movie i see, even with the movie the changing of the dx lib had kicked it ! How could it be possible ? It has totally disapeared and he reappeared for one movie and then for all oc without changing anything in the video settings ?
Computer XPsp3/i3/Ati4770/2GB RAM.

gweilo8888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gweilo8888 » 11 Apr 2010 03:37

Just remembered to come back and update this myself, too. I spoke too soon on my previous post - Frypan's fix has definitely made things much, MUCH better, but there are still some videos I'm seeing very bad shearing / v-sync issues in, mostly those with fast panning motion of bold, contrasty backgrounds.

Artanis667
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Artanis667 » 01 Oct 2012 04:54

I signed up to post this bit of information here. I had the same problem but this fixed it

Preferences > Video
There will be a drop box selection area for "Output". I can't remember the default but I changed it to "OpenGL Video output" and no tearing!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”