Region Issues

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Tranas
New Cone
New Cone

Region Issues

Postby Tranas » 19 Mar 2010 12:30

Have an IBM T-30 laptop running Win2K. Machine was purchased in the US. Those DVD's play without issues - the machine has InterVideo's WinDVD installed by IBM + a new install of VideoLAN. Eastern European DVD's fail to be recognized by that drive - and have been BSOD'd.

A desktop XP machine at the same location has a Lite-On DVD drive - same version of VideoLAN - plays both (region's DVD's) using VLC media player (with those same discs) without issues.

Am I missing something in the way of configuration?

TIA

T.Sarastro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows / Linux

Re: Region Issues

Postby T.Sarastro » 19 Mar 2010 13:58

What model of Lite-On DVD drive ? Is it delivered region free? Or has it been modified to become region free. ?
I am not an expert in this field but have got the imprsession that DVD-units can have have hard-codes region locks and /or software locks. Even if a player has been made region free, still problems may occur if thw involved softwares is region sensitive . The VLC Player region is region insensitive. DVD-Players are cheap now, you could consider to install an additional Plater for the other region.
Regions etc are listed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
My computers 'Arne2': Model/Manufacturer: FUJITSU D1420, CPU/RAM x86 1995 MHz / 2000 MB (PC2100) / Drive0 100 GB + Drive1 250 GB) BIOS: FUJITSU SIEMENS/Phoenix 4.06 Rev. 1.05.1420, 2002-10-16 HAL Version: "HAL Version: "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
XP 5.1 SP 3, AVG 9, VLC 1.0.5 , Windows Media Player 11

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 19 Mar 2010 16:34

Eastern European DVD's fail to be recognized by that drive
I would try to seek firmware update for that drive.

Tranas
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tranas » 20 Mar 2010 04:53

The laptop drive is a TEAC DW-28E. In general, I am aware of the hardware constraints/lockouts for regions. This drive was allowed 10 "Views" and then the region was locked out. I have used "DVD Region+CSS Free" with limited success - some disks play normally, others not - some are not recognized. Region 1 DVD's continue to play normally.

The desktop machine does not "see" the title of a Region 1 DVD - presumably because the drive is region 2 - but when you select the drive letter and ask VLC to play it [since you know there is a disk in the drive] - no problem. The DVD is seen as single track - no separate leadin/trailers/warning. You can just push the slider to where you want to be. Pretty trick. + the desktop plays the region 2 disks with no issues, and it sees the name of the disk.

The laptop drive has never been reset, and I understand that this can be done 3 times before it permanently locks out. I presume VideoLan cannot play the DVD's now because that region is locked out by the hardware. If I were to have the drive reset - will VLC play the DVD without triggering another lockout countdown? I presume so, and I would expect the region 2 DVD's to act in an analogous fashion to the desktop drive.

I have looked for firmware updates that deal with the region issue, but none are available for this particular drive - AFAIK.

Appreciate the assistance.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Mar 2010 16:46

Region doesn't matter to seeing of the disc content. The content can be seen always, it is just playback of those movies that might have issues.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”