DX wallpaper mode questions

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
solarstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

DX wallpaper mode questions

Postby solarstone » 17 Mar 2010 21:34

hello, i have few questions regarding directx wallpaper mode

1. i am using WinXP SP3 with Radeon 2600 HD, but had same results with GeForce 6600 GT,
the DX wallpaper mode simply doesn't work always, like i have to run and exit the video clip about 5 to 10
times before VLC actualy makes it work (no matter of in what codec it was encoded), so i usualy get blank/solid
color as background untill i finaly get lucky to get it working

2. i asked before if VLC dev team think of making same but for rendering in Open GL mode, i got
answer that VLC will only someday include Direct3D mode, so my question is - will that "clash" with recording programs,
i ask this because whenever (now) i try to record "live wallpaper" (which is VLC's DX wallpaper), programs (Hypercam, Superscreen recorder, fraps), always only record blank background

(using version 1.0.3)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: DX wallpaper mode questions

Postby VLC_help » 18 Mar 2010 17:59

i got answer that VLC will only someday include Direct3D mode
Where you got that answer? The OpenGL isn't viable solution for wallpaper mode because there isn't any API to lock it to Windows background. Both DirectX and Direct3D support that and next VLC release (1.1.0) has wallpaper support for Direct3D also.
always only record blank background
You cannot record Overlay video. The data isn't sent to Windows frame buffer, but it is sent directly to display adapter.

solarstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby solarstone » 19 Mar 2010 15:07

too bad :P

thanks for answering me :)

robifer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby robifer » 08 Jul 2016 08:36

I have my live wallpaper working great. The only problem I seem to find is that the icons on my desktop are now hidden behind the video. anyway to fix this?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Jul 2016 20:00

I have my live wallpaper working great. The only problem I seem to find is that the icons on my desktop are now hidden behind the video. anyway to fix this?
Nope, sorry.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”