HOW TO SAVE CROPPED VID?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
greathobby
New Cone
New Cone

HOW TO SAVE CROPPED VID?

Postby greathobby » 11 Dec 2009 07:44

I have a vid I want to crop. Have figured out how to do it, looks super - but how do I save the blasted changes so that I don't have to crop the vid all the time? Ideally I want to save the cropped version then burn it to DVD. I am sorry, but I just can't seem to save it. Any help would be appreciated and help save what sanity I have left!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: HOW TO SAVE CROPPED VID?

Postby VLC_help » 11 Dec 2009 16:10

It is easier to use video editor like AVIdemux to get what you want. If you still want to use VLC, you have to enable the crop filter either in transcode line or in options.

greathobby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby greathobby » 11 Dec 2009 17:11

Thanks for the info, I don't mean to be thick, but can you walk me through this? For example, to access the Crop feature, I go to tools, then Effects and Filters, then to Video Effects and then finally to Crop. From there I can crop just great, easy to use, love it. But I can't get the cropping to save.

Can you walk it through for me like above so that even a dimwit like me can figure it out. Love the player, just can't get it to save! :?: :?: :?:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Dec 2009 19:20

You would have to transcode the video also, applying the filter itself isn't enough.
e.g.

Code: Select all

vlc videofile.avi --vout-filter crop --crop-geometry 320x200+10+10 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=800,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=C:\\output.ts}

greathobby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby greathobby » 12 Dec 2009 20:31

Okay, this may be beyond me. I don't even know what that means! When I go to crop, I crop 175 from the top and 350 from the left and it get exactly what I need. Know that, is there anything you can do, or suggest another editor that the avg Joe can use?

Tks for all your help

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 13 Dec 2009 21:42

AVIdemux as I said earlier.

scientist47
New Cone
New Cone

Tools->Settings->Stream output->Sout stream->Transcode

Postby scientist47 » 21 Dec 2009 16:02

I was looking for something similar and just found the solution.

I adjusted the contrast of a dvd movie, and wanted to save the results in a more compressed format. I first tried the Tools->Effects and Filters. It worked great to tune parameters until the result looked good. I tried saving/converting this, but the filters were not applied.

I then looked around in Tools->Settnings. I selected Show settings=All, and could then browse to Video->Filters. One of the sub items was Image Adjust which allows me to set contrast. Another item is Crop which is what you were asking for. The Image Adjust settings takes numerical values. I tried the best I could to match my optimal settings in Effects and Filters, but is was difficult since I could not find the corresponding numerical values of the slider positions in Effects and Filters. To enable the filter I clicked box of the corresponding filter in Video->Filters, under video filters. Now the filter is applied when viewing movies, but not when transcoding.

There is also the same set of filter boxes below video filters for video output filters. I don't what the difference is, but the filters were not applied after setting them either.

After browsing some more in Tools->Settings, I found a 3rd set of filter boxes in Stream output->Sout stream->Transcode. I enabled the Image properties filter here, and that filter was applied in the subsequent run/convert!

Until someone makes the effort to add a button in the Tools->Effects and Filters that applies the filters to transcoding (where applicable), this is the best method if you don't want to find the magic commands in the VLC documentation haystack. (no offence meant)

shrikant.tillu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shrikant.tillu » 07 Jan 2010 04:35

I cannot understand the technicals.I am a layman.Whether I can save the cropped video to my computer,USING VLC. by a simple method. I croped the video by using function in Tools-Video effects-Crop and tried to record it but it didnot work.Recording has been done as per the original video.Pl guide me.
I have made the settings suggested in the above post but it has not worked.

shrikant.tillu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shrikant.tillu » 07 Jan 2010 09:16

As suggested in one post i have tried Avidemux softwear.However in Avidemx there is no facility to crop upper and bottom side/s of the video.This facility is in VLC ,you can just play and view the corpped video,but cropped video cannot be saved. Kindly give some solution or give this facility in your next version.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Jan 2010 18:18

However in Avidemx there is no facility to crop upper and bottom side/s of the video.
Video -> Filters and Crop.

shrikant.tillu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shrikant.tillu » 08 Jan 2010 06:39

AVIdemus--

Video -> Filters and Crop

Thank u vlc_help.This has done very fine. However i encountered one more trouble,i.e. the file that has been created
is extension file and every time when i double click the file it ask me to 'open with' option,and every time I have to specify 'Vlc media player'. 'Always use the selected program' is option in this window is disabled hence i cannot check it and hence i have to chose program every time to play the cropped file. Pl guide me

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 Jan 2010 19:52

Add file extension to file, AVIdemux doesn't do that automatically. So when you choose filename, make something like my_video.avi

shrikant.tillu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shrikant.tillu » 09 Jan 2010 05:04

Thanks a lot it worked.The dat file already created has also changed to regular file with VLC media player icon after renaming the file as u suggested.

skadood1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby skadood1 » 05 Feb 2010 05:18

I am trying to do video filter of tranform (flip vertically), and tryed and tryed to do it through the GUI method on mac version. No go. I dont think you can transcode with filters currently.

I instead took a while to learn the command line method and eventually came out with this working command line:

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -I rc --vout-filter=transform --transform-type=vflip /Movie.mov --sout='#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=800,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=/output.mp4}'
you can type 'status' or 'stats' while it chugs along
-I rc is so that it doesnt open the GUI, but stays on the command line version
--vout-filter defines the filter to use
--transform-type defines the attributes of the transform filter
/Movie.mov is the file to convert
--sout= is the stream output chain
/output.mp4 is the output movie

lefodnes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lefodnes » 19 Feb 2010 02:39

I've struggled for some hours with this also, and found no solution for version 1.0.5. So I got back to the good old 0.8.6i.
With this code, I can crop a little bit and encode a videofile for my HTC Hero with Android.

set fname=%1 set fname=%fname:"=% c:\programfiler\videolan\vlc\vlc "%fname%" --sout=#transcode{cropleft=13,cropright=20,width=480,height=320,vcodec=h264,venc=x264{no-cabac,level=12,vbv-maxrate=384,vbv-bufsize=1000,keyint=75,ref=3,bframes=0},acodec=mp4a,ab=128,vb=384}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=mp4,dst="%fname%.htc.mp4"}}
I found an alternative in version 1.0.5 also, but I couldn't do it by the command line. I had to enter Tools | Settings, Show settings=All, Stream output, Sout stream, Transcode. I entered a maximum video width/height a little higher than my wanted output (in my case 510,350). I also had the "Video scaling filter" checked, but I don't know if that was crucial to make it work. Then I ran the code

set fname=%1 set fname=%fname:"=% c:\programfiler\videolan\vlc\vlc "%fname%" --sout=#transcode{width=480,height=320,vcodec=h264,venc=x264{no-cabac,level=12,vbv-maxrate=384,vbv-bufsize=1000,keyint=75,ref=3,bframes=0},acodec=mp4a,ab=128,vb=384}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=mp4,dst="%fname%.htc.mp4"}}

jleslie48
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jleslie48 » 06 Mar 2010 19:32

Ok, this thread is close, can somone finish the step-by-step how-to instructions for this procedure. Here, I'll start it in laymens terms:

Step Instruction.

1) Open VLC medial player version (1.0.3)

2) Click on Media --> open file...

3)

this forum needs a section of "how-to" guides. this is a perfect one to get it started.

Sincerely,

Jleslie48

shrikant.tillu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shrikant.tillu » 07 Mar 2010 03:03

Only by operating "record"button the cropped video should be saved.Pl make necessary changes in the next version.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Mar 2010 13:50

this forum needs a section of "how-to" guides. this is a perfect one to get it started.
Use Wiki.
http://wiki.videolan.org/

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”