VLC upgrading an installation - when will it be available?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
StreamR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC upgrading an installation - when will it be available?

Postby StreamR » 01 Feb 2010 13:27

Hi,

I like VLC very much but I have one problem with it: Every time when a new version comes out there is no way to upgrade an installation. because of the relative high frequency of new versions this is IMHO a problem:

You always have to deinstall the old version and the install the new version and every time you have to deactivate all the unnecessary features like desktop icons active-x plugin and file associations you don't want.

Please implement at least a feature that saves the installation settings and allows to re-use them on a new installation.

But the best way would still be an in-place upgrade. Just delete all old files in the install directory and copy the new files in it - what is so complicated on this?

StreamR

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC upgrading an installation - when will it be available?

Postby VLC_help » 01 Feb 2010 15:55

Just delete all old files in the install directory and copy the new files in it - what is so complicated on this?
It isn't enough. For example 1.0.5 contains some registry changes in case you use .exe installer.

StreamR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby StreamR » 01 Feb 2010 16:13

Let me guess: registration of the ActiveX component?

OK, if copying the files is not enough at least the re-use of the installation settings would be nice. The available settings so not change frequently and they could be saved and re-used upon a new installation.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Feb 2010 17:57

Let me guess: registration of the ActiveX component?
No. File association changes.
if copying the files is not enough at least the re-use of the installation settings would be nice. The available settings so not change frequently and they could be saved and re-used upon a new installation.
I added ticket for this trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3284

StreamR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby StreamR » 02 Feb 2010 19:31

Thank you very much.

babylon5
New Cone
New Cone

Postby babylon5 » 28 Feb 2010 04:23

This is very important to me as well. I use Windows Vista and have carefully configured my file associations. For example, .mpg files open with VLC, .rmvb files open with Real Player, .mov files open with Quick Time, .wmv files open with Windows Media Player, and .flv files open with VLC.

When I upgraded from VLC 1.0.3 to 1.0.5, I had to manually re-configure all of these file associations. It was very frustrating.

I love VLC!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”