Wallpaper under windows 7

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
AndreBal
New Cone
New Cone

Wallpaper under windows 7

Postby AndreBal » 13 Nov 2009 16:58

Dear all,

I have been trying to get the wallpaper mode to work under Windows 7. I ran into the followong problem:

When I switch to wallpaper mode, the screen flickers, as befits a change from aero to basic, and the background changes on my primary display. The windowd frame of vlc player is still visible. When I move or minimize the window, the backgroundreverts to its original colour (black) and the video can now be viewed in the vlc frame. The video is still running full screen, but it is like looking through the window to the background.

I have tried different settings within the program, I have tried all the displays, default settings and even reverting back to one screen. The result is always exactly the same.

The reason I want to use the wallpaper is because i want to be able to use other windows on top of the video without it going out of fullscreen. If there is another way of doing this, I would also be very happy.

//André
using:
Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom X-4 9950 Black edition
4Gb DDR2
PNY GeForce 9800 nVidia driver version 8.16.11.9062

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Wallpaper under windows 7

Postby VLC_help » 13 Nov 2009 18:42

You tried DirectX wallpaper mode or Direct3D wallpaper mode?

AndreBal
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AndreBal » 13 Dec 2009 22:49

I have tried all the different output modes, without avail.

I tried to find some ectra information, eliminate some more possibilities, nt I can't find any.

//André

mr.bryce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mr.bryce » 11 Dec 2010 19:39

same here. cant seem to get the video as background wallpaper neither with direct3d nor directx options.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Dec 2010 22:04

If you open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you try to do wallpaper mode, does the log complain something when you enable wallpaper mode?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”