Opening JPG from HTTP

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sjw209
New Cone
New Cone

Opening JPG from HTTP

Postby sjw209 » 30 Nov 2009 01:57

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to stream JPEGs from my website into VLC to make a sort of slideshow. The JPEGs get passed as output from a php script. However, when I try to open the images directly from the website (i.e. by putting the link to the php file in the open box) vlc hangs for a little while and then just does nothing. when i click play, it also does nothing. however, when i open jpegs from my computer they play for ten seconds (which is perfect :D ).

i think i know why this is: my guess is that because local jpegs are opened with the 'Fake' decoder or similar that decoder decides to play them for 10 seconds. however, as network streams are opened with some sort of HTTP thing it just tries to play to the end of the stream, which for a jpeg is one frame. its just a theory, now i've written it out it seems wrong.

so my question is, how do i get VLC to display JPEGs from a website (and for 10 seconds)?

Thanks!!
sjw

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Opening JPG from HTTP

Postby VLC_help » 30 Nov 2009 13:26

What does Tools -> Messages... (set Verbosity to 2) say when you try to open the HTTP link? (open messages before trying to open the URL)

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: Opening JPG from HTTP

Postby erwan10 » 30 Nov 2009 18:10

This is a known limitation.

As of today, only image files that have got no prefix can be detected by the fake demux and then displayed as still images.

images adressed in the form of file://image.jpg or http://image.jpg are run as video files, and result in a fleeting image being displayed.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”