Slide Show Problems VLC 1.0.3

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tcc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Slide Show Problems VLC 1.0.3

Postby tcc » 17 Nov 2009 05:08

Hi,

Slide Show feature is very nice BTW :) but I can only get it to work by using VLC UI and Advanced Open File dialog. This produces a Slide Show with 10 second delay between images.

If however I save a playlist of the image files, then open the playlist, the images are displayed but with 0 (zero) duration. It appears that the duration is being ignored.

Are image file types being handled correctly in playlists?

tcc

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: Slide Show Problems VLC 1.0.3

Postby erwan10 » 17 Nov 2009 16:22

This is a known limitation.

Up to now, an image is stored in a playlist with a file:// prepended to its name. When it is read again, vlc sees it as a video file with a zero size instead of a still image.

Btw, you can also drap&drop still images on vlc and the 10 second default can be configured in preferences (fake-duration parameter)

Erwan10

tcc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Slide Show Problems VLC 1.0.3

Postby tcc » 18 Nov 2009 02:01

Ok thanks for for confirming the playlist limitation.

As an alternative, I found that simply supplying a list of image files on the command line works same as selecting them from the Advanced Open File dialog. The files play in sequence using the default duration (10 secs) :)

A second problem I've run into with Slide Show streaming is that it is sensitive to the image size and image type. I'm just transcoding using vcodec=mp2v mux=ts and for example, 1024x768 jpg files playback fine at the streaming target PC but png files playback with a lot of image distortion and flickering. Also, large 3072x2304 jpg's (as are output from cameras) produce zero playback at the streaming target. If however they are resized to let's say 1280x960 or 1024x768, they will playback just fine.

Lastly, I've discovered that it is not possible to stream an audio track along with the Slide Show because input-slave=<audio file> is not working in 1.0.x, but there is a trac ticket for this issue.

Regards,
tcc

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”