Can't change WMV file association...

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
xichael
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Can't change WMV file association...

Postby xichael » 28 Oct 2009 08:53

I'm trying to change the WMV file type association to play with Windows Media Player (because these videos won't play properly in VLC - another problem needing to be addressed), but every time I set it (checking the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" option), VLC takes association back. It simply won't stick.

How can I make this happen? Is VLC preventing it? Help!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Can't change WMV file association...

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Oct 2009 09:55

Those wmv videos taken from the zip files works for me... Btw

Use WMP options to take the file back
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

xichael
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can't change WMV file association...

Postby xichael » 28 Oct 2009 20:52

The Videos do play, they just don't play properly. The video will freeze or become distorted periodically, while the audio will play on. WMP plays them fine. I've encountered this before with MOV files that will only play properly in Quicktime (videos from Lynda.com, in particular).

Changing options in WMP did stop the files from opening in VLC, but they still won't open directly. The "Open With" dialogue pops up every time, asking what program I want to use to open the file. Checking the "Always use the selected program" box does nothing. It just pops back up again next time. Perhaps this problem is beyond the scope of this forum. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I've removed the WMP context menu entries...

**EDIT**
Yep, that's exactly what it was. When I ran "regsvr32 wmpshell.dll" the problem was solved.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”