Two questions about preferences and packaging

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
streampunk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Two questions about preferences and packaging

Postby streampunk » 02 Oct 2009 16:34

1. I've got a playlist set for VLC to open by default. This works well, but when VLC opens, it displays the path of the playlist as http://somewebsite/somefolder/someplaylist.m3u instead of the actual playlist. When I click to expand the playlist, the path disappears and it shows the playlist items as I want them to appear. Is there any way to get VLC to expand the playlist by default and not require the extra click to expand from the path of the playlist location?

2. I would like to take a custom skin and my current preferences and package them up into a single exe for other users so they're all installed by default. I've found the .nsi file for packaging and the commented code inside seems fairly straightforward, but I can't seem to figure out how to set default preferences or skins in packaging. Any suggestions or documentation I can read to help out with this?

Thanks so much.
-S

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Two questions about preferences and packaging

Postby VLC_help » 03 Oct 2009 16:13

--playlist-tree, --no-playlist-tree
Display playlist tree (default disabled)
The playlist can use a tree to categorize some items, like the
contents of a directory. (default disabled)
maybe that one.
2. Replace the default.vlt with your skin.

streampunk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby streampunk » 06 Oct 2009 19:08

Hey, thanks for the reply!

So, just so I'm clear, instead of writing a default config file to install with VLC, you're saying I should just modify the NSI script to install shortcuts with the command line options I want users to use?

Something like this in the NSI installer?
CreateShortCut "$DESKTOP\VLC media player.lnk" \
"$INSTDIR\vlc.exe" "--ffmpeg-skiploopfilter=4 --no-playlist-tree http://someip/someplaylist.m3u"

I tested that out and the --no-playlist-tree or --playlist-tree command doesn't really seem to make a difference. The playlist exhibits the same behavior I mentioned in the original post. Any other ideas on how to get the playlist to expand by default? Is this some kind of shortcoming of M3U? Could it be because the playlist is being served from a website?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Oct 2009 14:31

The playlist exhibits the same behavior I mentioned in the original post.
Then the option doesn't do what I suspect it would do. My bad.
Any other ideas on how to get the playlist to expand by default?
No.
Is this some kind of shortcoming of M3U?
Should be same for all playlist formats.
Could it be because the playlist is being served from a website?
I would guess no.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”