no audio - m4a m4b

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: no audio - m4a m4b

Postby VLC_help » 06 Sep 2009 10:06

a) on what the DMO setting does and
DMO defaults to DirectX Media Objects decoders if system has those.
b) on how those entires ever came to be there - I had never previously put anything into that preferred decoders field!
Maybe you have run VLC with quicktime option and then saved the settings?

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby cybmole » 06 Sep 2009 10:17

a) on what the DMO setting does and
DMO defaults to DirectX Media Objects decoders if system has those.
b) on how those entires ever came to be there - I had never previously put anything into that preferred decoders field!
Maybe you have run VLC with quicktime option and then saved the settings?
Hmm do does one " run VLC with quicktime option" - if that is a command line setting then No I have not used command line settings before this thread.
DMO - I never added that manually
does ticking "use system codecs if available" box affect this area ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Sep 2009 14:27

does ticking "use system codecs if available" box affect this area ?
Yep. But removing the tick should remove the text also.

phirzcol
New Cone
New Cone

Postby phirzcol » 09 Sep 2009 06:01

balls cool thanks reinstalled vlc 10 times and every codec i could find thanks a million. I really had a hard time believing there was anything vlc would not play been a user for 3 years now and has never let me down

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Sep 2009 12:51

Can you share the non-working file?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 09 Sep 2009 13:28

Can you share the non-working file?
if that is addressed to me - it's not one specific file that fails, it's any file using an M4A codec. you see from codec properties while the file is playin tht no audio is beign decoded. may I suggest the small sample.mov file which installs with quicktime as a suitable test case, as that's on most people's PCs already and has the "no audio" bug on my problem PC when that VLC installation decides to malfunction.

I posted verbose debug for sample.mov earlier in the thread.

I'd add a copy for you but am not seeing an option to post a file attachement for some reason.

cybmole

Re: no audio - m4a m4b - FIXED

Postby cybmole » 11 Sep 2009 22:02

I can now confirm that this bug is caused/cured by ticking/unticking "use system codecs if available" ( ticking this box causes VLC to add quicktime to preferred docoders list & M4A audio is then lost - removing it & unticking the box restores audio)

If VLC is allowed to add quicktime to it's preferred codecs list, which it does when use system codecs is ticked, then there is no sound from files which use M4A codec. I have had quicktime 7.5 on this PC for ages (I don't update it because I never use it) & I guess that VLCs ability to hook intto quicktime codecs got broken in some version - either in some version of quicktime or in some version of VLC. I see that quicktime is now up to v7.6.4. but I suspect the problem is with VLC, as there no no audio problems when I use the quicktime player.

This explanation makes consistent sense of all my previous posts re restore preferences, as I've been in the habit of ticking the use system codecs box whenever I have customised preferences again. Forcing the use of faad codec also works as a workaround, but I beleive that the VLC - quicktime link is the root cuse of the bug.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”