lower volume

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
genegold
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: WinXP

lower volume

Postby genegold » 05 Aug 2009 21:32

For a few weeks after a switch back and forth twice of motherboards, VLC 1.0.1 was playing videos and some music at higher volume than Zoom Player 6 or 7RC. Then after some uninstalls/reinstalls of Realtek driver and players, the situation reversed a bit and is as follows:

- ZP7 plays much louder than VLC with AC3 audio
- VLC is a fair amount louder with MPEG audio (MP3)
- MPEG audio and WMA2 are about the same across players

What should I be looking at to even them up, at least with VLC and AC3?

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma Black Ed.
MSI R4670
XP/SP3
Realtek HD Audio driver (current)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: lower volume

Postby VLC_help » 06 Aug 2009 17:16

With AC3, make sure that you are using stereo output if you only have stereo speakers.

genegold
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby genegold » 06 Aug 2009 17:40

Thanks. The Stereo choice is showing correctly. Before the reinstalls, AC3 and ffdshow icons would show up in the sys tray (notification panel) with VLC and not ZP. Since the reinstalls, it's just the opposite. Their presence seems to correlate with volume level. Where do I get those working correctly? Btw, VLC was the last reinstall and I just accepted its default file associations.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Aug 2009 15:00

FFDshow shouldn't wake up with VLC, because VLC isn't DirectShow player. AC3filter might, if you have forced it to encode all audio to AC3.
http://ac3filter.net/files/images/ac3fi ... review.png

genegold
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby genegold » 07 Aug 2009 17:04

Thanks. I don't really care, just poking around for cause(s) of the substantial volume differences. My AC3 config screen shows the same settings as yours, given that SPDIF now has its own tab, so that doesn't seem to be it. Playing a video with AC3 audio in VLC brings up the a52 codec. They're supposed to be similar, but I wonder if that's causing the difference.

OTOH, I just reconfigured MPEG audio (MP3) in Zoom Player to AC3, and now it's louder than VLC, not that the latter is soft. Before all these installs and reinstalls (former XP system and HDD), I had lots of codec packages and perhaps that took care of this issue automatically. I've avoided installing so much this time.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”