Keep size and aspect ratio over sessions?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Villervalle
New Cone
New Cone

Keep size and aspect ratio over sessions?

Postby Villervalle » 05 Aug 2009 11:07

This surely must be a very noobish question, but i am all new to VLC and cant seem to find the settings (if there is any) for these features.

I want to keep the video size and aspect ratio settings so they are the same everytime i start the player, no matter what video material im playing. How do i fix that? If i put Video>Zoom to 2:1, Video>Aspect ratio to 16:9 and also maybe do some manual resizing of the player window, how can i keep those settings so they take effect next time i play a video file?

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: Keep size and aspect ratio over sessions?

Postby erwan10 » 05 Aug 2009 15:52

- Uncheck "Resize Interface to Video size" in first panel of preferences (Windows or Linux qt4 interface) for new videos not to resize the interface.

- Usually, don't tamper with aspect-ratio, as it is intended to force an aspect-ratio (sar), if vlc fails to detect the right one. Most of the time, the aspect-ratio is detected successfully.

- If you want to always have the same visual aspect ratio, the crop parameter is the right parameter. For instance, setting crop to 16:9 means vlc will do the necessary cropping to adapt to 16:9 whatever the source.

Erwan10

Villervalle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Villervalle » 06 Aug 2009 06:12

Thank you Sir, much appreciated, but that didnt work as i wanted. When unticking that option the VLC screen shrinked to even smaller size than it did before unticking it. I´m so new to this media player, but others i´ve used very often have the abilitiy to remember windows state at exit (fullscreen/width/height whatever) and keep it next time you start the player by for instance double clicking a video file. Sorta annoying having to resize the window to your likings every time you play a video......

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 06 Aug 2009 10:05

A few more remarks:

- beware, new settings in preferences are taken into account only after you quit and restart vlc.

- For vlc to really never change in size, two parameters can be used :
- untick "Resize Interface to Video Size" so that video size doesn't take over
- select "Complete" as display mode for the interface to keep a video screen when no video is launched.
Both parameters are found in the first screen of preferences for LInux and Windows. (MacOS is another story)

Erwan10

Villervalle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Villervalle » 06 Aug 2009 17:51

Ahhhhh erwan10, that really did the trick! Exactly the behavior i was asking for, thank you very much!

wguru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wguru » 30 Aug 2009 10:52

I don't find any of the mentioned option tickable/un-tickable(s) as described.

I'm running VLC media player 0.8.6f Janus (wxWidgets interface)on an XPH SP3 OS and as best as I recall, all the player's settings are default. And in that I run VLC on an Acer Netbook (with an 8.6" screen) and prefer to run the player minimized, and as such every time the player opens, the slider is not seen until I drag the window a bit smaller. The slider does appear every time if I run the player in full screen, but at risk of being difficult, I'm seeking to run in minimized and not have to always drag the window smaller to avail the slider's access.

I frequently find program windows that won't display properly (SUPER, Movie Factory, etc.) and for those I'm forced to use an external monitor (so maybe that's why the player's window doesn't default open and display the slider until I shrink the window).

If that's not the sole cause for why I'm forced to re-size the player window each time I use it (just to access the slider), maybe I need to install another version to do as the post's recommendations suggest and/or maybe my version doesn't afford user's setting and (in my case) hopefully retaining a last set player window size.

Hopefully tweaking the player's setting will allow me to open VLC media player so as to display the slider so as to avoid having to run 'VLC' on an external monitor and/or using another monitor, but I checked the myriad of VLC settings (even in advanced mode) and what with my limited expertise and familiarity with the player, I'm left posting here.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Aug 2009 19:12

I'm running VLC media player 0.8.6f Janus
Too old. It doesn't have those options.

coeurl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby coeurl » 31 Aug 2009 01:43

I found this thread very helpful, solved some issues that have driven me nuts.
Thanks all!

wguru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wguru » 31 Aug 2009 19:47

'did-do', got latest as of to date (at http://www.videolan.org/), used VLC's appreciatively afforded uninstall.exe, then ins5alled today's latest version.

Of note, whenever auto-update prog is afforded, I opt out to avoid potentially getting more than I bargained for, not to mention losing features that get 'pressured' out of availability (eg; Original Decryter, etc.).

Much thanks. Not only does VideoLAN kindly support its software w/a readily found forum w/generous contributors, usefully dedicated search engine, excellent response time, but moreover, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't unnecessarily close/time out older posts.

happ-e-trails,

wguru

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”