The Look Of VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
televole
New Cone
New Cone

The Look Of VLC

Postby televole » 21 Jul 2009 23:24

Hi everybody you are doing a great job.Thank you for that.This is my first post here.
I have used VLC 8.6i for a long time until today.Yesterday I downloaded a .mkv movie.When I opened with VLC it showed almost a quarter garbage of the film.I was sure that the movie is a corrupted (I never suspected that the problem was VLC).Just before deleting the movie I tried windows media player and I was shocked.The movie actually had no bugs,instead VLC 8.6i was not doing well with it.So thats why I thought it's time to update the software.(I was not updating because of the new ugly look of new VLC's).With new VLC the movie is just doing fine like WMP.But the problem is now the new look.It is very foreign to me.I could not reach easly(fast) the features I used with 8.6i.
For example ; in fullscreen if you clicked right mouse a menu was popping up and you could easly reach the "aspect ratio" feature(I love 2:221 in widescreen movies).But in the new vlc it takes two steps to reach the "aspect ratio" after the right mouse click.(I could not find a solution for that).
I really don't like to see buttons(control panel) in fullscreen mode.(I hate it even though it fades out after a couple of seconds) (found a sloution for that)
Where are the fast and slow forward keys ? (found a sloution for that,to change the buttons is a good idea for a media player)
If you click one time for "fast forward" the speed becomes 1.5x .How can I alter the speed stepping like the old 8.6i (1x,2x,4x,8x) (Didn't find any solution for this,yet)
I hate to see the movies name when I open the file.(Was easy to overcome)
In short why did you change the GUI ?
Could you compile the new VLC's with the old GUI ? (PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE) :cry: :cry:
At least you can release an altenative old gui version for new VLC's couldn't you ?
If you say : "Do it yourself we are busy man!" Then help me on how to do it.
Thanks for replying me.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: The Look Of VLC

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Jul 2009 23:49

- Right click menu got longer and longer with more features, screen for netbooks are small => 2 levels of video menu. You can't change sorry.
- Fullscreen controller is deactivable. See preferences.
- Fast and Slow buttons are both sides of the slider. Keys are in preferences.
- 1.5 is the default, because you can have audio while going faster, and 2.0 is too fast for those cases.
- Movie name is deactivable. See preferences.

We changed the GUI because it had many issues, starting with the slider that did not jump where it should, the volume control that didn't work on all windows version, UTF-8 and Right To Left Langage that wasn't supported correctly, lock-ups, Always and top and Fullscreen conflicts, complex preferences, unfriendly opening of files, outdated playlist, small and not usable buttons, but also no fullscreen controller (sorry, people actually want this), global hotkeys. Not to count, faster coding, more dialogs, button customization, better Windows Vista and 7 support.

So, no, you can't get the old gui with the new version. If you like it that much, keep the old version.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

televole
New Cone
New Cone

Postby televole » 22 Jul 2009 00:29

Do you know how many people like me do not update their VLC software on the planet ?
I think considering to release an alt. version with the old gui is a good idea.I'm from turkey.In our forum almost everyone complain about the new look of the vlc and do not update.Our forum is the most active movie board in Turkey.
And BTW I must say that VLC is not doing well with Matroska(mostly contain x264 coded video).VLC shows garbage in certain cases which media player classic or WMP doesn't do that.For example when there are instant scenes that change from certain light to certain dark it shows garbage.My problem was different in the first post,that gargabe was becoz of old vlc.But the problem I mentioned here is not gone.
Why am I writing this ? I write it because everywhere the connection speed is increasing.1 month ago my connection was 1 megabit.Now I am able to connect 4 megabit per second.If the connection speed increases so fast on the planet,people start not caring about the sizes of the videos anymore and that means they will start to download more and more 4,6,8 gig matroska files.You know matroska rips mostly are containing x264 coded video.(BTW I don't know if problems with VLC occur because of avc codec or matrosca container) And unfortunately I must reveal that VLC is not doing well with it.Of course if we are talking about avi-Xvid there is nothing but VLC.But time is changing and avi-xvid are losing against mkv-x264.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Jul 2009 09:14

I think considering to release an alt. version with the old gui is a good idea.I'm from turkey.In our forum almost everyone complain about the new look of the vlc and do not update.Our forum is the most active movie board in Turkey.
People are always whiney about the GUIs.
When it was the old UI, people didn't like it because it was too minimalist and buggy.
With the new UI, some people (quite rare, sorry) complain that it has too many features...

Even you could have all the features you want with the new GUI using the preferences. Except the 2-level right-click menu... Well, you have to understand that there too many options to put them in one row.
BTW I must say that VLC is not doing well with Matroska
This is probably the most vague assumption ever.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Jul 2009 17:00

VLC shows garbage in certain cases which media player classic or WMP doesn't do that.
VLC doesn't use same codecs as WMP or MPC.

televole
New Cone
New Cone

Postby televole » 31 Oct 2009 01:52

BTW I must say that VLC is not doing well with Matroska
This is probably the most vague assumption ever.
Sorry for that vague assumption. :D
I have improved myself a little bit in these matters.I realized the problem is occuring becoz of the used x264 codec not due to matroska con.-vlc relationship.
More clearly to my old posts here;when video changes from certain light to certain dark the light areas leave shadows.Which fade out in a couple of seconds.It happens especially at the beginnings of movies.
While white-bold-big titles dissapearing.For example "DIRECTED BY SPIELBERG"

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”