VLC IE/Firefox/Chrome plugin wierdness

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
InoSiX
New Cone
New Cone

VLC IE/Firefox/Chrome plugin wierdness

Postby InoSiX » 13 Jul 2009 23:14

Ohiya thar!
Just installed VLC 1.0 and tried opening media in all three of my internet browsers. The mp3 opens up and begins playing audio, but doesn't have any progression bar whatsoever. In fact, there is NO controls on it at all. The only thing it displays is "Waiting for video". I'm using Vista x64. It's kinda silly that it would continue to display the "Waiting for video" in my opinion, but i can live with that. I just want some kinda seek/progress bar. What might be the problem?

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9.8a & 1.0-git
Operating System: GNU/Linux Fedora10

Re: VLC IE/Firefox/Chrome plugin wierdness

Postby thannoy » 14 Jul 2009 11:44

If Web plugins are new for you, be aware they are controlled by Javascriopt. The is no controls embedded (except for the mozilla plugin on linux X11) but you can do it using Javascript.
The video area displays the waiting text until a video has to be shown. For audio playback, you can hide this plugin.

Some links:
Javascript API: Documentation:WebPlugin
Revolunet JS libraries: http://vlc.revolunet.com

InoSiX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby InoSiX » 14 Jul 2009 13:47

Thanks for the reply. No I'm not wise on the javascript and the works. Do you think this will be worked on in the future? What it's doing now is a good thing, I would just like to have use of really standard features like seeking and track length, and maybe volume control. I dont really care what program does it, but quicktime currently on my x64 bit system runs with a blacked out seek bar to replace the otherwise working and visible bar, and it's really annoying. I hafta guess where everything is. I looked online and there is no fix for this. I think this would be a valid community project, more so than say the Puzzle feature, turning your movie into one of those interactive slider puzzles, which albeit funny to mess with here and there, not really needed. The extra step of downloading the file and opening it manually seems archaic once you've gotten usta having it open automatically in a separate window or tab or something is perferable. Also, with vista x64 I CANNOT uninstall WMP, or so i have read, and i will not open MP3s in the browser. Sorry for the rant.

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 14 Jul 2009 15:20

I don't know if it will "work" in the future. It has to be done before :)

There was been a plan to work on it in the past. For what I know, this sub-project didn't reached the end (at least for the web plugins part). As I said, one interface exists. Unfortunately it has been written platform-specific (Linux) for the mozilla-plugin.

SoC_2008/GUI_interfaces_for_the_browsers_plug-ins

InoSiX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby InoSiX » 16 Jul 2009 20:38

I happened to stumble across some javascript controls that i might me able to use. They are in .js format. I would like to have them embedded into media already posted, like when i hit a link and a mp3 opens up. Am I able to do that?

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 17 Jul 2009 10:35

You can have a look at a mozilla extension named "GreaseMonkey".
Its goal is to have personal JS scripts executed depending on website URL matching. Someone already wrote a stuff to change Youtube flash videos to be VLC HTML nodes for VLC to play them.
I don't know similar IExplorer extension.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”