Issues with Subtittles and MKV HD format!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
nyxboomer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Issues with Subtittles and MKV HD format!

Postby nyxboomer » 19 Jun 2009 07:49

i'm using windows vista and am facing problems with the subtitle size ,
MKV format files attend to have ether huge or extremely small size fonts, but that all depends on the resolution though.
but the funny part is when i use the same video file on WMP 11 i have no problems with the subtitles. KMplayer has the decrease and increase font size Option which can be used by simply holding down the ctrl button and using the scroller.

here is the file that i'm facing problems with the subtitles.

http://rapidshare.com/files/235210224/E ... .part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/235568346/E ... .part2.rar

There is an issue with the HD MKV format. When i run this vid, some times Vlc just crashes, but the funny part is the GUI interface is still there but wont respond. and under processes tab in the task manager, you can still see vlc running.

here is my com specs

Ram : 2Gb
processor: C2DE8400 3.0Ghz
Application : VLC-0.9.9-win32
GPU : Asus EN GTX260

I hope Developers can add the subtittle feture in their next release.

Thank you.
Last edited by nyxboomer on 23 Jun 2009 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Issues with Subtittles and MKV HD format!

Postby Lotesdelere » 19 Jun 2009 17:52

Known issue, actually the subtitles depend on the native resolution of the video and not on the size of the window.

There are hopes that it should finally be fixed in v1.1.

nyxboomer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nyxboomer » 23 Jun 2009 07:27

i hope that developers will take this matter seriously. Not being able to increase or decrease the size of the subtitles using hot keys is a real pain in the A**, because i will have to switch players to ether decrease or increase the size.
I know the subtitle depends on the resolution, but the thing is that the exact same file works perfectly on Media player 11.

OH!...

there is also another issue with vlc other than it keeps on crashing when viewing HD MKV format vids, is VLC does not have any type of dynamic contrast or color enhancing features. When i play any type of vids on VLC it looks very dim, and lifeless.

Alexsource
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Alexsource » 23 Jun 2009 16:48

Vlc has an option to adjust contrast, brightness and gamma, but not automagically. There was a request for "color profiles" the other day. Perhaps you just need to better calibrate your monitor brightness / video card color and video overlay options? (NOTE: IF your video card is fairly decent and you have an LCD monitor, it "shouldn't" be necesary).

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Jun 2009 17:23

Vlc has an option to adjust contrast, brightness and gamma, but not automagically.
You start the filter automatically with certain options if you want to always use same options.

nyxboomer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nyxboomer » 23 Jun 2009 20:25

thanks for the colour option tip. Now the problem is the crashing and the Subtittle, I hope developers can fix this in the upcoming version.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”