VLC won't install on Windows 7

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
desi_jockey
New Cone
New Cone

VLC won't install on Windows 7

Postby desi_jockey » 14 May 2009 17:19

After an upgrade from Vista (with VLC already installed) -> Windows 7 RC1 I was able to run VLC fine.

However, after trying to upgrade to VLC 1.0.0 rc1, I was required to first uninstall my old VLC. The uninstallation runs fine, but when I try to install, all of the options are not visible (ie the check boxes to cutomise the install), and often the installation crashes due to an "unexpected error". I've looked all over the net, but no one seems to have had this problem yet.

I tried to install the latest stable version, after troubleshooting capability and setting it to Vista and giving the installation admin rights. This usually works with installations for previous version of Windows but with VLC, often the install doesn't start at all. Again, when it does start under compatibility mode, the menus are not visible and then it crashes and has to close.

I don't understand how VLC works on Windows 7 after the upgrade, yet it doesn't like a fresh install of it?!

jabelsen
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC won't install on Windows 7

Postby jabelsen » 14 May 2009 18:27

Are you running the 32, or 64 bit version of Windows 7?
I just finnished installing Windows 7 RC1 32-bit, and installed the VLC v1.0.0 RC1 with no problem.

By the way, you might need to right click on the installer file, and select "run as administrator" to give full administrator rights to the installer in order to let it overwrite the old files.

desi_jockey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby desi_jockey » 14 May 2009 21:17

Are you running the 32, or 64 bit version of Windows 7?
I just finnished installing Windows 7 RC1 32-bit, and installed the VLC v1.0.0 RC1 with no problem.

By the way, you might need to right click on the installer file, and select "run as administrator" to give full administrator rights to the installer in order to let it overwrite the old files.
I am running RC1 32-bit, virtually fresh upgrade.

I have also noticed that on some occasions, the install file doesn't actually open, but the process appears on the task manager. Shortly after, WerFault.exe appears and then both are terminated.

Some digging in the event logs gives me some more information, the faulting module is COMCTL32.DLL. Now to fix it...

jabelsen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jabelsen » 16 May 2009 11:12

Werfault.exe is the executable for Windows Problem Reporting (the one that creates the pop-up that says the program crashed, and asks if you want to send an error report to Microsoft) while COMCTL32.DLL is the user experience controls library

Try to check your version number on COMCTL32.DLL (simply click the start menu, and type COMCTL32.DLL in the search bar, then right click COMCTL32.DLL and select properties -> details)
Use the same procedure on werfault.exe

then compare your version numbers and file sizes with mine:

When you've checked this, locate your VLC installer, right click on it, and select "run as administrator".
If prompted, select uninstall previous version, and make sure you select "delete preferences and cache" when you reinstall.

desi_jockey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby desi_jockey » 16 May 2009 13:38

I have exactly the same file versions and sizes as you. Also, there is no pop up when the program crashes (the one to send error information to microsoft). It starts the vlc install process, then the problem reporting kicks in and shuts it down, but there is no visible window that opens, neither the install window or the windows error pop up.

So basically, when I click the install nothing at all happens in terms of the windows GUI.

I have managed to install VLC 0.99 , albeit by clicking through the install process as quickly as possible as I noticed that there is a delay when the install windows actually opens and when it crashes. However, any box that is present inside the install window (license agreement, checkboxes and options etc.) are blank i.e just a white box.I seem to have bypassed the dodgy file thats causing it to crash mid way through the install process and get VLC back up and runnung.

Appreciate the suggestions anyway!

Guppy49
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Guppy49 » 16 May 2009 23:53

I have used VLC - various versions on Windows 7 beta and now on Windows 7 RC1, installation has never been a problem.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”