Check for updates fails

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
xerces8
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Check for updates fails

Postby xerces8 » 19 Apr 2009 11:28

VLC 0.9.9 on WinXP Pro 32-bit SP3

When I select the Help / Check for Updates... menu, the dialog shows an error (with no details) :

Clicking recheck gives the same result.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: Check for updates fails

Postby Arite » 19 Apr 2009 22:50

Updates in 0.9.x have been disabled. VLC 1.0.0 should have a new and improved update feature.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

clcradiogm
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Check for updates fails when going from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1

Postby clcradiogm » 30 Jul 2009 03:05

Updates in 0.9.x have been disabled. VLC 1.0.0 should have a new and improved update feature.

Arite.
Unfortunately, VLC 1.0.0 may have a new update feature, it needs improvement, Using it always fails when the update script tries to write to a file. And VLC does not close (probably needs to be close if the updater is writes to a file). Closing VLC (after choosing Check for Updates from within it), closes the update box. Also, the updater should NOT ask where we have VLC installed (the onus should not be placed on the user to dig into a Windows 98-style tree to find where VLC is installed) the script should have that information pre-stored (very easy to code, actually). So, for now, update fails. Just as before, we must get and download manually.

atariboy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby atariboy » 14 Aug 2009 05:49

I have the same trouble. I am admin, I VLC can't seem to write anywhere to save the update - local permissions are not the problem.

blueflygreen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby blueflygreen » 15 Aug 2009 20:36

I can't save the update anywhere either when prompted by the player to save the update. It says it can't write the file to anywhere.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”