smb:// Samba File Share User Name and Password

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
StevieG
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

smb:// Samba File Share User Name and Password

Postby StevieG » 09 Apr 2009 22:49

Is the smb:// input access module supposed to work on windows? It does not seem to work in version 0.9.9 on Windows XP. Has it ever worked on windows?

Basically I don't want to provide direct access to all of the samba media files shared on a local network. The user should never know the samba username or password to the shared network files. But, I'd like to provide access through software that uses the vlc activex plugin and I can pass the smb-user and smb-pwd options when adding files to the playlist. The problem is that VLC crashes when using the SMB input access module. I don't think I can provide the samba username and password if I use the file input access module. I tried "file://\\username:password@hostname\sharename\filename", but it didn't work.

When I use vlc.exe --smb-user=username --smb-pwd=password smb://hostname/sharename/filename Then VLC 0.9.9 crashes. The message is "VLC media player has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Here are the related log messages:

Code: Select all

main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'smb://hostname/sharename/filename' main debug: waiting for thread initialization main debug: thread started main debug: thread 4724 (input) created at priority 1 (../../src/input/input.c:370) main debug: `smb://hostname/sharename/filename' gives access `smb' demux `' path `hostname/sharename/filename' main debug: creating demux: access='smb' demux='' path='hostname/sharename/filename' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 0 candidates main warning: no access_demux module matched "smb" main debug: TIMER module_Need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: creating access 'smb' path='hostname/sharename/filename' main debug: looking for access module: 1 candidate access_smb debug: connected to \\hostname/sharename/filename\sharename/filename qt4 debug: Error while initializing qt-specific localization qt4 debug: Updating the stream status: 3
The problem could be what it does to the url. See the "access_smb" line above where it duplicates the sharename and filename. Why does it do that I wonder? Is that the reason it crashes?

StevieG
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: smb:// Samba File Share User Name and Password

Postby StevieG » 09 Apr 2009 22:59

I have confirmed the exact same problem with smb access module in VLC 0.8.6i.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”