Maximize over 2 monitors?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Infrabasse
New Cone
New Cone

Maximize over 2 monitors?

Postby Infrabasse » 12 Mar 2009 19:16

Hi,

I'm currently using VLC 0.9.6 (I'll have to try 0.9.8 but I hear it's a bit buggy with multi monitor setups and 0.9.9 is coming soon?).
The Hardware setup is a 8800GTS (drv 182.06) hooked up to 2 identical LCD monitors on an XP Pro 32.
I've setup the card in dual view since an extended desktop doesn't suit me for gaming.

In Dual view I'm having a number of issues:
- I can't maximize over 2 screens, i need to stretch the VLC window over both screens, and end up with the top and bottom part of the UI using up some space.
- I need to change the video renderer to OpenGL, but that's not an issue really

In extended desktop mode I can maximize over both monitors without issue (actually any window of any type maximises over 2 screens, which is not wanted).
And it might be interesting to note I then don't have to change the video renderer.

So basically the only problem I'm facing is that I can't do a proper maximize over 2 screens in Dual View mode. It'd be nice to have this feature implemented someway or another. The system as it's setup is perfectly capable of rendering a windowed VLC over both monitors, or play independent videos on both screens at the same time. All I really need is the possibility to get rid of the UI in windowed mode or even better, have a secondary maximize option somewhere in there (with a keyboard shortcut for easy toggle)

I don't know if this is possible/planned or maybe even implemented in one of the upcoming versions but I'd really appreciate if you could have a look into this as it's the only problem I'm facing with VLC. Sorry to join the forum for complaining/requesting, I'm a 6 year user I should have joined earlier to praise this great app.

Thanks for reading

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Maximize over 2 monitors?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Mar 2009 00:42

Have you tried wall feature of VLC?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Infrabasse
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Maximize over 2 monitors?

Postby Infrabasse » 13 Mar 2009 11:50

This works great ! exactly what I needed thank you :D
I never had the need to play with the impressive amount of command line switches for VLC before

So adding --vout-filter=wall --wall-cols=2 --wall-rows=1 after the shortcut does exactly what I needed

Thanks again :!:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”