Open Menu Horrors

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
vidica
New Cone
New Cone

Open Menu Horrors

Postby vidica » 30 Jan 2009 04:58

These are more like complaints that need to be addressed, all regarding the Open menu in the current build of VLC. I know someone knows about it, because it went from badly broken to still badly broken in one of the recent releases.

First of all, why are there two Open menus to begin with? Open and Advanced Open? Why not stick with Windows conventions and use the standard Open menu.

The current "Open" (that is, not "Advanced Open") has the following problems:

- It opens at My Documents, okay maybe this isn't a problem and if the second problem didn't exist, it would be fine.
- It does not retain last-opened-location. That is, if I open the Open menu, navigate to C:\My Videos\ and open a file, opening that menu again would take me to My Documents, and not back to C:\My Videos\, depending on the path to your files this is extremely irritating for in anything except very casual viewing.

The current "Advanced Open" dialogue has the following problems:
- Upon navigating to a folder that is populated with files and folders, it may appear completely empty. After using the drop down box to select the exact same location that has already been navigated to, the files and folders reappear.
- The function of the "Up One Level", back and forward buttons causes similar effects, however sometimes VLC finds things that are not even in the folder being navigated to. It often shows the previous state of the same folder, and not the current. Very annoying.
- Normally in Windows, entering a path or (as simple as "C:\") in the "File Names:" box would navigate you to that path, showing the paths contents. In VLC's "Advanced Open" it immediately attempts to open said path, obviously failing if you are trying to play your drive letter.

With these annoying bugs, neither menu is intuitive, standard or useful and both need to be abolished in favor of the usual, standard Windows open menu.

I love VLC, but with these changes (Unsure when they occured, I've been putting up with them for a long time, hoping with each version that someone would have figured this out), it is increasingly bothersome to use.

random
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Open Menu Horrors

Postby random » 30 Jan 2009 08:09

First of all, why are there two Open menus to begin with? Open and Advanced Open?
Advanced open is for advanced users, while simple open is when you want to use windows shares.
- Upon navigating to a folder that is populated with files and folders, it may appear completely empty. After using the drop down box to select the exact same location that has already been navigated to, the files and folders reappear.
It appear completely empty because it only looks for registered extensions or media file types
- The function of the "Up One Level", back and forward buttons causes similar effects, however sometimes VLC finds things that are not even in the folder being navigated to. It often shows the previous state of the same folder, and not the current. Very annoying.
Its not possible to find files that are not belonging to the current folder. BTW, at this point you made no sense at all, back and forward buttons works as intended.
- Normally in Windows, entering a path or (as simple as "C:\") in the "File Names:" box would navigate you to that path, showing the paths contents. In VLC's "Advanced Open" it immediately attempts to open said path, obviously failing if you are trying to play your drive letter.
Then you should just use simple Open file. So what QT4's file browser doesn't behave like window's native.
With these annoying bugs, neither menu is intuitive, standard or useful and both need to be abolished in favor of the usual, standard Windows open menu.
This post makes no sense at all and is total crap B/S.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Jan 2009 10:27

The current "Open" (that is, not "Advanced Open") has the following problems:
- It opens at My Documents, okay maybe this isn't a problem and if the second problem didn't exist, it would be fine.
- It does not retain last-opened-location. That is, if I open the Open menu, navigate to C:\My Videos\ and open a file, opening that menu again would take me to My Documents, and not back to C:\My Videos\, depending on the path to your files this is extremely irritating for in anything except very casual viewing.
This will be fixed in the upcoming 1.0.
The advanced open in 1.0, will be removed as it is, and will display the normal native dialog, as for normal open.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vidica
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vidica » 30 Jan 2009 19:02

Sounds perfect, thanks.

CyberMew
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CyberMew » 28 Feb 2009 20:13

it also happens for open folders btw..i suggest a remember last open path or at least a default path, as most people save videos to a same folder instead of C:/Windows/System32 :lol:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”