Fullscreen only goes to 2nd display

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
aspade
New Cone
New Cone

Fullscreen only goes to 2nd display

Postby aspade » 18 Jan 2009 05:53

I have dual monitors setup as Dualview. Using VLC 0.98.a

When I double click the window to go to fullscreen, it is sent to the secondary display. This occurs regardless of whether the window was on the primary or secondary display when I double clicked it to go fullscreen.

I was able to work around this and get proper fullscreen on the primary display by enabling "Enable fullscreen interface" and then "Minimal View."

But going only to the secondary display is not polite behavior.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Fullscreen only goes to 2nd display

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Jan 2009 10:43

Use the 0.9.9-devel versions of VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vilkit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vilkit » 18 Jan 2009 18:26

came here to post a similar thread, i am having the same problem. Double clicking to make it full screen will make it full screen in the primary rather than the secondary. Being that nvidia & ati have disabled theatre mode (video mirror) on all their latest drivers, i was hoping that VLC would alleviate the matter by making sure that full screen would work correctly. The strange thing is Windows Media Player & Windows Media Player classic both correctly full screen in the screen you want it to. So far that is the only solution we have.

So there are three solutions

01) use windows media player which can properly full screen to the correct display
02) make your secondary display your primary... an enormous hassle.
03) the aforementioned solution provided by j-b which i haven't tested
Last edited by vilkit on 18 Jan 2009 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

aspade
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aspade » 18 Jan 2009 18:48

Thanks j-b.

The Jan 18 version of 0.9.9-devel would not run for me, it says "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect".

So I downloaded 0.9.6 and that works correctly, it goes fullscreen on whichever display the window was on at the time you double click it.

vilkit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vilkit » 18 Jan 2009 20:13

worked for me too. thanks. wonder why this feature was removed from the new version? that or it is broken by mistake.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Jan 2009 18:26

Broken by mistake.

rafeeq
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rafeeq » 25 Jan 2009 21:54

I have been having the same problem, that is, fullscreen only ever goes to the second screen. (This does not affect Media Player Classic.)

I have tried going to http://nightlies.videolan.org but I could not connect. Has the URL moved? I have searched Google but to no avail.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 26 Jan 2009 03:10

The nightlies site is down ATM:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55112

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

maxxyme
New Cone
New Cone

Postby maxxyme » 19 Feb 2009 13:14

Even with the latest 1.0.0 nightly ... this bug IS NOT FIXED!!!

Ref. to:
in viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55112

TOO BAD!!! :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Aaron
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aaron » 20 Feb 2009 03:22

I am using build 20090211 and also had the multi-monitor fullscreen problem.

I fixed it by going to "Tools | Preferences", clicking the "Video" item in the treeview and unchecking "Embedded Video". If you don't see a treeview, select the "All" radio button under "Show settings" to show all settings.

Once you've disabled embedded video, the video is displayed in it's own window separate from the controller window. From now on, going to full-screen will use the monitor the video is currently playing on to show the video full screen.

Thanks to SamVLC /shaga for posting the tip. I found it on the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55746&p=185530

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Feb 2009 08:26

Try the newer version: http://people.videolan.org/~jb/build/vl ... -20090218/, it fixes it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Aaron
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aaron » 20 Feb 2009 19:41

Fullscreen works great in build 20090218 on either monitor with or without embedded video. Thanks for fixing this.

tomthumb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tomthumb » 21 Feb 2009 06:39

Nearly 2 months I've been dealing with this. Big fan of VLC and not so much for MPC but had to abandon VLC to watch vids on my plasma due to this bug. Very happy to be able to use VLC again. Don't know what you had to go through to root out this bug J-B but I'm guessing given how long it has been around, quite alot. If I were female I'd offer to have your children... Guess you will have to settle for a bunch of thank you's and a donation to the project...

VLC ROCKS

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Feb 2009 09:29

Nearly 2 months I've been dealing with this. Big fan of VLC and not so much for MPC but had to abandon VLC to watch vids on my plasma due to this bug. Very happy to be able to use VLC again. Don't know what you had to go through to root out this bug J-B but I'm guessing given how long it has been around, quite alot. If I were female I'd offer to have your children... Guess you will have to settle for a bunch of thank you's and a donation to the project...

VLC ROCKS

You are welcome.

The fix will be in VLC 0.9.9 and VLC 1.0.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”