Stays Running in task manager (intermittently)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Aquatarkus
New Cone
New Cone

Stays Running in task manager (intermittently)

Postby Aquatarkus » 16 Jan 2009 16:51

Just a mention on VLC not shutting down completely every time.
I'm on 0.9.8a now, but have noticed it the last few revs.
See it on 2 different machines running XPsp2 (home and work)

The play screen goes away, the video quits, but the running icon remains in the taskbar and
I need to "end task" it with the task manager to truly quit VLC. Sometimes multiple icons get stuck
in the taskbar, but task manager only reports one instance still running. (but intermittent, not every time)
It's harmless and easy enough to force the quit, but I thought it worth a mention.

I tried to force duplicate it for better info in this post but it is hard to lock down the pattern that triggers it.
It happens playing back videos in MPG, WMV, or AVI, but can't narrow it down any one specific.
The only pattern I notice, is that if I close VLC, then open a new video right away by doubleclicking the vid file, it
might be a factor. Perhaps the next video is starting up, before my last VLC run has really actually quit out of
XP. (may be confusing VLC or XP as to whether it really quit or not, but not 100% sure).

Anyway, just thought it worth a mention, in case others have seen this.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Stays Running in task manager (intermittently)

Postby VLC_help » 16 Jan 2009 17:53

There are some cases when VLC doesn't close down properly. Specially if it crashes, systray icon will stay (and vanishes when you hover mouse over it). There have been some changes related to possible issues in 1.0.0 series in case you want to test those.
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D (trunks are 1.0.0)

Aquatarkus
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Stays Running in task manager (intermittently)

Postby Aquatarkus » 16 Jan 2009 21:15

Awesome... thx
The 1.0.0 helped me narrow down and duplicate the issue.
In 0.9.8 and etc, I would never get a crash screen, so I assumed it simply wasn't
shutting down completely. With this 1.0.0 there is a crash window each time, and the
systray leaves the icon up.

So as I assumed above, it looks like I am making it crash by opening and closing videos too
fast , over and over. Might be user abuse on my part, using vlc to find or preview videos
in a hurry. I'll play some more and see.

The good news is one of my feature requests appears working in this 1.0.0-git-20090116-0005 version.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50571
I can now drag-resize my screen during looped playback, and it retains that dragged size until I
quit VLC completely. Thanks... 8)

The other half of that request was to keep a speed change during looped playback.
Maybe someday...
:)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”