JVLC Update

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chase
New Cone
New Cone

JVLC Update

Postby Chase » 12 Sep 2008 20:36

Hi there, community! First the obligatory congratulations to such an awesome piece of software. Been using VLC for years now, and I'm really happy with it.
Recently I read about JVLC and was intrested in giving it a go. Unfortunately there's few documentation out there, and to be honest it's still confusing me. Most of the posts here deal with compiling the library on one's own, what I DON'T NEED as long as there is a way to get it to run! However after going through a couple of layers of error messages, I've still not managed to get it to run under Windows.
------
A few problems I'm encountering:
- Is the library designed to provide a platform independend jar file, that will automatically load the correct native libraries? (The fact that there are a couple of platform specific releases suggests otherwise :( )
- I assume there is NO native code to be compiled into my project (as I want multi-platform support of course). But I still don't which libraries are needed at runtime. (Let's keep it Win:) My application goes past the loading process with libvlc.dll and libvlccore.dll, but I've also seen jvlc.dll being mentioned, which I assume is a combined package of these (?)
- There seem to be several class changes and quite extensive restructurings. (e.g. the class JVLCPanel seems to be stripped from later versions. The code used in older examples looks quite divergent from newer ones)
- Does Cygwin, MinGW or anything else have to be installed/set up correctly ?
- The subversion at http://trac.videolan.org/jvlc/ doesn't seem to be up to date, which is a little misleading. Am I right to assume http://jvlc.ihack.it/releases/ as the most recent place for precompiled packages ? (So 10-Mar-2007 is the latest Win release)
------
Generally - What I'd really like to know:
Is JVLC still in development, or not much more than an orphaned project ?
What is the latest state of the library, and (hopefully) where can I get recent example code ?
Finally (even if I'm asking for much), I'd like a brief outline on how to *use* (rather than compile) the JVLC library.
Thanks in advance!

othon2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: JVLC Update

Postby othon2000 » 13 Sep 2008 05:29

Hi Chase.

Guess we have exactly the same problem.
I can't get it to run under windows because the jar I've downloaded's not compatible with the DLLs I have.
This is the error raised when I try to play a video:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Error looking up function 'libvlc_media_new': The specified procedure could not be found.

If you might want to take a look, this is a topic I wrote about the project in which I need JVLC:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49743

XYBeR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby XYBeR » 20 Sep 2008 14:06

hey chase,

jvlc's jar is plaform independent, at least works on linux and windows. if you use it, no native codec linked to your code, because jvlc is not a vlc rewrite in java, only a wrapper for the native vlc.

cygwin/mingw is not required to use with jvlc.

the latest jvlc is http://jvlc.ihack.it/releases/jvlc-core ... 080727.jar, as you can see it on http://trac.videolan.org/jvlc/wiki/download.

the mentioned version works without problems with the latest windows version of vlc.

fstani
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fstani » 24 Sep 2008 00:49

Hello,

I'm trying to start a project as well using VLC in windows / linux.

I've tried to run a sample test, I've downloaded the latest CORE library, and have vlc installed in my pc.

I wanted to know if anyone has a sample client .java file that can be shared, so I can know how to create a player, and put it in a Swing component for display.

Thanks a lot

XYBeR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby XYBeR » 29 Sep 2008 21:43

polarbear21
New Cone
New Cone

Postby polarbear21 » 16 Dec 2008 20:42

Hi XYBeR,

Do you have your working exaple for eclipse? My OS is Vista.

Thank you

XYBeR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby XYBeR » 16 Dec 2008 20:54

yeep, i have a working example inside an eclipse project. if you explicitly need it, i can upload it to somewhere (rather big...). but the only trick in my examples (either in netbeans or eclipse) is that i put vlc's dlls to the working directory.

XYBeR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby XYBeR » 18 Dec 2008 16:07

http://xyber.abt.googlepages.com/workingjvlcexample

an eclipse version is available now

cc82
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cc82 » 07 Jan 2009 13:23

Hi everybody...

I'm new in this forum, ans i'm new as well into using jvlc. I've read a lot about this topic, i've read the posts in the forum, but i'm afraid i haven't succeed into making my jvlc application run. I'm using windows xp, and my error is that the libraries can not be linked, I specify the path, but i don't know why they are not found.

I just want to make the vlcClient run, or sth similar. I mean, I want an application with the video on it, in the same window, similar to the vlcClient. I'm stuck on this, and I don't know what to do, cause I only get errors that I don't know how to solve cause I'm not a very experienced programmer...

Please, if you could help me I would be grateful. I'm using eclipse to develop the applications. My idea is start again download everythig I need again, so, if you could help me with the steps i should take it would be grate.

Thank you very much!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”