Have all videos open in monitor 2 by default

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Inaudible-Whisper
New Cone
New Cone

Have all videos open in monitor 2 by default

Postby Inaudible-Whisper » 19 Dec 2008 04:06

Hey, this problem has only just crept up over the last few days. I open a movie on my second monitor; my TV, but upon opening the next movie in the playlist it reverts back to the first monitor. I have only changed some settings in the .host file to allow me to connect VLC Remote with VLC Player using my iPod Touch. This is great as I can switch to any piece of media from my bed, or couch using the iPod as a remote but now it's opening said file on my monitor which is useless. I have managed to get it to stay on monitor 2 by changing the video output module to Direct X and setting the Direct X default monitor to 2 but this flashes the screen closing Aero and making the computer look ugly. Not a problem when I'm watching movies in bed or on the couch, but it is if I'm sitting at my desk using my PC whilst watching a movie and I would prefer not to change the settings each time depending on where I want to watch the movie from. Surely there's an easier way to select a default monitor for VLC to open in all the time?

Thanks.

Kupotek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Have all videos open in monitor 2 by default

Postby Kupotek » 19 Dec 2008 10:43

I also noted when watching anything on a secondary monitor, switching to fullscreen always moves the video
to the other monitor. The only solution I have is to revert to a much older version of VLC.

VLC-Fan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLC-Fan » 19 Dec 2008 14:27

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53580#p175797
I hope this will help a little bit, especially for second post. The settings for Displays are broken since 0.9.7. And default setting on windows is DirectX, so it doesn't help to set it on DirectX manually, nor set the standard monitor manually. I wish they fix it soon.

Best regards and happy christmas or chanukka
VLC-Fan

Kupotek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Kupotek » 19 Dec 2008 16:44

The problem isn't just this though which has been ongoing for like a year or more,
but that if I do revert to an older version which works, the screenshot taking
capability is broken and causes the program to crash.

So finding a version of VLC where both of these functions actually do what
they're supposed to is literally impossible.

How could it take 2 years to fix this problem?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Dec 2008 17:32

Snapshot should work on 0.8.6i and newer. I don't suggest using any older versions than 0.8.6i (and download it from videolan.org mirror).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”