External audio track

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
schnorginator
Cone that earned his stripes

External audio track

Postby schnorginator » 30 Nov 2008 21:22

I have a movie with aac 5.1, which is not supported by my receiver, so I got an ac3 version of it. Is there anyway I can play this external audio track instead of the embedded aac one?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: External audio track

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Nov 2008 23:59

--input-slave... not that this will work.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 01 Dec 2008 03:26

Alternatively in the Qt4 (normal) interface go to:
Media >> Advanced Open File...

Select you video file. Tick "Show more options" then "Play another media synchronously..." and select the *.ac3 file.

Then when playing the video go to "Audio >> Audio Track >> Track 2" to select the second (or whichever it is) audio track.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

schnorginator

Postby schnorginator » 02 Dec 2008 00:00

thanks a lot, it worked. For a minute there I thought VLC was incapable of doing something relatively simple compared to its other features.

gweilo8888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gweilo8888 » 01 Jul 2009 01:07

Does this work for anybody in any current Windows version?

I've tried it with the current VLC 0.9.9 release, as well as the latest nightly builds of both 1.0.0 and 1.1.0, and it doesn't work in any of the above for me.

Here's what I'm doing:

Media :: Advanced Open File - Click Add and select my main movie file, click Show More Options, click Play Another Media Synchronously, Browse and Add my second audio file in the resulting popup. Click Select, then click Play.

Movie now plays with audio from the main movie file. If I right-click on the video and go to Audio :: Audio Track, or if I open the Audio menu and select Audio Track, I am only shown one track - the one from the main movie file which is currently playing. No secondary track is shown.

Just to confirm, my main movie file is an H.264 AVI file, and my second audio file is AC3-type with identical duration to the main movie file. I have tried this with several different sets of video and audio files as well, and to triple-check that my files aren't the issue, I am able to play them synchronously by running two VLC instances - one with the main movie file and muted audio, while the second instance runs my audio file. It's a pain in the neck to have to pause / unpause two players and cue them to the same points as each other while I jump around my movie files though, so while this proves the files work fine, it isn't a very useful workaround.

Would be interested to hear who on the Windows platform has this working, and which exact builds you're on. If it makes any difference, I'm running Vista Ultimate.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Jul 2009 18:17

During last November latest stable release was 0.9.6

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”