How to Play region locked DVDs with VLC media player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
santy070
New Cone
New Cone

How to Play region locked DVDs with VLC media player

Postby santy070 » 21 Nov 2008 10:02

Hi

Just struggling to play region locked dvd. please guide how I can play a region locked dvd using vlc media player.

Regards
Santy

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: How to Play region locked DVDs with VLC media player

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Nov 2008 10:49

VLC will just ignore the region, however, it is probable that your HARDWARE has a lock.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

jackowens
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jackowens » 21 Nov 2008 11:19

I have the same problem but with a basic difference.

I have a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion dv9700t laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate (64 bit) installed on it and with a Matshita BD-CMB UJ-120 ATA optical drive (Drive E) that is set for Region 1 DVD's. I prefer not to start using up the Region change options of that drive and have tried hooking up an external LG Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Drive F) to a USB port.

The problem I'm running into is that even though I put a Region 2 in the LG drive and specify Drive F (the external optical drive) the DVD won't play. Apparently the Matshita blocks it some way.

Does anyone know how to get around the problem? (I'm using version 0.9.6 of VideoLan.)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 21 Nov 2008 19:16

What error messages you get to VLC log? And are those DVDs new releases that you try to play?

jackowens
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jackowens » 22 Nov 2008 00:03

I open the VideoLAN program, go to the <Disc> tab, select the <DVD> radio button, put <F:\> (external LG disc drive) in the <Disc Device> text-box and click the <Play> button down below. The LG external disc drive then blinks for about five seconds, shuts off and nothing further happens.

The error message I get is, "Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://F:\'. Check the log for details."

How do I get to the log?

The DVD is "TAXI DRIVER", with Robert De Niro, that I bought in Paris.

I also tried using the trial version of <DVD Region+CSS Free> program, but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks for your interest.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Nov 2008 19:34

DVDfab decrypter is the best free one. Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before playback should tell you more.

santy070
New Cone
New Cone

Postby santy070 » 24 Nov 2008 07:01

Got some clue, but I am not sure weather it will work for others. I can now play all region DVDs except Region 3 by a simple trick in Vlc. I went to File menu of the media player (am using 0.8.6 version of vlc), then open disc, went to disc, then in the Disc device option I rewrote D:/VIDEO_TS and then clicked play.
This thing did the trick for me.
may be u folks try and discover a better one.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”