Disable mouse wheel changing volume

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Disable mouse wheel changing volume

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Oct 2008 17:24

Both GOM Player and Nero Showtime allow users to scroll/advance the video ahead using the mouse wheel without having it be on the video scroll bar. GOM is free. It is a real convenient feature, particularly by not having to worry if your mouse has drifted off the scroll bar region thereby causing you to blast the volume. Because of this feature alone, GOM is my default player and VLC get used infrequently. Simple features in software should be convenient. Scrolling the time is a simple feature.
And why should we decide to use YOUR way of doing it?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

burlo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby burlo » 05 Oct 2008 19:10

You are the ones that change the behaviour without any seemingly good cause.
Changing the sound is something you probably only do once when watching a video.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Oct 2008 19:18

You are the ones that change the behaviour without any seemingly good cause.
Changing the sound is something you probably only do once when watching a video.
Some people disagree...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

pmblsmft
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pmblsmft » 08 Oct 2008 04:28

VLC is the best media player. Fullstop.

I am not a programmer, but would it be a reasonable thing to add a configuration setting (preference) to select if mouse wheel is to be used solely for scrolling video and not audio?

I agree with the other posters here. The ability to scroll through video using the mouse wheel is one of the most useful features of VLC to me. I have no desire at all to change volume using the mouse wheel.

A new preference setting about this feature might keep everyone happy.

kemisti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kemisti » 11 Oct 2008 22:32

VLC is a great piece of software, which I've been using for years and always passing the word to people in need of a well-performing media player. This new iteration, however, shows how a small change in usability undermines the whole program and overshadows all the great content that has been added.

I don't believe I even have to discuss the usability issue this has aroused - The player now lacks proper seeking within a file without using precise mouse movements, which I find far more critical in average use than the ability to fluidly change the software output volume. A hotkey for percentual seeking could be considered as solution, but even that doesn't compare to the organic control a mouse wheel offers.

I just hope that the developers could swallow their pride and take the outcry here with seriousness instead of responding with belittling arrogance. Don't take my post as an assault towards yourself or your product - I still love what you do. It's just back to 0.8.6 for me with hoping that you would address this issue (yes, I do label this as one) in the near future.

kemisti from Finland

hernst42
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hernst42 » 11 Oct 2008 22:51

Hi,
If you mainly watch movies with VLC this behaviour is very annoying. I would also have the behaviour of 0.8.x back. So my current decision was to deinstall 0.9.x and reinstall the latest 0.8.x version so I could enjoy scrolling through the movies without placing the mouse exactly over the slider. I posted here to show that there might be a lot of other people who also think that way.

So I will stick with 0.8 till I can configure that behaviour also in a future version.

VLC is very great software which I also use for years now because it excatly fit my needs.
So please continue your good work and improve VLC to be as customizable as your users want.

Jx7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jx7 » 12 Oct 2008 19:33

j-b said that the volume in a video player HAVE TO BE managed by the mousewheel so you can't do anything... This is the good way! lol

If a video player don't work like j-b said, it's anormal...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Oct 2008 12:25

j-b said that the volume in a video player HAVE TO BE managed by the mousewheel so you can't do anything... This is the good way! lol

Seriously, go to hell...
The only reason I didn't fix it yet, is YOUR attitude.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Jx7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jx7 » 14 Oct 2008 22:21

Seriously, go to hell...
Oh really? And you SERIOUSLY think that we are going to believe this?

roflmao :lol:

If you don't want to fix it, just don't!
But you don't have to invent a stupid reason...

By the way, I was just writing what YOU wrote on IRC the 2nd of october 2008 at 00:46:13...

"[00:46:13] <j-b> le volume dans une appli de VIdéo doit être géré par la molette"

Are you agree with yourself? :p

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Oct 2008 22:44

Seriously, go to hell...
Oh really? And you SERIOUSLY think that we are going to believe this?
Don't belive me... I don't care...

Just read the various discussions and why there are all those preferences in the Qt module, there are reasons... Read the changes for 1.0 and see the more customisability introduced... If you don't see the work I did to improve the preferences in 0.9, I can't do anything for you.

I still think, that in an media player, especially one that can play audio, the audio should be control by default by the mousewheel. The code is done to change that behaviour, but not in 0.9.x because of your behaviour...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

MadlyMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MadlyMad » 15 Oct 2008 13:53

I do agree, that the volume of a decent player has to be controllable by mousewheel by default :wink:

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Oct 2008 17:04

I do agree, that the volume of a decent player has to be controllable by mousewheel by default :wink:
Well, solution is to do an option for that.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Jx7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jx7 » 16 Oct 2008 15:40

Don't believe me... I don't care...
Of course I don't believe you ! You didn't want to change it BEFORE I speak with you about that.
If you don't see the work I did to improve the preferences in 0.9, I can't do anything for you.
The only thing I see is that the v0.8 was more customizable but now I know why... lol
I still think, that in an media player, especially one that can play audio, the audio should be control by default by the mousewheel. The code is done to change that behaviour, but not in 0.9.x because of your behaviour...
There is a difference between :

"The volume in a media player HAVE TO BE managed by the mousewheel"

and :

"The volume in a media SHOULD BE control BY DEFAULT by the mousewheel"

I can be agree with the second but not with the first.

And "by default" means that the user can change it... and of course, if he change it, the mousewheel have another function choosed by the user but, obviously, it doesn't have to control the volume anymore!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Oct 2008 22:03

Of course I don't believe you ! You didn't want to change it BEFORE I speak with you about that.
You came and attacked me on IRC. You never tried to discuss...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Jx7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jx7 » 16 Oct 2008 22:49

You came and attacked me on IRC. You never tried to discuss...
ATTACK?????? Are you kidding me? I have never seen someone as unpleasant as you on IRC! I just tried to UNDERSTAND like I wrote to you so many times on the channel this day...

But your answers were ironics and I was the most courteous possible until the end of our unpleasant discution but "you didn't give a sh*t" like you said ; so please... don't be ridiculous saying that I attacked you and that I never tried to discuss... I paste our discution on page 2 of this topic and I put it again here because you seems to be skyzophrene or amnesiac (maybe both):

Code: Select all

[00:32:14] <Jx7> j-b ? [00:32:18] <j-b> non [00:32:20] <Jx7> first, hi [00:32:37] <Jx7> lu j-b. On peut se parler en français? [00:32:44] <j-b> oui [00:32:53] <j-b> english is better though [00:33:41] <Jx7> OK. Je me présente : je suis la personne qui a posté dernièrement concernant le problème du volume associé à la molette de la souris dans VLC et à laquelle tu as répondu [00:34:58] <Jx7> J'aimerais juste comprendre pourquoi tu ne réponds ni à ma question ni à mes remarques et que tu te contente d'une simple phrase aussi inutile qu'ironique? [00:35:17] <Jx7> en sachant très bien que je suis loin d'être développeur... [00:36:52] <Jx7> j-b ? [00:36:55] <smo_> oh [00:36:56] <j-b> Jx7: 1/ parce que je suis méchant. 2/ parce que ça attendra la version 1.0 de VLC, donc, pas urgent [00:37:04] <smo_> ^^ [00:37:19] <smo_> au moins c est clair [00:37:44] <Jx7> le 2/ aurait sûrement été bcp plus utile sur le forum... quant au 1/ : lol [00:38:25] <j-b> tu veux que je fasses quoi... ça me gonfle, c'est pas dans mes priorités et je rejoint thedj, les gens ne sont jamais contents [00:38:46] <Jx7> oui c'est vrai et je l'ai précisé en début de post. ON est jamais content ^^ [00:39:02] <j-b> patches are welcome [00:39:04] <Jx7> mais admet quand meme que coder en dur molette = volume et proposer d'ajouter une fonction en plus du volume c'est totalement inutile [00:39:10] <j-b> toujours, et encore [00:39:19] <Jx7> y'en aura surement un qui va nous pondre ca... [00:39:20] <j-b> Jx7: non, je suis pas d'accord [00:39:35] <Jx7> je serais curieux de savoir pourquoi [00:39:35] <j-b> Jx7: je doute [00:39:50] <Jx7> j'ai rarement (pour pas dire jamais sans certitude) vu ca dans un logiciel [00:40:17] <Jx7> soit on paramètre une fonction du logiciel à notre guise soit c'est codé en dur mais les deux en même temps... [00:40:42] <Jx7> si t'en doute c'est une mauvaise nouvelle pour les mécontents dont je fais partie :/ [00:40:50] <j-b> voilà [00:40:56] <j-b> mauvais e nouvele pour vous [00:41:16] <j-b> mais la seule chose qui changera c'est que je vais enlever les fonctionnalités [00:41:28] <j-b> donc, au moins, y aura une bonne raison de se plaindre [00:41:50] <Jx7> les fonctionnalités? tu veux dire le parametrage molette? [00:43:01] <Jx7> c'est ça j-b ? [00:43:07] <j-b> Jx7: l'action de la molette dans l'interface par défaut [00:43:35] <Jx7> ok bah je trouve ça beaucoup plus propre. apres on aime ou on aime pas mais c'est propre [00:43:46] <j-b> bah, non [00:43:53] <j-b> les gens vont encore se plaindre [00:44:30] <Jx7> oui mais là ils auront moins de raisons de le faire :p [00:45:04] <j-b> Jx7: je suis pas d'accord [00:45:42] <Jx7> encore une fois, je serais curieux de savoir pourquoi [00:45:52] <Jx7> mais t'as pas l'air tres bavard la dessus [00:46:13] <j-b> le volume dans une appli de VIdéo doit être géré par la molette [00:46:24] <Jx7> OK admettons [00:46:34] <j-b> donc [00:46:38] <Jx7> pkoi nous laisser la possibilité de reparamétrer cette molette dans ce cas [00:47:16] <j-b> parce que lorsque tu es en mode vidéo, tu peux vouloir faire autrement [00:47:54] <Jx7> oui mais ça désactive pas la fonction volume donc on se retrouve avec une molette qui fais DEUX choses à la fois... imagine le délire [00:48:04] <Jx7> c'est là que je trouve ça choquant [00:48:49] <j-b> non, c'est ennuyant, pas choquant [00:49:19] <Jx7> va pour "ennuyant" [00:51:25] <Jx7> donc VLC 0.9 est "eenuyant" sur un point alors qu'il ne l'était pas avant. Il a surement gagner d'autres améliorations au passage mais là il s'agit d'une fonction majeure dans un logiciel de lecture vidéo :/ [00:52:34] <j-b> Jx7: et ? [00:53:29] <Jx7> et un point ennuyant sur une fonction aussi importante et utile que le volume mérite d'être amélioré je pense [00:53:58] <Jx7> NB : je suis pas là pour initier une gueguerre, entendons-nous bien. Je cherche juste à éclairer ce point [00:54:28] <Jx7> quant à "le volume dans une appli de VIdéo doit être géré par la molette" <== qui a décrété ça? laissons les utilisateurs faire comme bon leur semble ! si môssieur tartanpion est habitué a faire avance et retour rapide bah c'est pas glop [00:54:29] <j-b> Jx7: noté, tu trouves ça ennuyant, et ? [00:55:00] <Jx7> bah comme je viens de le dire, ça mérite d'être amélioré vu à quel point la fonction volume est une fonctio basique ! [00:55:25] <j-b> Jx7: tu te répètes [00:55:41] <j-b> Jx7: et donc, ça doit être amélioré, et alors... [00:55:54] <Jx7> bah oui, tu n'as pas l'air de (vouloir) comprendre [00:56:00] <xtophe> Jx7: y a bcp de choses qui méritent d'être ameliorer dans vlc [00:56:05] <j-b> mais tu le fais exprès ou quoi? [00:56:07] <Jx7> j'en doute pas xtophe [00:56:13] <j-b> on a compris ton point depuis des lustres [00:56:25] <j-b> mais ça va pas réparer le problème [00:56:37] <xtophe> Jx7: malheuresement les journées ont seulement 24h [00:57:41] <Jx7> certes j-b. je venais juste en paler car sur le forum on a l'impression qu'on est pris pour des chieurs qui viennent juste râler pour râler... et face à des réponses si peu constructives bah je venais en discuter en live c'est tout [00:57:59] <j-b> non [00:58:17] <j-b> ça fait 30 fois qu'il y a la même demande, avec du blabla chiant sans arrêt [00:58:27] <j-b> en nous prennant pour des débiles [00:58:32] <j-b> comme tu es en train de le faire [00:58:39] <j-b> et ça m'a tellement gavé [00:58:44] <j-b> que je vais pas réparer [00:58:46] <Jx7> je suis bien d'accord avec toi xtophe. mais notez au passage que si vous aviez répondu que c'était effectivement un point "ennuyant" qui mérite d'être amélioré bah on aurait dit "chouette, les développeurs nous ont écouté... laissons les taffer sur ce MERVEILLEUX logiciel, bla bla bla..." [00:59:15] <Jx7> bah voilà... c'est typiquement ce genre de réaction qui NOUS gave aussi... [00:59:16] <j-b> bah, ouais [00:59:26] <j-b> mais vous m'avez tellement gavé, que je doute le faire [00:59:27] <Jx7> on se tape que des réponses méga courtes, méga ironique... [00:59:42] <j-b> parce que vous vous donnez même pas la peine de chercher le forum [01:00:03] <Jx7> ah parce que ce point a été abordé ailleurs sur le forum? [01:00:22] <Jx7> je suis modo ailleurs donc je comprendrais que ce soit pas normal [01:00:35] <Jx7> dans ce cas, dites que c'est redondant, lockez le post et basta [01:00:42] <Jx7> on cherchera [01:02:01] <j-b> Jx7: si tu cherchais un peu le forum, tu saurais que si tu utilises la molette au dessus de la timeline [01:02:08] <j-b> ça fait le scroll que tu veux [01:02:26] <j-b> et que si tu fais le molette au dessus de la vidéo, ça fait aussi ce que tu veux [01:03:07] <Jx7> ah bon???? et bien je vais tester ça dès demain et si je viendrais faire mon mea culpa en public si ça te va [01:03:23] <Jx7> pour moi molette était égal à volume dans TOUS les cas [01:03:44] <j-b> mais j'en ai rien à taper de ton mea culpa [01:03:53] <Jx7> lol [01:03:59] <j-b> je sais pas si vous comprenez le concept de temps libre ? [01:04:02] <j-b> et d'open source ? [01:04:02] <Jx7> t'es un comique toi... [01:04:10] <Jx7> t'es pas obligé de causer comme ça [01:04:53] <j-b> bah, euh, là, je sais plus quoi faire [01:05:04] <j-b> vu le nombre de fois qu'on me casse les noix avec ça [01:05:05] <smo_> perso la je m ecraserais Jx7 ^^ [01:05:08] <j-b> y a un ticket [01:05:11] <j-b> on a compris [01:05:21] <j-b> on fixera le ticket en temps et en heures [01:05:28] <j-b> quand ça sera la priorité [01:05:54] <Jx7> pardon smo_? raison ou tord, j'essaie de parler correctement alors j'aime bien qu'on en fasse de meme en retour [01:06:01] <Jx7> si ca le gave c'est pas ma faute... [01:06:14] <smo_> on peut pas se permettre d imposer un "support" sur des softs comme ca je trouve, apres je comprend la frustration dans certains cas [01:06:32] <Jx7> j'impose quedal [01:06:39] <Jx7> j'essaie juste de comprendre... [01:06:49] <j-b> non, mais on se faisait insulter quand la molette ne faisait pas le volume de base [01:06:49] <smo_> bah je connais pas toute la story... [01:06:52] <j-b> on le fais [01:06:56] <j-b> et on se fait engueuler [01:06:57] <Jx7> si on me repondais sur un autre ton ca serait peut etre deja terminé [01:07:20] <Jx7> smo_ bah si tu connais pas toute la story, ne fais pas de remarque ou alors va lire les réponses sur le topic [01:07:32] <smo_> bah pose uen question claire si les dev te disent on sait on va le faire a ce que j ai compris, bah on attend et voila... [01:07:52] <Jx7> non j-b... tu le fais peut etre mais on dénote quand meme qua ca a l'air de te faire chier [01:07:58] <smo_> pour une histoire de mollete ca va loin quand meme [01:08:07] <Jx7> de VOLUME [01:08:14] <j-b> non, de molette [01:08:16] <Jx7> fonction primordial dans un soft de lecture video [01:08:25] <Jx7> MOLETTE associée au VOLUME [01:08:25] <j-b> et oui, tu me fais perdre mon temps, [01:08:34] <Jx7> ok arretons nous la alors j-b [01:08:37] <Jx7> a bon entendeur... [01:08:40] <j-b> non [01:08:42] <j-b> y a un ticket [01:08:46] <j-b> tu commentes le ticket [01:09:08] <j-b> d'ailleurs, rien que la longueur du ticket montre bien pkoi on en a marre [01:09:16] <j-b> on a COMPRID [01:09:23] <j-b> et , c'est pas notre priorité [01:09:36] <j-b> mais on fermera le ticket quand on pourra [01:09:43] <j-b> mais 1/ arrêter de m'insulter [01:09:51] <Jx7> MOI j'insulte???????? [01:09:52] <j-b> 2/ de e faire perde mon temps [01:10:00] <j-b> 3/ de pas chercher dans le forum [01:10:05] <j-b> 4/ de pas chercher dans trac [01:10:28] * Jx7 lis les logs à la recherche d'une insulte cachée [01:11:11] <Jx7> quant aux autres points j'ai rien à répondre dans la mesure où, je cite, t'en as "rien à taper" de mon mea culpa [01:11:40] <Jx7> donc sur ce, je vous souhaite bien du courage et merci pour le temps consacré [01:11:42] <Jx7> ++ [01:11:43] <malc__> this conversation is apparently too much for me to bear, even though i don't know french. thanks for suggestions and au revoir. [01:11:47] * Départ: malc__ (n=malc@83.167.112.74) [01:12:22] <smo_> au revoir ^^ [01:18:23] <j-b> pfff [01:18:56] <smo_> t enerves pas ^^ [01:19:00] <j-b> mais si [01:19:05] <j-b> toujours pareil [01:19:31] <j-b> les gens ne lisent pas le forum, ni le trac et considère que leur problème est le plus important [01:19:42] <j-b> et que leur utilisation de VLC est la seule qui existent [01:19:45] <j-b> -nt [01:19:50] <smo_> je connais ca du haut de mes quelques script [01:19:57] <smo_> donc pour vlc j ose pas imaginer... [01:20:07] <j-b> et que donc, il faut réparer ça au plus vite sur notre temps libre [01:20:26] <smo_> j ai bien compris t inquietes [01:20:40] <Jx7> jamais dis un truc pareil...
English translation :

Code: Select all

[00:32:14] <Jx7> j-b ? [00:32:18] <j-b> no [00:32:20] <Jx7> first, hi [00:32:37] <Jx7> hi j-b. Can we speak in french? [00:32:44] <j-b> yes [00:32:53] <j-b> english is better though [00:33:41] <Jx7> OK. I introduce myself : I am the person who post recently in the VLC forum about the problem of the volume associated with the mousewheel in VLC. [00:34:58] <Jx7> I just would like to understand why you do not answer my question or my remarks and why you answer with a very simple and ironic answer? [00:35:17] <Jx7> knowing that I am certainly not a developer [00:36:52] <Jx7> j-b ? [00:36:55] <smo_> oh [00:36:56] <j-b> Jx7: 1/ because I am wicked. 2/ because it will wait for version 1.0 of VLC, therefore, no urgency [00:37:04] <smo_> ^^ [00:37:19] <smo_> at least it's clear [00:37:44] <Jx7> the 2/ would surely have been much more useful on the forum and for the 1/ : lol [00:38:25] <j-b> you want me to do what... it fills me, this is not in my priorities and I'm agree with thedj, people are never happy [00:38:46] <Jx7> yes, it's true and I wrote it in my post. WE are never happy ^^ [00:39:02] <j-b> patches are welcome [00:39:04] <Jx7> but you can admit that write mousewheel = volume and let us add another function for the mousewheel is totally useless [00:39:10] <j-b> again and again [00:39:19] <Jx7> anyone will certainly make this patch... [00:39:20] <j-b> Jx7: no, I'm not agree [00:39:35] <Jx7> I am curious to know why [00:39:35] <j-b> Jx7: I doubt it for the patch [00:39:50] <Jx7> I rarely (or never) see that in a software [00:40:17] <Jx7> etheir we can set a function like we want in the software, or it is hard-coded but both at the same time... [00:40:42] <Jx7> If you doubt it for the patch, it's a bad news for all the person like me that are not happy with this problem [00:40:50] <j-b> yep [00:40:56] <j-b> bad news for you [00:41:16] <j-b> but the only things that will change it's that I will remove features [00:41:28] <j-b> So at least there will be a good reason to complain [00:41:50] <Jx7> features? you mean the setting of the mousewheel? [00:43:01] <Jx7> is that correct j-b ? [00:43:07] <j-b> Jx7: the action of the mousewheel in the default interface [00:43:35] <Jx7> I find it much cleaner. We like it or not but it's cleaner [00:43:46] <j-b> no [00:43:53] <j-b> people will still complain [00:44:30] <Jx7> yes but that they have less reason to do so: p [00:45:04] <j-b> Jx7: I'm not agree [00:45:42] <Jx7> again, I would be curious to know why [00:45:52] <Jx7> but you don't seems very talkative on this point [00:46:13] <jb> the volume in a video application must be managed by the mousewheel [00:46:24] <Jx7> supposing it's true [00:46:34] <j-b> so [00:46:38] <Jx7> why let us the possibility to set this mousewheel in this case? [00:47:16] <jb> because when you're in video mode, you may want to do otherwise [00:47:54] <Jx7> yes but if I do that, it will not disable the volume function volume so after that, the mousewheel is doing two things at once ... imagine how shocking it is [00:48:04] <Jx7> this is where I find it shocking [00:48:49] <jb> no, it's annoying, not shocking [00:49:19] <Jx7> OK, "annoying" [00:51:25] <Jx7> So VLC 0.9 is "annoying" on a point when it was not before. He's probably better on many other points but not on this function that is basic and very important for a video software :/ [00:52:34] <j-b> Jx7: and? [00:53:29] <Jx7> and an annoying point on an important and useful function like the volume should be improved I think [00:53:58] <Jx7> NB: I'm not there to initiate a war, I hope you're OK with that. I just seeks to understand [00:54:28] <Jx7> and about "the volume in a video application must be managed by the mousewheel"<== who say that? let the users do as they want! if we are accustomed to advance and rewind, it's not cool [00:54:29] <jb> Jx7: OK, you find it annoying, and? [00:55:00] <Jx7> weel, as I said, it should be improved for a basic function like the volume! [00:55:25] <j-b> Jx7: you repeat [00:55:41] <jb> Jx7: so it must be improved, and so... [00:55:54] <Jx7> yes I repeat because you don't seem to understand (or don't want) [00:56:00] <xtophe> Jx7: a lot of things should be improve in VLC [00:56:05] <j-b> you do it intentionally or what? [00:56:07] <Jx7> I have no doubt on this xtophe [00:56:13] <jb> we have understood your point since a lot of time [00:56:25] <jb> but it will not fix the problem [00:56:37] <xtophe> Jx7: unfortunately a day have only 24 hours [00:57:41] <Jx7> certainly j-b. I was just talking on the forum because it feels that you think we are people who always grumble for nothing... and when I read the kind of answer you post on the forum, I prefer chat with you directly. [00:57:59] <j-b> no [00:58:17] <jb> 30 times the same request, with non-stop boring blah-blah [00:58:27] <jb> considering us for stupid person [00:58:32] <j-b> as you are doing [00:58:39] <j-b> and I was so annoyed [00:58:44] <j-b> that I will not fix [00:58:46] <Jx7> I agree with you xtophe. but note that if you had replied that it was an annoying point that should be improved, we thought it's great, developers have listened us so now let us improve this wonderful software, blah blah blah... [00:59:15] <Jx7> j-b, this is typically the kind of reaction that annoying us... [00:59:16] <j-b> yes [00:59:26] <jb> but you have so annoyed us that it's probably what I'll do [00:59:27] <Jx7> gret, short and ironic answers... [00:59:42] <jb> because you give not even bother to search in the forum [01:00:03] <Jx7> this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum? [01:00:22] <Jx7> I'm a moderator in a nother forum so I can understand that this is not normal if it's true [01:00:35] <Jx7> but in this case, write that it's redundant, lock the post and that's all [01:00:42] <Jx7> we will have a look [01:02:01] <jb> Jx7: If you were looking for a little in the forum, you know that if you use the mousewheel on top of the timeline [01:02:08] <j-b> you have the scroll you want [01:02:26] <jb> and if you use the mousewheel above video, it's also what you want [01:03:07] <Jx7> really?? well, I will test it tomorrow and if it's OK I'll come back on IRC for a mea culpa in public if it's OK for you [01:03:23] <Jx7> for me, the mousewheel was ALWAYS associated with the volume [01:03:44] <jb> but I don't give a sh*t of your mea culpa [01:03:53] <Jx7> lol [01:03:59] <jb> I don't know if you understand the concept of free time? [01:04:02] <j-b> and open source? [01:04:02] <Jx7> oh, you're a comic [01:04:10] <Jx7> you don't have to write like that [01:04:53] <jb> well, um, I don't know what to do [01:05:04] <jb> seen the number of times that someone break my nuts with it [01:05:05] <smo_> if I were you, I will stop here ^^ [01:05:08] <j-b> there is a ticket [01:05:11] <j-b> we have understood [01:05:21] <jb> we'll fix the ticket in time [01:05:28] <j-b> when it will be the priority [01:05:54] <Jx7> excuse me smo_? I can be right or wrong but I try to speak correctly so I appreciate when my interlocutor do the same with me [01:06:01] <Jx7> if it's annoying for him, it's not my fault... [01:06:14] <smo_> I think we can not afford to force a support on a software like this. Even if I understand the frustration in some cases [01:06:32] <Jx7> I don't force anything [01:06:39] <Jx7> I'm just trying to understand... [01:06:49] <jb> I was insulted when the mousewheel was not for the volume [01:06:49] <smo_> well, I don't know the whole story... [01:06:52] <j-b> we change it [01:06:56] <j-b> and now people are dissatisfied [01:06:57] <Jx7> if you answered me on another way it might already be finished [01:07:20] <Jx7> smo_ if you don't know the whole story, don't say anything or read the answers on the topic [01:07:32] <smo_> ask a clear question and if the developers tell you they know and they will fix it, wait and that's all [01:07:52] <Jx7> no j-b... maybe you do it but we can realize that it's annoying for you [01:07:58] <smo_> all that story only for a mousewheel [01:08:07] <Jx7> about VOLUME [01:08:14] <j-b> no, about mousewheel [01:08:16] <Jx7> vital function in a video software [01:08:25] <Jx7> OK so : MOUSEWHEEL associated with VOLUME [01:08:25] <jb> and yes, you make me lose my time, [01:08:34] <Jx7> ok so we can stop here j-b [01:08:37] <Jx7> see ya [01:08:40] <j-b> no [01:08:42] <j-b> there is a ticket [01:08:46] <j-b> comment the ticket [01:09:08] <jb> indeed, nothing but the length of the ticket shows why we are tired [01:09:16] <j-b> we have UNDERSTOOD [01:09:23] <j-b> and is not our priority [01:09:36] <jb> but we will close the ticket when we can [01:09:43] <j-b> but 1 / stop insult me [01:09:51] <Jx7> insulting ???????? [01:09:52] <j-b> 2 / lose my time [01:10:00] <j-b> 3 / not search in the forum [01:10:05] <j-b> 4 / not to look in the trac [01:10:28] * Jx7 read the logs in search of a hidden insult [01:11:11] <Jx7> about 2/ 3/ and 4/ I have nothing to answer because "you don't give a sh*t" of my mea culpa [01:11:40] <Jx7> So, good luck and thank you for your time [01:11:42] <Jx7> ++ [01:11:43] <malc__> this conversation is apparently too much for me to bear, even though i don't know french. thanks for suggestions and au revoir. [01:11:47] * Départ: malc__ (n=malc@83.167.112.74) [01:12:22] <smo_> goodbye ^^ [01:18:23] <j-b> pfff [01:18:56] <smo_> don't be angry ^^ [01:19:00] <j-b> yes I am [01:19:05] <j-b> always the same thing [01:19:31] <j-b> people don't read the forum, neither the trac and they consider that their problem is most important [01:19:42] <j-b> and their use VLC is the only existing [01:19:50] <smo_> I know that with my few scripts [01:19:57] <smo_> so I can imagine with VLC... [01:20:07] <j-b> and therefore we must fix it quickly on our free time [01:20:26] <smo_> I understand, don't worry [01:20:40] <Jx7> I never said that...

Gulliver
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gulliver » 17 Oct 2008 07:20

You guys are kidding?!?
The new Player has some nice features I long missed in the old version. Thank you very much for this!
But...
Not being able to disable this mouse wheel/volume function is just not suitable. It's against the whole philosophy of the VLC-player. Every hotkey should be changeable in the users favor.
There is nothing to discuss about it, sorry.
Until this is changed I have to use the KMPlayer, not as robust as the VLC but highly configurable.

And, j-b, there where more people than just Jx7 demanding an option for this function, read the thread again.
Don't make such a fuss about one persons attitude it will make you sick and we need your mind healthy and fit for further improvements :)

Keep on the good work!

Regards,
G.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Oct 2008 08:18

And, j-b, there where more people than just Jx7 demanding an option for this function, read the thread again.
Don't make such a fuss about one persons attitude it will make you sick and we need your mind healthy and fit for further improvements :)
Sorry, I work on my free time on it, there is a work around and this guy disgusted me to work on it. So this issue went back from top-priority to normal-priority.
As already stated it will be fixed in 1.0, but not before... If you don't like that, patch it or keep using 0.8.6 but stop breaking my balls.

And stop make me loose my time by doing long and useless threads, when I could be coding important stuffs.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Oct 2008 08:30

<Jx7> mais admet quand meme que coder en dur molette = volume et proposer d'ajouter une fonction en plus du volume c'est totalement inutile
Voilà, tu commences là dessus, après la blague d'introduction.
Au lieu de dire que ça ne te semble pas une bonne solution, tu dis que c'est inutile ou débile (si toi tu n'as pas dit débile, d'autres personnes avant toi l'ont fait)...
Bref, l'important c'est que tu portes un jugement direct sur notre boulot, avant de discuter.

De plus, le thread sur le forum était du même style. Voilà... Maintenant, t'as plus qu'à attendre que on ait du temps pour le faire, mais oui, c'est pas ma priorité vu l'attitude des gens. Si quelqu'un me donne un patch, j'appliquerais sans souci, bien sûr...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Jx7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jx7 » 17 Oct 2008 12:58

Cool! en français je serais plus compréhensible...
Voilà, tu commences là dessus, après la blague d'introduction.
Au lieu de dire que ça ne te semble pas une bonne solution, tu dis que c'est inutile ou débile
J'ai dis que tes réponses étaient inutiles. En effet, après mon premier post ou je tente d'être le plus explicite possible tu réponds "your patch is welcome"

no comment...
(si toi tu n'as pas dit débile, d'autres personnes avant toi l'ont fait)...
D'accord je vois... donc Je prend pour les autres en fait!!! On a peut-être tous le même avis sur ce sujet mais pour ma part j'ai été très correct et comme tu sembles encore une fois ne lire que ce qui t'intéresse, je te rappelle le début de notre conversation et surtout ta réponse :
<Jx7> Je me présente : je suis la personne qui a posté dernièrement concernant le problème du volume associé à la molette de la souris dans VLC et à laquelle tu as répondu
<Jx7> J'aimerais juste comprendre pourquoi tu ne réponds ni à ma question ni à mes remarques et que tu te contente d'une simple phrase aussi inutile qu'ironique?
<Jx7> en sachant très bien que je suis loin d'être développeur...
<Jx7> j-b ?
<smo_> oh
<j-b> Jx7: 1/ parce que je suis méchant. 2/ parce que ça attendra la version 1.0 de VLC, donc, pas urgent
<smo_> ^^
<smo_> au moins c est clair
<Jx7> le 2/ aurait sûrement été bcp plus utile sur le forum... quant au 1/ : lol
<j-b> tu veux que je fasses quoi... ça me gonfle, c'est pas dans mes priorités et je rejoint thedj, les gens ne sont jamais contents
Ça prouve deux choses : premièrement que c'est toi qui commencé à être ultra désagréable envers moi et deuxièmement que ta décision de ne rien faire avant la 1.0 était déjà prise contrairement à ce que tu essaies de nous faire croire...
Bref, l'important c'est que tu portes un jugement direct sur notre boulot, avant de discuter.
J'ai pourtant tout fait pour en discuter, j'ai été le plus courtois possible mais visiblement ça sert à rien...

J'ai d'ailleurs répété plusieurs fois que je venais juste pour comprendre :
[00:53:58]<Jx7> NB : je suis pas là pour initier une gueguerre, entendons-nous bien. Je cherche juste à éclairer ce point
[...]
[01:06:39] <Jx7> j'essaie juste de comprendre...
Si ça c'est pas courtois...
De plus, le thread sur le forum était du même style.
Même remarque... Je n'y suis pour rien, j'ai monté personne contre toi, à la base je voulais juste comprendre pourquoi cette décision avait été prise car je trouvais ça choquant et comme c'est un super logiciel, open source et avec un forum relativement actif, je me suis dis "pourquoi pas leur demander?" mais bon, vu la tournure que ça prend...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Oct 2008 17:04

mais bon, vu la tournure que ça prend...
Clair, arrête de m'attaquer et t'auras ta customisation....
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

deepone
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deepone » 18 Oct 2008 13:51

Seriously, go to hell...
I believe you... I'm seriously disturbed by being on the same side as this guy... :(
Please try to ignore him... :) ;)

I do know how open source works... I have contributed to other projects... I did spend some time looking into the code here and posted a suggestion for a solution... I would be pleased if you included something similar in a release soon but I demand nothing...

Have a nice day and don't let the whiners get you down... ;)

Jx7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jx7 » 18 Oct 2008 22:43

Je ne t'ai jamais attaqué et je ne le ferais jamais, tu peux en être certain.

Si cette modif arrive un jour alors j'en serais le premier ravi et peut être même le 1er à faire mes remerciements mais très honnêtement je me répète peut-être mais depuis le début, tout ce que je voulais c'est comprendre pourquoi ce changement qui, à mes yeux, me parait illogique. Y'a aucune attaque là dedans, c'est un avis perso et je voulais juste en discuter en groupe, fonction première d'un forum.

Bonne continuation et à bientôt peut être.
I believe you... I'm seriously disturbed by being on the same side as this guy... :(

[...]

As this sentence comes from you, I took it as a compliment

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Oct 2008 17:22

Je ne t'ai jamais attaqué et je ne le ferais jamais, tu peux en être certain.

Si cette modif arrive un jour alors j'en serais le premier ravi et peut être même le 1er à faire mes remerciements mais très honnêtement je me répète peut-être mais depuis le début, tout ce que je voulais c'est comprendre pourquoi ce changement qui, à mes yeux, me parait illogique. Y'a aucune attaque là dedans, c'est un avis perso et je voulais juste en discuter en groupe, fonction première d'un forum.

Bonne continuation et à bientôt peut être.

[...]

As this sentence comes from you, I took it as a compliment
Vraiment, tu es fatigant...
Pour la 100ème fois, parce que c'est le seul moyen d'avoir deux touches affectées à la même action dans VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Jx7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jx7 » 19 Oct 2008 20:43

Et toi tu es usant !!!

Un coup tu calmes le jeu et un coup tu le relances !

J'ai pas dis que j'avais pas compris, je t'expliquais le pourquoi du comment suite à ton dernier post....

Relis si t'es plus dedans!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Oct 2008 00:00

Chaque fois que je dois répondre pour la nième fois à un post, ça me fait perdre du temps dans le développement, alors oui, c'est fatigant.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”