English install instead of Chinese, please

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dlmohn
New Cone
New Cone

English install instead of Chinese, please

Postby dlmohn » 06 Oct 2008 16:12

I just installed VLC on my Chin Win98se system, but I do not read Chinese (my other family members do). Your streaming install routine detected the system language settings and chose Chinese language menus. How can I tell it to install in English, or else, download a pure English install module?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: English install instead of Chinese, please

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Oct 2008 17:52

Preferences, interface, cahnge language there.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

dlmohn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dlmohn » 06 Oct 2008 18:18

That's great! But, did you miss where I said, I cannot read Chinese? Which of the Chinese menu items says, for instance, "Preferences" or "interface"? :?

dlmohn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dlmohn » 07 Oct 2008 05:33

Nevermind. I found a workaround. I just copied the vlc.mo file from the locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES to the locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES folder. THEN I could locate Settings/Preferences/interface/language (scroll menu)!

As a note to the developers: it might be useful to ASK the user what language to install in, instead of auto-detecting the system settings (which could be set to the default displayed choice). Of course, if the question is in the same language as the default settings, and the installer cannot read that language, well....

:(

random
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby random » 07 Oct 2008 10:10

you can change your non-unicode program locale to english under control panel / regions on last tab.
Or you simply go to preferences by pressing ctrl+p or you can see the icon as tools and hammer under tools tab, doesn't seem too hard even for 10 years old person, what a shame that you can not read Chinese... anyway that would be another topic

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Oct 2008 17:56

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”