display "merges" subtitles in a video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
greendesert
New Cone
New Cone

display "merges" subtitles in a video

Postby greendesert » 26 Sep 2008 09:25

Hi All

I don't know if I am expecting too much from the latest version of Vlc. I use avimuxgui (there are other softwares also) to "merge" srt file with "avi" file.
I don't like to re-encode the files because that just deteriorate the quality of the video. After trying many softwares to do the merging, I found that
divx player and even the zoom player plays the subtitles but vlc does not. Of course, if I keep the srt and video file in the same folder, vlc displays
the subs but I want to merge them for cleaner look.

What I dont understand is why would vlc not accomplish this simple task when other players do that easily ?

MadlyMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: display "merges" subtitles in a video

Postby MadlyMad » 26 Sep 2008 11:54

Hi
I bet if you right click the video, then go to Video menu, VLC should have found the merged subtitle

I Think it always been like this in VLC, auto run extern subs but not merged ones, it's not such a bad behavior imho
cause he can't really know if he should display a sub or not (except with Langages tags, but thoses "simply merged files" don't have tags on their subtitles). So I personnaly prefer having to go in menus to add the subtitle I want to display, than having to go in menus to disable the subtitle I don't want.

my 2cts

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”